How Do You Get Past The Heartache Of Not Having A Dog?

Bluefairy

I have owned dogs all my life, cross breeds and pedigree ones.

My last pup had to be returned to her breeder because of a problem with the soil in our back yard. In the last 10 years we have lost 2 dogs to cancer, one was 8 the other 11 months. The pup showed similar symptoms, so after a lot of researched it was found to be the soil. An old house containing lead paint, lead pipes and lead on the roof was buried in the ground of the empty block we bought and placed our house on. It appears the lead has now leeched up to the surface causing the dogs to get sick. We have a 24/7 indoor cat that has never been sick, so we think its because the dogs went outside that they came in contact with it.

We have had lead testing done on us and we are within normal limits, but we don't normally go into the back yard anyway. But OH has higher levels as he works in the yard. We are in the process of getting this problem fixed, but in the meantime I couldn't watch another dog die so we returned the pup, she has been rehomed and is loved as much as we loved her.

That was 2 1/2 months ago and it has been heartbreaking with out her. Not having a dog around at all is so depressing. We are not going to get another dog until this problem has been rectified.....but how do you get past the lonely feeling of something is missing, and you know its a companion....its just so hard.

How do you do it?

BF

Oh, that's so sad Bluefairy. :(

I cant answer your question. Last year my dog was pts and I missed her, and having a dog in general, so much that within 3 months I had a new dog.

Its such an empty, lost feeling isnt it?

Do you have a timetable for the yard? Maybe use that time to research a new breeder, get on a waiting list for a rare breed, something that makes you see the dog bed at the end of the tunnel.

Hugs, I really feel for you. :laugh:

I am so sorry for your situation. It must have been so heartbreaking giving your pup back but it shows what a good owner you are to put your pups needs first. I can only hope your soil quality can be brought to safe levels as quickly as possible. Perhaps you could put all that love for dogs into volunteering at a shelter, perhaps walking dogs, until you are able to get your own again. I sincerely hope the soil in your yard can be made safe very soon. I cannot even imagine how this is done without removing it all to a great depth. I hope you were able to get some sort of compensation or assistance from where you purchased your land if it was a developer. This serves as a warning to anyone buying a block of land that has had an old house demolished on it. It is scary stuff.

Thank you,

No time line yet. We are hoping for the end of next year maybe. The breeder of my last pup (Pug) has offered us a replacement pup as soon as we are ready....but just not sure.

When second to last pup (11 month old died) I could hardly get past the 3 month mark before I started looking. I did say I wasn't going to get anymore dogs.....but my life is so empty without that slobbery face being shoved into yours, or them trying to sit next to you on the armchair when theres no room, or you have a shower and someone is patiently waiting at the door when you open it.....I miss it so much I could cry....

mokhahouse ~ the old man we bought the block off has since died (old age). I live in a tiny town of 500 people, so no shelters, pounds, anything near me for 300kms.

:ange: ~ moving isn't an option either. We are tied to this place, OH has retired and we are both on pensions.

BF

Edited by Bluefairy

Oh BF, you had to give little Zoe up?? I'm so, so sorry :laugh: You obviously loved her very much. You did what you had to though to look after her health. Big hugs to you.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer. Maybe with time, and the knowledge that eventually you will get another dog, it will get a bit easier...

I suppose you could get a kitten and keep it indoors with your other cat... not the same as a little puppy-shadow, but kittens are fun :( (probably more fun than herb plants anyway, corvus :( )

ETA - BF, if it doesn't upset you too much, stick around DOL and let us know how you're going. I'd love to eventually hear all about a dog you get in the future, your Zoe stories have been great.

Edited by Saxonpup

I'm so sorry you had to give up your pup. :(

Do you have a dog rescue shelter nearby or a WIRES network? You'd be surprised how many who for different reasons find themselves dogless but fill that gap by volunteering with animals.

re Rabbits: my sister had a desexed male Rex, litter trained and amazing 'doggy' personality and a coat of velvet that didn't shed as heavily as the long coat breeds. They do like to nibble things though. :laugh:

Do you have neighbours with dogs? Perhaps you could offer to walk them, or put up some flyers to offer pet sitting/dog walking :(

I really understand. I spent my childhood desperate for a dog. In some ways it does get easier, but know that you did the right thing for your little girl.

:laugh:

That was 2 1/2 months ago and it has been heartbreaking with out her. Not having a dog around at all is so depressing. We are not going to get another dog until this problem has been rectified.....but how do you get past the lonely feeling of something is missing, and you know its a companion....its just so hard.

How do you do it?

BF

By knowing that all the work you do will culminate in you being able to have another and that this is what you are working towards. There will be that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, in the shape of a puppy. But you have to wait for the best :laugh:.

How sad for you, Bluefairy. But how completely selfless.

I wish for you good karma.

Regards

Erny

Edited by Erny

Oh BF - i do miss hearing about Zoey's adventures but you did the right thing and you know that she is happy and healthy at her new home.

Is another indoor cat an option? Before we were able to get Jager i had to make do with Kira (devon rex - with fur) she is the closest i could get to a dog without actually getting a dog. She is our little shadow and has to be with us all the time, if she cant be on you or under your shirt, she has to sit as close to you as possible, either on the arm of the chair or on the desk watching you type at the computer. She is very affectionate and follows me to bed every night just until i go to sleep and then she heads back up to sit with my boyfriend. She even plays fetch.

Devon Rex's are very dog-like in their behaviour.

Just an idea....

I had to wait 15 years before I could have a dog due to living in rented units in Sydney and just not being able to have one.

I adore all animals but particularly dogs. I used to housesit for people who had dogs (for nothing) and for 3 years I volunteered at the Animal Welfare League, walking dogs and giving them some attention. The poor dogs really needed and appreciated it plus I was able to tell anyone looking at them a little bit about the dog.

I'd perhaps offer to walk people's dogs or feed them when they go away, things like that.

I lost my big boy 2 months ago and I cry everyday, his bed is by the back door still and there are reminders of him everywhere. I am a little different to you as I can go get another dog but we only want another CASD and there is only one breeder that I want another from. I will be waiting a long time possibly years for another and that hurts too but we have made the decision and are commited to it. I am hoping to get a pup from a mating from his brother, at least that way he will still be a part of our family even if it is just a genetic link. This time we are hoping to get 2 as they are such an amazing breed that I can not ever imagine another breed fitting so perfectly into our home and family.

I do have another little fluff bum but she is very ill and it is only a matter of time before I lose her but I keep pushing that loss to the back of my head as it will be absolutely soul destroying when the time comes.

Edited by casowner

Is there anyway you could have dog but only keep it in the house and not let it into the backyard. Kind of like if you had an apartment, you would just have to take the dogs for regular walks and toilet breaks etc? If the cat is ok inside it might be an idea??

I currently live in an apartment and am dogless at the moment. We have two cats in an attempt to stop me going crazy but it's not quite the same I know.

I understand your pain. I had to PTS my Golden at the start of the year and it was horrible. I remember driving somewhere a few months later and seeing a man walking his Golden and I burst into tears in the car :) .

At the time I new it was not possible to get another dog because we were about to move onto our block whilst we build. Our block is fenced on 3 sides and the front fence is just temporary builders fencing. There is no trees or garden for shade and once we get into the swing of things, no time for training. My brain know this is not the time to buy a pup but my heart just does not care! Thankfully my head wins each time I get close to looking for a pup.

Just keep reminding yourself that you are doing the right thing, bringing a pup home right now is far too dangerous and the wait will be worth it in the end!

Would it be considered safe in your yard if you concreted or paved with some sort of protective liner underneath for a pup to run on that area only. I know its not ideal but perhaps you could have a sand pit for digging and plenty of shade with shade sails until such time that the grassed area is fine. Is it a risk to just be near the grass, I suppose if the soil blows around at all it could be inhaled.

I just feel terrible for you. I went without a dog for 14 long years. Partly because I did not want my heart broken again. With work and children( with asthma triggered by dog and cat saliva) I felt I did not have enough time to devote to a pup. Look at me now though. In the space of two years I have made up for it with 2 dogs and 2 cats.

I am not sure what breed of dog you had but could it be kept inside with an indoor loo tray and lots of walks off the property? If you waited just 6 months or so then perhaps it is a solution for the short term until the yard is safe again.

I'm so sorry BF. It really is quite an adjustment without a dog. I lost my best friend 3 years ago and have not had a dog since. I didn't want a dog for a long time after she went..... but still spent lots of time around dogs through various events.... dog shows, sheep herding events, dogsledding etc... It is really difficult being without your best friend. This year though, I have been petsitting for a lot of dogs and a couple of cats. I love it :eek: Last fortnight I looked after a 16 week old Cav/pug cross. This week I am looking after an approx 18week cocker spaniel cross puppy for 2 weeks :thumbsup: That has helped a great deal, but I hate it when I have to leave them (I have mostly been house-sitting at the dogs houses, but the puppies are staying at my place this time). For me, it's not the same as having your own dog though (you have that extra special bond with your own dog I think). I look forward to having my own best friend again some time soon...... so that is something to be excited about!! I need something to look forward to :D

Could you volunteer walking dogs at a local shelter, or petsit other people's pets at their homes???