Judy Gard - All Done

Steve

We had a vet do the dew claws on our last litter - cleanly done and cauterized (not stitched). Very quickly done - and healed wonderfully. Happy to let anyone know who it was if they are looking for a vet in melbourne.

How much?

Good question - i'll have to dig out my receipts, but it wasn't a killer. And to top it off, she told off a vet nurse who didn't understand why they were getting their front ones done - said simply, because they are working dogs!

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had 4 pups in one litter that had back dewclaws - removal by my vet at 3 days old was $30 per pup. This was in Sydney. I waited while they were done, and took them home to mumma straight away.

T.

Around $30 a pup for front dew claws. Beautiful job too. Done at 24 hours and taken straight back to Mum who was outside.

I had 4 pups in one litter that had back dewclaws - removal by my vet at 3 days old was $30 per pup. This was in Sydney. I waited while they were done, and took them home to mumma straight away.

T.

Around $30 a pup for front dew claws. Beautiful job too. Done at 24 hours and taken straight back to Mum who was outside.

yes and such a difficult technical job too...... :laugh:

seen nancy gates nip em with a pair of teeny hemostats and not even a drop of blood , n now u need a BvSc to do it??? :)

Bloody hell are you kidding ? 12 Maremmas $360 for dew claws I have been doing myself for over 30 years!

hey i figured it. they have to do something to make up for all the $$$$$$$$$$'s lost since its been made public u DONT have to vaccinate every single iddy biddy year.

think of the hundreds of thousands lost yearly now there?

Well - back when docking was still legal, I had a litter of 9 Rotti pups done (and dewclaws at the same time) for $35 per pup...

Personally, I have no idea how to do it myself, and I reckon my vets charge reasonable rates to do it quickly and painlessly.

T.

Steve,

According to the date in the PDF, this was released in the leadup to the gazetting of the new docking laws when we were all closely observing things but we didn't come across this PDF.

Are those minimum standards for dewclaws enforceable under POCTA and/or DFNAA ? (If so, by which clauses?).

CC

Here in WA no vet will remove the dewclaws before three months and then only under a general causing so much more risk to the pups and a more substansial cut. Given how little effect it has on a pup when snipped at a couple of days old, you have to wonder how they are thinking.

Personally I wonder how much vets play a part in this decision making process as they can make more money if the pups have to wait so perhaps they are advising the powers that be.

Bloody hell are you kidding ? 12 Maremmas $360 for dew claws I have been doing myself for over 30 years!

hey i figured it. they have to do something to make up for all the $$$$$$$$$$'s lost since its been made public u DONT have to vaccinate every single iddy biddy year.

You do in Victoria and NSW - no choice mandatory code.

whats with the "snipping"?

nancy gate didnt cut anything, she would use a small hemostat to clamp the dewclaw and flick the nail out with her finger nail?

gone in a flik and no bleeding at all and the pups didnt even notice? although they were newborn.

i saw her do hundreds and since i had quie a few she bred to look after when be became ill, there wasnt a single one grew back. me? too squeemish

nancy gate didnt cut anything, she would use a small hemostat to clamp the dewclaw and flick the nail out with her finger nail?

gone in a flik and no bleeding at all and the pups didnt even notice? although they were newborn.

i saw her do hundreds and since i had quie a few she bred to look after when be became ill, there wasnt a single one grew back. me? too squeemish

I think snipping would be outlawed too :thumbsup: I meant vaccinations .In Vic and NSW you HAVE to vaccinate every year or have a note from your vet to get out of jail that its not in the dog's best interest. More money.

I think snipping would be outlawed too :thumbsup: I meant vaccinations .In Vic and NSW you HAVE to vaccinate every year or have a note from your vet to get out of jail that its not in the dog's best interest. More money.

are you sure?

i know i was told some ten years ago that i did not need to vaccinate yearly that its not good for their immune system n the teller was my vet.

i have used two other vets in that time and they too have said the same, none of them have offered me anything in writing though.. soo are you supposed to ask for it?

are you sure?

i know i was told some ten years ago that i did not need to vaccinate yearly that its not good for their immune system n the teller was my vet.

i have used two other vets in that time and they too have said the same, none of them have offered me anything in writing though.. soo are you supposed to ask for it?

Our dogs current vacc cards are 'signed' off for 3 years, would that count as written evidence?

Victoria 3.2 Vaccination and health care of breeding animals

The proprietor must ensure that in the twelve months prior to breeding, all dogs must be fully vaccinated against distemper, hepatitis and parvovirus. Vaccination against canine cough and checking for heartworm infection is recommended prior to mating.

All cats must be fully vaccinated against feline infectious enteritis and feline respiratory disease in the twelve months prior to breeding. All breeding queens and stud toms must be tested negative for Feline Leukaemia Virus (Fe-LV) in two blood tests at least three months apart before being used for breeding. Fe-LV free breeding stock must not share accommodation with untested, partially tested or Fe-LV positive cats.

NSW 8.2.1.6 Dogs must be vaccinated against distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus and canine cough in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations, unless with the written approval of a veterinary practitioner.