Best Promotion Of Purebred Dogs

Souff

Yay!!! Today I saw 2 of the best looking purebred dogs that I have seen in ages!!!!

Where did I see these magnificent creatures?

With their owners, on lead, walking on the footpath beside a busy suburban road.

So what is so special about that you ask?

I have become just so accustomed to seeing crossbred mutts and poorly bred examples of purebred dogs hobbling along with wobbly hips, or hind legs that skip, or hocks that are near the ground, or bow legged dogs that seem to bounce along something like a frog ..... all the pets of loving owners who take them out for a walk.

But this time I was looking at the best of the best - both of these dogs just screamed "WELL BRED!".

And I was not the only driver in a car watching these beautiful dogs - we all got a show of excellent movement from excellent conformation, beautiful sleek coats ..... even blind Freddy could see that these were properly bred dogs.

2 different dogs in 2 different places. Each was a magnificent ambassador for its breed and for the dog world as a whole.

One was an AUSTRALIAN TERRIER, a breed that I rarely see in public places like roadsides.

The other was a COCKER SPANIEL, another breed that we see far too little of away from the dog show rings.

If you have a well bred beautiful dog that moves like a dream and looks like a warrior prince, PLEASE take it for a walk alongside a busy road now and then.

You will be giving purebred dogs the VERY BEST PROMOTION ...... VISIBILITY!

Remember .... dog breeders go to dog shows. Very few of the drivers who saw these dogs today would ever be at a dog show.

Souff

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea Souff.

Owners of a boy Jaffa from my last litter have had cars stop in the middle of the street to check him out LOL. And the shop is only a real short walk

I often walk in a central place with one of mine and a friend with a Finnish Lapphund and Papillon and another with an Irish Water Spaniel and they always get a few people stop and pat along the way. Chazer is such an outgoing dog that people just love it, but everyone is sucked in by how grand looking the Irish Water Spaniel is

Edited by helen

We walk with 2 (sometimes 3) Border Terriers, a collie Smooth, a Lowchen (wrapped and in full show clip) and 2 Afghans. The Afghans are clipped rescues but it is still a sight to see LOL and many people stop and stare or are amazed at how well they all get along etc.

Great idea Souff.

Owners of a boy Jaffa from my last litter have had cars stop in the middle of the street to check him out LOL. And the shop is only a real short walk

And that is how it should be! :)

Friend once had her two beautifully bred Dalmations on a red brace lead and was walking beside a street when a woman screeched to a halt, stuck her head out the window to call out something like, "Absolutely beautiful!"

Put well bred dogs on show near public roads, let the public see good health and good conformation, and the public appreciate it.

A well bred dog with excellent conformation and movement can be a magnificent sight that will stop traffic and they are a great advertisement for purebred dogs.

Souff

I used to walk my dogs alongside the Princes Highway, when we lived in town cos that was our street. Often, I'd get told.....oh, so and so saw you walking your dogs when they were driving by, they wanted to know what breed they are, they said they're beautiful........

So yes, people DO notice, they DO admire the dogs and they are curious about them.

Last weekend, I was at our local cricket ground as my son was playing there, it's just a tiny, tiny village and lo and behold, there was a guy there with a purebred Neopolitan Mastiff. Amazing looking dog, he looked like something out of a fantasy novel!

I didn't approach him, as I had Isaak with me and he got a bit vocal and I didn't want him to frighten the Neo by leaping on him to get him to play, but I would have loved to ask about the dog. Hopefully they are local and I'll run into them again.

It's kind of a shame that purebred dogs are a novelty these days.......they used to be commonplace, it was just a matter of which breed people owned. I think a Neo would always be a novelty though. Sure is a head turner!

Yup it's all about getting out there and showing them off! People have become used to oodles....we have some gorgeous purebred dogs coming into my work (vet) other clients always comment on them. Its a good opportunity to educate and at the moment am giving them the hand outs for Dogs Vic big day out....

The only unfortunate thing is the come to us after they got the puppy so its hard to educate them on making the right choice...

I always notice lovely looking purebreds. We were at the local dog park (which is filled with an assortment of crossbreds) and there was a lady with the most beautiful AS I've ever seen. I don't even really like long coated breeds but this dog was stunning.

It's really sad to note that so many people don't even know a purebred dog when they see one anymore. I have been asked heaps of times 'what is he?' about my Dobe pup and it gobsmacks me that the average person has no idea. I guess the ears and tail throw people off. I do however get alot of comments about how fit and healthy he looks and how shiny his coat is :)

There is a Rottweiller pup that is in my obedience class and so many people ohhh and ahhh over it and all I think when I see it is the pain and suffering it is going to go through due to its bad legs/hips. It's hips roll from side to side as it walks around and it already (it is less than 12 months old) lowers itself slowly and cautiously into a sit and then the same slow careful process to get back up. It's very sad to watch.

Honey is a rescue Golden Retriever, possibly not well bred (we dont know an extensive history) but definitely not crossbred. She is in great shape and looks beautiful. :eek:

She is my constant companion in my local wanderings around our high foot traffic area and we get stopped for pats and chats frequently. I always take the opportunity to spruik breed rescue and spread the (negative) word re DDs. :)

I agree visability is the best approach.

It's really sad to note that so many people don't even know a purebred dog when they see one anymore. I have been asked heaps of times 'what is he?' about my Dobe pup and it gobsmacks me that the average person has no idea. I guess the ears and tail throw people off. I do however get alot of comments about how fit and healthy he looks and how shiny his coat is :(

Isnt that odd?!! :D

I occasionally get that too and am always shocked- I cant believe not everyone knows what a Golden Retriever is!! ;)

I think you may have hit the nail on the head though- the average person has way more exposure to DDs and crossbreeds than purebreds these days. :D

You're absolutely right, Souff! I think the best thing purebreed dog owners could do for their breed, and for the dog world in general, is get out and about for a walk with their dogs along a busy road in peak time. Dog shows, obedience classes and trials and dog sports are all very well, but it's largely like preaching to the choir. Joe Public needs to see well bred dogs out and about more. I love it when I see a nice looking dog walking down the street. I'm no expert, being a mutt owner, but I can tell a well put together animal when I see it and it's a joy to watch.

This is why I suggested in one of Steve's threads that local councils should make a public space available on, say, a monthly basis for a 'dog day' where obedience clubs, dogsport groups or breed clubs could bring their dogs along and do activities where the general public could see them easily. I imagine there'd be also of issues with liability insurance, etc. but I still think it would be a great way for people to become more familiar with different breeds and dogs doing what dogs do.

You're absolutely right, Souff! I think the best thing purebreed dog owners could do for their breed, and for the dog world in general, is get out and about for a walk with their dogs along a busy road in peak time. Dog shows, obedience classes and trials and dog sports are all very well, but it's largely like preaching to the choir. Joe Public needs to see well bred dogs out and about more. I love it when I see a nice looking dog walking down the street. I'm no expert, being a mutt owner, but I can tell a well put together animal when I see it and it's a joy to watch.

This is why I suggested in one of Steve's threads that local councils should make a public space available on, say, a monthly basis for a 'dog day' where obedience clubs, dogsport groups or breed clubs could bring their dogs along and do activities where the general public could see them easily. I imagine there'd be also of issues with liability insurance, etc. but I still think it would be a great way for people to become more familiar with different breeds and dogs doing what dogs do.

Unfortunately, most people stop and talk to the Borders because they are cute and want to know what crossbreed they are. Withthe Smoothie it's also 'what cross is that?' but it is an opportunity to educate people on the fact that pure breeds CAN look like mongrels if that's what you prefer. So you get the best of both worlds with my breed :( looks like the mutt down the street but is healthy and you know the parentage etc.

Used to have people mesmerized by my Newf :)

It's kind of a shame that purebred dogs are a novelty these days.......they used to be commonplace, it was just a matter of which breed people owned. I think a Neo would always be a novelty though. Sure is a head turner!

It is not only a shame, it is another nail in the coffin.

But, we can ALL DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, and easily. Get those well bred, healthy looking dogs out there trotting smartly alongside you on a road, safely on lead.

They will be seen by a lot more people than they will ever be in dog parks, or in dog shows.

They will be seen by people who say: "Gee, take a look at that dog, will you! I would LOVE to own a dog like that!"

We have seen what happens when beautifully bred, healthy dogs appear in movies ...... the whole world wants to own one just like the dog in the movie.

The same thought can be achieved by putting your dogs on view to drivers, particularly those stuck in traffic ...... after all, you have a CAPTIVE AUDIENCE :mad

It wasn't until I saw these 2 stunning dogs out and about yesterday that I realised how much we need to do this.

Full credit to their owners and their breeders, they both moved like a dream. Soooo important.

Souff

We can never walk Tonka, our Dogue de Bordeaux puppy, anywhere in a hurry. Everyone wants a pat and a chat. We always get asked "what is he?" ... we haven't come across any Bordeauxs in our area yet so I think he's a real sight with his broad muscly chest, thick legs and large paws at a tender age of 4 months :-) He moves like Simba and has the best temperament, even with aggressive little dogs and naughty little people :mad

Akira's not pedigree (apparently because of that she's not purebred either :mad) but we get stopped all the time by people asking what breed she is and wanting a pat. My morning walk at 5:30 involves a pat from the maintenance crew at the shopping centre, a pat from a cleaner and a bus driver who is at the interchange and gets out to say hi to her everyday. And that's in the morning! Her afternoon walk gets even more attention.

Akira's not pedigree (apparently because of that she's not purebred either :mad) but we get stopped all the time by people asking what breed she is and wanting a pat. My morning walk at 5:30 involves a pat from the maintenance crew at the shopping centre, a pat from a cleaner and a bus driver who is at the interchange and gets out to say hi to her everyday. And that's in the morning! Her afternoon walk gets even more attention.

My JRT doesn't have papers, but I still say she is a purebred cause she is. Both parents are JRT so I would expect that she is too :mad

Nearly everyone knows what she is and if they are not sure it is usually because she is quite small (short legs but solid). She also has alot more tan on her than the JRT's I see in the show ring but she is a JRT in personality that's for sure!