Best Promotion Of Purebred Dogs

Souff

its elitist because having a pure breed doesn't make you any better than someone who has a cross breed, and if you're saying, "well my pure breeds were walking down the street and everyone commented on how nice they looked" why not just say, "i was walking my dogs down the street and people commented on how nice they looked"? why the need to add in that they're pure breeds? the only reason you put it there is so you can show off and feel wiser than someone who has got their dog elsewhere. i could have got my dogs papers when i got him, but i didnt because i didnt care, i didnt need to prove that he hasn't been "tainted" by another breed. the rest of this forum is really interesting, but threads like this remind me of high school.

Oh Lordy :(

Nah, can't work up the energy to reply. Going to go walk my purebred dogs instead :laugh: Must remember to make sure I don't tell anyone they are purebred though :)

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is labeled as a purebreed forum but there is a whole section dedicated to rehoming orphaned dogs, most of which would not be pure bred.

So what? That's the rescue subforum. Get over yourself and read the forum rules. Stop ruining a good thread on the (oh my lord do I have to point this out) promotion of purebreeds!

its elitist because having a pure breed doesn't make you any better than someone who has a cross breed, and if you're saying, "well my pure breeds were walking down the street and everyone commented on how nice they looked" why not just say, "i was walking my dogs down the street and people commented on how nice they looked"? why the need to add in that they're pure breeds? the only reason you put it there is so you can show off and feel wiser than someone who has got their dog elsewhere. i could have got my dogs papers when i got him, but i didnt because i didnt care, i didnt need to prove that he hasn't been "tainted" by another breed. the rest of this forum is really interesting, but threads like this remind me of high school.

Because this forum exists to promote purebred dogs. How you could come here, where the top of the forum clearly and proudly states this is Australia's Pure Bred Dog Community and then act surprised and offended when people want to promote what great pets purebreds make is beyond me.

It's not about "showing off" or "feeling wiser". It's a genuine passion and interest in promoting purebred dogs as excellent pets. I am PROUD to have two well bred purebred dogs who are great examples of their breed, and great examples of why purebred dogs make fantastic pets. There are a lot of valid and genuine reasons why I tell people to get a purebred from a reputable breeder (or adopt a rescue dog) rather than shop at a pet store, or go to a BYBer.

That's not to say that crossbreed dogs don't make good pets, or that no one should own them, or that they are lesser dogs than a purebred dog. But, we need to promote and preserve our breeds so that people can continue to enjoy them many years to come. I don't know about you, but the thought that purebred dogs could become extinct

is pretty devastating to me.

The thread is about the promotion of purebreed dogs. Not much point having a thread about the promotion of purebreed dogs if you don't mention purebreed dogs in it :)

it is labeled as a purebreed forum but there is a whole section dedicated to rehoming orphaned dogs, most of which would not be pure bred.

and about 95% of the topics aren't specific at pure breeds so if it's not being moderated i wouldn't think the general population would have a problem with it?

Perhaps, but this thread is titled "Best Promotion of Purebred Dogs"

So, it's about purebreed dogs. Of course they are going to be talked about. :( It's not about cute dogs, or dogs in general. I'm not sure why you can come into a thread titled as such and complain about it's contents when it's clearly stated in the topic title.

I think you'll find that dog people will boast about their dogs whether they're purebreds or not. Do you not boast about yours?

there's a difference between saying, "dont you think my dog is cute." and "my dog is cuter than yours because i bought him from a top breeder and you bought a dirty mix breed from the newspaper."

I don't think I've read that in this thread.

Am I a purebred dog snob? You betcha, I am. I have purebred dogs because I like a particular type of dog. I like wheaten and kerry blue terriers. Do I think they're the best dogs on the planet? You betcha, I do. Am I going to say so? You betcha, I am. I didn't buy them but their breeders are indeed tops. Will I say so at every opportunity? You betcha, I will.

Why should you condemn me for having purebreds and not a mixed breed? Yes, it works both ways and you're doing it right now.

The thread is about the promotion of purebreed dogs. Not much point having a thread about the promotion of purebreed dogs if you don't mention purebreed dogs in it :)

and about 95% of the topics aren't specific at pure breeds so if it's not being moderated i wouldn't think the general population would have a problem with it?

So, it's about purebreed dogs. Of course they are going to be talked about. :( It's not about cute dogs, or dogs in general. I'm not sure why you can come into a thread titled as such and complain about it's contents when it's clearly stated in the topic title.

Because some people love any excuse to whinge or feel "offended" about something.

Awesome post huski :)

The general public are being told that purebred dogs are unhealthy, inbred etc etc and that DD's are the way to go. As purebred owners we should be proud to show off our dogs and talk about what wonderful pets they make.

Because some people love any excuse to whinge or feel "offended" about something.

I guess so, just doesn't make sense to me. It would be like going into the Dobermann thread and complaining that they're talking about Dobes and not Poodles.

The general public are being told that purebred dogs are unhealthy, inbred etc etc and that DD's are the way to go. As purebred owners we should be proud to show off our dogs and talk about what wonderful pets they make.

Exactly! Purebreds get bad and unfair press from the general public. As someone who owns and is passionate about purebred dogs, I like to dispel those myths, rather then see people supporting BYBers, pet stores and puppy farms because of some misguided notions DD or crossbreeds in general are always healthier or always the better option.

There's a reason why most working dogs are purebred, and it's the same reason why I always buy purebreds from reputable breeders.

Edited by huski

Exactly! Purebreds get bad and unfair press from the general public. As someone who owns and is passionate about purebred dogs, I like to dispel those myths, rather then see people supporting BYBers, pet stores and puppy farms because of some misguided notions DD or crossbreeds in general are always healthier or always the better option.

There's a reason why most working dogs are purebred, and it's the same reason why I always buy purebreds from reputable breeders.

I'm betting that reason is not because you're just a snob who wants to boast that you got your dog from a top breeder ...

I guess so, just doesn't make sense to me. It would be like going into the Dobermann thread and complaining that they're talking about Dobes and not Poodles.

Now I'm tempted to do that ... :(

:) I think I'll go into an 'elitist' chili lovers forum and start crapping on about what racists they are because they dont talk about carrots, they only talk about chilis

I think you'll find that dog people will boast about their dogs whether they're purebreds or not. Do you not boast about yours?

there's a difference between saying, "dont you think my dog is cute." and "my dog is cuter than yours because i bought him from a top breeder and you bought a dirty mix breed from the newspaper."

Am I a purebred dog snob? You betcha, I am. I have purebred dogs because I like a particular type of dog. I like wheaten and kerry blue terriers. Do I think they're the best dogs on the planet? You betcha, I do. Am I going to say so? You betcha, I am. I didn't buy them but their breeders are indeed tops. Will I say so at every opportunity? You betcha, I will.

Why should you condemn me for having purebreds and not a mixed breed? Yes, it works both ways and you're doing it right now.

sorry sunshine, i'm not, because then i would be condemning myself.

i understand this was a forum set up to discuss pure breeds, i didnt when i signed up, and this was the first thread that made me feel uncomfortable about the situation. i thought this was a big dog loving community but apparently some have a higher status than others.

don't worry guys, i'll stay out of your precious pure breed threads, i'll stick to conversing with those old enough to understand that we are all created equally, i think they teach that in kindergarden these days?

sorry sunshine, i'm not, because then i would be condemning myself.

i understand this was a forum set up to discuss pure breeds, i didnt when i signed up, and this was the first thread that made me feel uncomfortable about the situation. i thought this was a big dog loving community but apparently some have a higher status than others.

don't worry guys, i'll stay out of your precious pure breed threads, i'll stick to conversing with those old enough to understand that we are all created equally, i think they teach that in kindergarden these days?

I wouldn't know, not being four years old.

I don't think the public are going to admire my registered purebred dogs if I walk them down the street at the moment. A dally with bright pink feet from centrigen spray to stop her chewing them after walking though wandering jew, a border collie who despite the fact I brushed a large bag of hair out of him still looks like a moth eaten carpet and another BC people mistake for a shepherd cross :)

But I'm proud of them

technically every breed of domesticated dog was a crossbreed at some point in their history, how many generations does it take for a crossbreed to become a pure bred? just interested to know..

That's the same tired and boring argument that some new members bring to the forum in their efforts to bring down purebred dogs and their breeders.

You missed this question in my post so shall put it in again for you

How is being proud of one's purebred dog "elitist"?

I am proud of my purebreds dogs.

Thanks to Souff for what should have been a light hearted thread to promote the beauty and benefits of purebred dogs :laugh:

You have an AmStaff and you didn't get papers for him?? I hope you've either got a huge bank account or are fine with your dog spending his final moments in a pound :laugh::

Why you would get such a breed without papers i don't know. Highly irresponsible. In sorry if that comes across as 'elitist' but damn.

Yep, we have pure breds (dunno if they are from the top breeder in the country.... And one I bred myself but am very happy with them and love sharing the benefits of buying a dog of a known quantity.

Perhaps you should also know that I had smooches from a Cocker Spaniel x Poodle today, he was lovely but his owner looking for a pure breed as a companion for him. You would be surprised at the number of exhibitors and breeders who also own a rescue or two of unknown parentage. An yes, we show our dogs too :( but you know, I have many people commenting to me on the street how cool they think my dogs are and they are impressed by the fact that they are a pure breed because guess what that means??? They can go buy one for themselves :)

My dogs aren't better than yours but I (and the majority of THIS FORUM) prefer our pure breeds and that is why we are here.

i think they teach that in kindergarden these days?

They also teach reading. What does it say at the top of the page? Australia's Pure Breed Dog Community. If you had ever bothered to read the forum rules, you would know what that means.

Moving right along away from the hijack - what a lovely OP, souffle. Isnt it great when you see a dog out in public and just think to yourself - my god what a shining example.

I agree :)

I absolutely love it when I come across an obviously well bred purebred dog, as I'm finding it rarer and rarer to do so these days. :laugh: If they're in talking distance I always go up and ask if I can pat them, and they're normally quite surprised to find I know what breed it is.

Nothing more stunning than a well bred purebred, in all its glory. :laugh:

ETA: What surprises me most Raz is that this thread, albeit about purebreds, is all about making our breeds more accessible to the public and encouraging them to be interested. Is that not the opposite of being 'elitist'? :(

Edited by alexhegyesi