Gazebo Recommendations Please

Mikijak

Ok, so after seeing quite a few gazebos in pieces after a gale blowing through one show a few weeks ago :eek: I know that I need to upgrade mine as I bought it at one of the K-Mart / Big W / Target stores.

I saw OzTrails in pieces, as well as the cheaper versions. I also saw OzTrails still standing. Someone has suggested Altegra.

So, what do you use, how does it hold up during strong winds, how do you secure it? :laugh:

I did go around to check out the one's that were still standing and found some great ways to tie them down but I would like to know other peoples thoughts before I go and spend a bucketload of money on a gazebo if I really just need to buy stronger ropes and tie-downs.

I know that none of them are 'gale proof' but would just like to get an idea of what stand up the best :)

Ah yes, nothing quite like watching a whole bunch of gazebos do the dance of the demented tarantula in high wind. :laugh: A whole bunch got consigned to the scrapheap at Bairnsdale this year.

What's your budget? Under or over $1000?

I have two gazebos:

A 3 x 3m Quikshade Pro (aka the pink and purple palace) - big, heavy (28kg of aviation grade aluminium), cumbersome (1.5m long) to transport and expensive but bloody strong. I've had it set up in weather that sees other people rapidly disassemble theirs and its never batted an eyelid. These are the gazebos used by rally teams etc. I secure it with pegs in all 4 feet and double guys (two per corner) via the patented Poodlefan guyrope securing system* and the only thing that's ever budged on it was the tent pegs ( so I got longer ones). For multiple day shows, for really hot days or for gusty weather, this is my pick.

An Oztrail compact. Nowhere near as strong or as cool when its really hot but with pegs in the feet, the canopy guy ropes used AND 4 additional guy ropes tied direct to the frame, its pretty strong. I'd not leave it set up at full height overnight though.. EVER. Way easier to transport though if size is an issue.

Always cross your guy ropes diagonally along the sides of the gazebo rather than stretch them out from corners - you get far more stability this way. You'll void the warranty on a Quikshade unless you use guy ropes and frankly a lot of gazebos I see collapsed have been pegged by the feet only.

* PFGS2 As used and recommended by BittyMoPeep on the Red Pagoda also. :eek:

Edited by poodlefan

I recommend buying heavy duty pegs whatever gazebo you go with, I ditched the little nails my oztrail came with and bought 40cm long thick pegs, I use one in each leg and one for each guy rope, it makes a huge difference, we had a few gazebos go walkies in a bug gust of wind at a trial a few weeks ago, their little nail pegs just pulled right out, mine didn't budge and it had walls on it which would have caught air as well. Didn't twist the gazebo either although I have heard of them bending before.

What size is your quikshade one PF?

I recommend buying heavy duty pegs whatever gazebo you go with, I ditched the little nails my oztrail came with and bought 40cm long thick pegs, I use one in each leg and one for each guy rope, it makes a huge difference, we had a few gazebos go walkies in a bug gust of wind at a trial a few weeks ago, their little nail pegs just pulled right out, mine didn't budge and it had walls on it which would have caught air as well. Didn't twist the gazebo either although I have heard of them bending before.

What size is your quikshade one PF?

3 x 3m. If they made a 2.4 x 2.4 that folded smaller than 1.5m, I'd have one like a shot.

Oztrail compact here too. Use the heavy duty steel pegs from the camping store and guy rope it securely. It's never moved in decent wind & rain, and I lower it if its pretty windy and of course take it down in a gale.

fifi

I bought an Oztrail Compact due to price, size and weight. It has only been set it up twice and I am happy with it. First time was for a weekend and left it set up over night - covered and lowered - pegged with stronger pegs than what came with it and the ropes supplied. I also bought heavy ropes but have not needed them yet. Last weekend was at KCC Park, it was hot so I bought a silver shade - the difference it made was wonderful. We had 2 chairs, 2 trolleys and a puppy pen set up as well as all our stuff - we had enough room but I am getting another compact so we can be more comfortable.

I have seen some of the big expensive gazebos break in the wind as well as some of the cheaper ones. I was told as long as I use heavier pegs and make sure it is tied down securely it will be ok. If it is too windy we will take my friends Altegra instead. I don't have my wagon anymore and had to make sure that what I buy fits in the boot of a Commodore that also has a gas tank in it.

They key to any gazebo that does not have the supports for the mid section of the sides (so anything not "deluxe") is to tie down the centre parts when its windy. I have not lost a gazebo to wind yet with this method. The sides of any normal gazebo will bend and flex in strong winds and its these areas that they tend to give way. So a rope around the middle, pegged to the ground, provides extra support.

There was a man going around promoting the Altegra at Spring Fair. He said they have a compact deluxe, which sounded great, just a bit out of my price range. My gazebos at present are from Super Cheap Auto. They are just the right size to fit across the back of my wagon without having to drop seats down.

I have an oztrail compact and an oztrail compact pavilion

Both have stayed standing in extreme wind and rain, you just have to make sure its secured correctly.

I also had an oztrail deluxe for about 5 years before it finally gave up (and we found it too big and heavy)

After numerous el cheapo gazebos that end up look like spineless white perils, we bought a metal 3X3 altegra with walls. Thought we were a bit crazy because of the price but it gets knocked about has stood up really well. I also use it as an annex with our caravan, its a hell of alot quicker putting the gazebo up rather than poles and pegs etc with an annex, i cant be bothered with that! Ive also mastered putting it up by myself ;-)

Im going to be buying a compact canopy gazebo soon, theyre $50 more than the altegras, but fold up to the size of a oz trail gazebo. Im driving a stationwagon more now and even though the altegra fits in with the seat down, id rather have more room.

I have an oztrail compact and a large 3x3 (same as the oztrail deluxe). Frankly I only ever use the compact. It fits in the car and is much lighter. One of the worst things about showing it the setting and packing up so anything that makes that easier for me is a bonus. In the last year or so I have been purposely changing the way I do things to 'lighten the load' and make things easier. It makes shows much more enjoyable.

While they are smaller, I can fit three extra extra large crates or two x-pens under a compact and while a tight squeeze I can also fit a large grooming table etc under it at the front with enough room to move around (in good weather the grooming table gets moved out a bit).

As poodlefan said, the best way to secure them is with guy ropes crossed directly along the sides rather than out from the corners. I have two guy ropes on each corner so I can secure all sides if need be. If leaving overnight I drop it all the way down and guy rope it down like this. It has never moved an inch even on windy nights.

Oztrail compact here too. Use the heavy duty steel pegs from the camping store and guy rope it securely. It's never moved in decent wind & rain, and I lower it if its pretty windy and of course take it down in a gale.

fifi

I have the same. I like the fact that I can put the compact up by myself and take it down by myself, if necessary. I also ditched the little sticks :thumbsup: that came with the gazebo and opted for the heavy duty steel pegs from the hardware store. As I'm short, I don't usually put the gazebo the whole way up anyways. You never know when a big gust of wind is just going to appear out of nowhere.

Oztrail Deluxe here.

I have seen many (Altegra / Oztrail and other brands) go flying, often it's because it has not been pegged and tied down properly.

I use heavy duty long pegs and hammer them in on an angle, Not straight up and down.

I also use the guy ropes.

Is it only you that goes to the shows? If so then get a cheaper gazebo like an oztrail. I have a Canopy gazebo and it is very good but it weighs ALOT.

Hi,

I love my Oztrail compact...it's light, easy to put up and pull down. There is enough room for 3 large crates. I also peg the frame and use the ropes. I can put it up by myself and what makes this job easier is to peg one of the frame legs in, then you can pull the frame out (it's like having a person hold the frame leg). If leaving the cabana overnight at the grounds I always drop the height down to the lowest and re- secure the ropes. The other thing that has made life so much easier is, I have just bought a dog trolley and don't know why I didn't do this years ago.

OK, so looks like the most important thing is heavy duty pegs and securing properly. What difference does securing with 'spring' type pegs make?

I have a Landcruiser so the size is not too much of an issue although I would prefer something light, I'm not getting any younger :birthday:

Cost-wise - I want something that is worth the money ie. you get what you pay for. I would rather pay a bit more for something that will hold up than go for the cheaper option and have to replace it. On that note, I don't use my cheap one very often as I set up with a friend and we use hers - mine is normally just for emergencies. I now have three malamutes and space is getting tight so thought the 'polite' option would be to start bringing my own :champagne:

My friend is looking at upgrading to an Altegra (she lost 2 Oztrails in 3 weeks in strong winds) so I thought I would ask the question before I splash out on them - you can't beat experience and dogzonline is the best place for that!! The ideas and suggestions have been great.

OK, so looks like the most important thing is heavy duty pegs and securing properly. What difference does securing with 'spring' type pegs make?

I have a Landcruiser so the size is not too much of an issue although I would prefer something light, I'm not getting any younger :(

Cost-wise - I want something that is worth the money ie. you get what you pay for. I would rather pay a bit more for something that will hold up than go for the cheaper option and have to replace it. On that note, I don't use my cheap one very often as I set up with a friend and we use hers - mine is normally just for emergencies. I now have three malamutes and space is getting tight so thought the 'polite' option would be to start bringing my own :(

My friend is looking at upgrading to an Altegra (she lost 2 Oztrails in 3 weeks in strong winds) so I thought I would ask the question before I splash out on them - you can't beat experience and dogzonline is the best place for that!! The ideas and suggestions have been great.

I thoroughly recommend springy type guy ropes.

Have not used them on a gazebo but after poodlefan's suggestion of putting guy ropes down the side am going to add them to the kit.

One New Years Day Night, the night was dark and stormy the billy goat (oops not telling poetry :laugh: :laugh: :D :D) I was at the beach with brand new tent, a friend and 3 young kids.

The guys had put the tent up 2 days previously and had gone home to work the next day. During the night a storm blew up and the tent came unstuck :rolleyes: We where rescued by other guys still at the camping ground. Friend and I slept in the kitchen tent. Another friend used his van in front of the kids tent to protect them from the on shore wind.

We where shifted to another site next day and on the advise of one of the night rescuers went into town and got the spring guy ropes and longer pegs.

3 days later another storm not as severe as the first occurred. The tent held firm, mind you did get a river running through it :) ;) :( Luckily sealed floor.

Few years later survived another storm. They allow movement but keep it down.