> Micro-chipping Prior To Dogs Victoria Registration Be Compulsory

SwaY

SP - there was another one issued - see below:

Compulsory Micro-chipping from 2012

At the October 2010 ANKC Conference it was resolved that micro-chipping prior to registration be compulsory across all states by

1st January 2012.

Further information on the implementation of this decision will be forwarded from the ANKC in due course.

The notice will appear in the DOGS Victoria gazette (February edition) and on the DOGS Victoria website (from yesterday).

SP - there was another one issued - see below:

Compulsory Micro-chipping from 2012

At the October 2010 ANKC Conference it was resolved that micro-chipping prior to registration be compulsory across all states by

1st January 2012.

Further information on the implementation of this decision will be forwarded from the ANKC in due course.

The notice will appear in the DOGS Victoria gazette (February edition) and on the DOGS Victoria website (from yesterday).

Yes, that is the original email I got, word for word. Then I received the recall one. Weird.

That will cause heaps of problems for GSD breeders that microchip and tattoo. We register first so that the tattoo is linked to the microchip and the registration name and number of the animal. Here in NSW, most of the tattoo officers also microchip our pups at the same time as tattooing and that info is then recorded on the registration papers.

Having to microchip before registration will be a major pain in the arse and possibly open our schemes up to errors that wont be known about until you come to xray at 12 months for hips and elbows.

I hope that the GSDCA jumps on this from a great height.

I don't like it, either. What if you want to register the pups at 4 weeks??? At the time when you are organizing homes puppy packs etc you don't need to be worrying about getting the registrations in too (also that way you can hand the papers over when the pups get picked up).

I managed to get mine registered via the express service so was done in 2 days but I wouldn't bank on it lol.

Eta what if you haven't chosen your pick pup at the time of microchipping? Not such a problem if the pups are the same colour but you can't really have a pup chipped as black but registered as yellow for eg.

Edited by SpikesPuppy

We have had the rule here for a couple of years now (at least) - doesnt seem to cause any problems.

Justine

Bustabones SBT Tas

Agreed Jus, it's more of a pain getting a dog from Vic and then having to microchip it when it gets here.

That will cause heaps of problems for GSD breeders that microchip and tattoo. We register first so that the tattoo is linked to the microchip and the registration name and number of the animal. Here in NSW, most of the tattoo officers also microchip our pups at the same time as tattooing and that info is then recorded on the registration papers.

Having to microchip before registration will be a major pain in the arse and possibly open our schemes up to errors that wont be known about until you come to xray at 12 months for hips and elbows.

I do not see that this is not overcomeable just need to think outside the square and go with change.

I don't like it, either. What if you want to register the pups at 4 weeks??? At the time when you are organizing homes puppy packs etc you don't need to be worrying about getting the registrations in too (also that way you can hand the papers over when the pups get picked up).

I managed to get mine registered via the express service so was done in 2 days but I wouldn't bank on it lol.

Eta what if you haven't chosen your pick pup at the time of microchipping? Not such a problem if the pups are the same colour but you can't really have a pup chipped as black but registered as yellow for eg.

SP I have been microchiping mine before registration ever since it came in.

I do not think giving the papers on pick up of pup is a biggie.

Yes, as Miss Danni stated will cause problems with gsd’s litters as we microchip and tattoo puppies at the time and that is at 8 weeks of age.

Why can't you still do that, then send in your registration forms?

Many people send puppies home without papers as they are still pending.

I must say i find it weird that people register pups under 6-8 weeks of age, glad they know what should be on Main Reg so early.

Yes, as Miss Danni stated will cause problems with gsd’s litters as we microchip and tattoo puppies at the time and that is at 8 weeks of age.

Why can't you still do that, then send in your registration forms?

Many people send puppies home without papers as they are still pending.

I must say i find it weird that people register pups under 6-8 weeks of age, glad they know what should be on Main Reg so early.

I agree with this...why should it make any difference that chipping/tattoo be done at eight weeks and be a problem? So you keep your pups for an extra week or two. No rule says we have to let them go at precisely eight weeks..many breeders hang onto them longer for many reasons. I had Cresteds and wouldn't let them go before 12 weeks...other people haven't decided their picks so hang on for another week or so to be sure on what they are picking. No drama really.

I think it's great that mandatory chipping is coming...it's what I'm used to and embrace the rule. I chipped toy dogs as young as 4 weeks without any issues...so for those that go on about their chihuahua's being too small....that's nonsense. But it's like so many things, and this included tattooing...when it became mandatory, people yelled about it...found ever reason to say it was faulty, but it came in and people got used to it...then chips came along and those same people that screamed about tattoos, bellowed about chips...didn't trust them, too tramatic for pups to be done, yadda, yadda, yadda.....

Of the thousands of pups I've chipped over the years for myself and others, compared to the hundreds of pups I tattoo'd, I"ll take the no squeek response of the insertion of the chip over the discomfort of tatooing any day of the week.

Mandatory identification is a positive thing....if it means keeping pups a little long to ensure paperwork is processed....what's the big deal....a few more days of poop to clean up....

Ive never owned a GSD so this may seem like a silly question but why do you tattoo a GSD anyway?

ETA. Disregard above question. Just looked at GSD club of Vic site and found the answer. However it poses another question. If tattooing is done to provide a permanent individual identification of the dog (according to GSD club of Victoria), and microchipping also provides a permanent individual identification why do both. Surely chipping means that tattooing is no longer necessary?

After all they are all done at about the same age. Why the need for two forms of ID?

Edited by yarracully