Best Promotion Of Purebred Dogs

Souff

oh i know what it's like SP, people have said to me about jaxx that she "has a face only a mother could love" and i think she is gorgeous.

i just laugh at them because they are a bit ignorant of the qualities of a boston and if they spend any time with her they soon change their minds because she is quite endearing.

eta i do think borders are beautiful especially when they are going about their job, my oh my they are gorgrous

Are you talking about Terriers or Collies? I'm not aware of any Terriers in Aus who are fortunate enough to hunt with a hound pack. :rolleyes:

oh i am an immigrant from scotland so i have seen borders working there :laugh:

eta in the late 60's early 70's

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of the day, what turns most people's heads is what they personally find unusual/interesting/attractive/cute.

True, a lot of people are attracted to difference mostly. But some can see and appreciate a well put together animal, rather than just the biggest/smallest/weirdest.

I've found that quite an unexpected number of people can have an unexpected eye for good 'design', and know quality when they see it. They are the only ones I'm interested in talking to about my dogs really, I wouldn't try to talk about fine wine to some one who prefers cask sherry.

Also, I can't help thinking that for some breeds, exclusivity and rareness is part of the charm. I can imagine that for some people, if everyone started trotting around with one of their sorts of dogs, no matter how well-bred, beautiful and stunningly conformed it was, they'd be a bit miffed. Kind of like how one used to be in an elite clique that liked so and so singer before she went mainstream. :rolleyes: I think a lot of people may enjoy the relative exclusivity of their 'club' and may not want the great unwashed masses joining.

I don't have that attitude, and I've never understood it. It certainly isn't a feature of most of those I know with pure breeds that's for sure. They only care that breed popularity doesn't undermine the welfare of the breed, which sadly it often does.

Edited by Diva

No harm in seeing something that looks above average and admiring it maybe even wishing you could own it to walk down the street with now and then to strutt your stuff. Hope I never get too old to notice what a piece of art that fellow number 12 for St Kilda is! :rolleyes:

Edited by Steve

oh i know what it's like SP, people have said to me about jaxx that she "has a face only a mother could love" and i think she is gorgeous.

i just laugh at them because they are a bit ignorant of the qualities of a boston and if they spend any time with her they soon change their minds because she is quite endearing.

eta i do think borders are beautiful especially when they are going about their job, my oh my they are gorgrous

Are you talking about Terriers or Collies? I'm not aware of any Terriers in Aus who are fortunate enough to hunt with a hound pack. :rolleyes:

oh i am an immigrant from scotland so i have seen borders working there :laugh:

Ooooh jealous much?????

I believe even there they aren't allowed to work much. Stupid animal rights freaks. I did enquire about running with a registered hound pack here but they wouldn't accept terriers grr.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound rude or make it sound like I thought you were stupid, just needed to clarify as I get 'collie' all the damn time LOL.

You introduced the ugly vs beautiful issue with your analogy :laugh: I'm glad that it's ok for you to derail the topic but not okay for others to to the same.

Huh? Report me if you think I hijacked the thread.

I don't think it was a hijack but more a natural progression of the topic however you implied that I was focusing on the wrong thing.

And why would I report someone for hijacking a thread?? That's a little childish isn't it?

Onto topic - we had our breed club fun day. Was good but due to the weather we only had a handful of Borders (as well as a smooth collie and 2 mongrels), and we didn't do our usual walk to the lake which always attracts attention (25 or so Borders marching along will do that!). However one thing that stood out to me was many of the pets were overweight. Which is unfortunate because not only is it unhealthy but it gives a negative image of the breed IMO.

Are you talking about Terriers or Collies? I'm not aware of any Terriers in Aus who are fortunate enough to hunt with a hound pack. :laugh:

oh i am an immigrant from scotland so i have seen borders working there :o

Ooooh jealous much?????

I believe even there they aren't allowed to work much. Stupid animal rights freaks. I did enquire about running with a registered hound pack here but they wouldn't accept terriers grr.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound rude or make it sound like I thought you were stupid, just needed to clarify as I get 'collie' all the damn time LOL.

not rude at all :o it is unusual to have seen them work. i don't think they are allowed to work any more. it was a long time ago i saw them.

i have looked at having a border at some stage they are great dogs.

I do think a well bred mannered and turned out dog turns heads. I get stopped all the time with my brace of Whippets. I really don't need to take them with me to town but I do from time to time just to check the mail or a quick stroll.

I had one older lady sidle up to me and say how nice it was to see "proper" Whippets again. I must have looked a little confused because she said real Whippets like when I was a kid not these over sized tall things they use for hunting around here. A local person or two do run packs of Whippets they use for hunting foxes, rabbits and Kangaroo's - yes they pull down and kill fully grown roo's! They are substantially taller , leggier shorter in back and are high on leg.

I feel the best way to promote out beautiful well bred pedigree dogs is to get them out in the public eye and be open and approachable. I may chat to someone for 5 minutes and that may stay with them for a long time and maybe they might get a lovely Whippet themselves down the track.

I have converted many through taking mine to training as many people think they are nervy and highly strung so to see them working and doing it well changes many false perceptions.

No harm in seeing something that looks above average and admiring it maybe even wishing you could own it to walk down the street with now and then to strutt your stuff. Hope I never get too old to notice what a piece of art that fellow number 12 for St Kilda is! :)

I'm with you there.

you implied that I was focusing on the wrong thing.

No I didnt. I'm totally confused.. :) Oh well...we must be at cross purposes. Sorry.

Beauty vs ugly is subjective IMO.

It's not about beauty -v- ugly. It's about a dog that's well put together. Can we focus on that? A well bred dog. The dog in my example is obviously not well bred because anyone can see he was put together wrong. Seeing a dog put together right is something to be proud of.

But why was it important that the dog was a mongrel because it was poorly put together? There are plenty of pure breds that have poor conformation, some from the best intended matings. And some pure breeds correct conformation can look incredibly poor to those who don't know what they are looking at (Bulldogs, Borzoi, GSD, Dachshund etc come to mind as being 'odd' compared to what many Joe Public know in terms of dogs).

Maybe I'm being over-sensitive about the topic :)

Are you talking about Terriers or Collies? I'm not aware of any Terriers in Aus who are fortunate enough to hunt with a hound pack. :)

oh i am an immigrant from scotland so i have seen borders working there :)

Ooooh jealous much?????

Getting a little OT :) but I was recently privileged to meet a gamekeeper on a Scottish estate, along with his working Jack Russell bitch and 2 working Cocker Spaniels, all beautifully bred. All were treasured senior dogs, with very little arthritis, and still had an active role in the shoots, flushing and retrieving. It was so good to chat with him and meet his valued dogs who are still carrying out their traditional roles ... and loving it. :)

Souff

Are you talking about Terriers or Collies? I'm not aware of any Terriers in Aus who are fortunate enough to hunt with a hound pack. :)

oh i am an immigrant from scotland so i have seen borders working there :)

Ooooh jealous much?????

Getting a little OT :) but I was recently privileged to meet a gamekeeper on a Scottish estate, along with his working Jack Russell bitch and 2 working Cocker Spaniels, all beautifully bred. All were treasured senior dogs, with very little arthritis, and still had an active role in the shoots, flushing and retrieving. It was so good to chat with him and meet his valued dogs who are still carrying out their traditional roles ... and loving it. :)

Souff

Lucky! Did you get pictures? :laugh: How similar conformation wise were the dogs to our 'show' dogs here?? Wish we could work more with our dogs (although I'm not sure if I'd actually ever hunt my terriers, they quite possibly mean a little too much to me to risk their lives, however I think it would be different if I purchased a pup purely with the intention of working it).

Are you talking about Terriers or Collies? I'm not aware of any Terriers in Aus who are fortunate enough to hunt with a hound pack. :laugh:

Ooooh jealous much?????

Souff

Lucky! Did you get pictures? :o How similar conformation wise were the dogs to our 'show' dogs here?? Wish we could work more with our dogs (although I'm not sure if I'd actually ever hunt my terriers, they quite possibly mean a little too much to me to risk their lives, however I think it would be different if I purchased a pup purely with the intention of working it).

Would you believe that OH had the camera and was taking photos of a doe in the woods nearby. He just raised his eyebrows when I started babbling on about the gamekeepers dogs when he returned :) but I always seem to find interesting dogs, so he is used to it! It would have been lovely to have got some photos but the dogs had work to do.

The spaniels were a little heavier set, but that could be to do with their ages, 10 & 12 as I recall. The JRT was much the same age, a bit cobby and in the head shape she reminded me of the Myrmidon JRTs of 10 years ago. She was an excellently marked tricolour, smooth coat, nice forward fold on the ears and a face that constantly said, "Lets go, boss!" The spaniels were a bit more laid back and still very capable of leaping up into their custom pen in the back of his Jeep. It was one great experience. :)

Are you talking about Terriers or Collies? I'm not aware of any Terriers in Aus who are fortunate enough to hunt with a hound pack. :o

Ooooh jealous much?????

Souff

Lucky! Did you get pictures? :o How similar conformation wise were the dogs to our 'show' dogs here?? Wish we could work more with our dogs (although I'm not sure if I'd actually ever hunt my terriers, they quite possibly mean a little too much to me to risk their lives, however I think it would be different if I purchased a pup purely with the intention of working it).

Would you believe that OH had the camera and was taking photos of a doe in the woods nearby. He just raised his eyebrows when I started babbling on about the gamekeepers dogs when he returned :laugh: but I always seem to find interesting dogs, so he is used to it! It would have been lovely to have got some photos but the dogs had work to do.

The spaniels were a little heavier set, but that could be to do with their ages, 10 & 12 as I recall. The JRT was much the same age, a bit cobby and in the head shape she reminded me of the Myrmidon JRTs of 10 years ago. She was an excellently marked tricolour, smooth coat, nice forward fold on the ears and a face that constantly said, "Lets go, boss!" The spaniels were a bit more laid back and still very capable of leaping up into their custom pen in the back of his Jeep. It was one great experience. :)

Sounds fantastic :) Don't see many tricolor Jacks around these days (not in Vic anyway).

Sounds fantastic :) Don't see many tricolor Jacks around these days (not in Vic anyway).

:) it is not just in Vic, it seems there are very few around, hence my delight, she was not only well bred but still an active working terrier. Souff was in heaven! And she had very little greying. Neither did the spaniels and I cant help but feel that the natural exercise that these dogs were getting probably had a lot to do with that. The rush of the chase has to be good for a dog's metabolism. Something that animal libbers cannot understand ... one of the things that the gamekeeper and I chatted about.

the head shape she reminded me of the Myrmidon JRTs of 10 years ago.

Isnt that funny. I went up to a mum and daughter walking two Jacks in the local area one day and stopped for a chat. I said - I know where you got your jackies from. Myrmidon JRTs. The look on her face was like this :) I could tell from the heads. Gorgeous little creatures.

But why was it important that the dog was a mongrel because it was poorly put together?

Because a comment was made that most members of the public wouldnt know the difference between good conformation and bad. I gave an example of non doggy people who noticed and pointed it out to me. We then had a discussion about buying a well bred dog from a reputable breeder. I'm not sure why you're being sensitive about it.

But why was it important that the dog was a mongrel because it was poorly put together?

Because a comment was made that most members of the public wouldnt know the difference between good conformation and bad. I gave an example of non doggy people who noticed and pointed it out to me. We then had a discussion about buying a well bred dog from a reputable breeder. I'm not sure why you're being sensitive about it.

I understood the original post differently to what you just said :)

Anyway, will be promo-ing pure breeds this week, bringing my baby girl into work at some point. Everyone has oo'd and ahh'd at the pictures and been told that it's a pure breed so will be interesting to see the result of seeing the real thing :)

She will also be traveling in on the train and home again with probably a market walk during lunchtime :)

For those who have 'plain' or common dogs, what about practicing your obedience skills or tricks on walks? An obedient or clever dog always turns heads, especially with breeds who have a 'reputation' of being nasty, it could be a great opportunity to engage in conversation with someone.

Any pure breed doing tricks is good PR anyway or just basic obedience- it also gives you the opportunity to let them know buying from known lines will mean stable temperament and buying from a reputable breeder means they will match the pup to you as well as having given the pups lots of mental stimulation and preparing it well for life as a pet :)

Isnt that funny. I went up to a mum and daughter walking two Jacks in the local area one day and stopped for a chat. I said - I know where you got your jackies from. Myrmidon JRTs. The look on her face was like this :) I could tell from the heads. Gorgeous little creatures.

It is a sort of secret international code :love: The X Factor maybe.

If it is missing, you will pass by and barely notice the dog. If it is there, it screams at you "NOTICE ME, Like NOW!"

It is a sort of secret international code :love: The X Factor maybe.

If it is missing, you will pass by and barely notice the dog. If it is there, it screams at you "NOTICE ME, Like NOW!"

YEp I agree, some dogs have the X factor and they are noticed!