Best Promotion Of Purebred Dogs

Souff

I used to read the James Herriot books when I was a teenager, and he had a Border Terrier. That's where I first heard of them. He always described them as fantastic little dogs.

They are :thumbsup: not that I'm biased :mad

Well suited to Australian families, too. There aren't many homes they wouldn't be happy in.

I love Border Terriers, have for as long as I can remember. Have tried talking OH into getting one in the future but he is not so keen, he wants a bulldog and seeing as I got to have another Dobe I suppose it's only fair to let him. I'll wear him down eventually, might take a while though. :o

My baby girl is OBSESSED with Dobes lol. She thinks they are the most awesomest friends to play with.

My first 'own' dog was a Dobe x and my first Border grew up with her ;) whatever breed you get, a Border will love lol.

Saw a Dobe walking down the street last week :thumbsup:

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, most people stop and talk to the Borders because they are cute and want to know what crossbreed they are. Withthe Smoothie it's also 'what cross is that?' but it is an opportunity to educate people on the fact that pure breeds CAN look like mongrels if that's what you prefer. So you get the best of both worlds with my breed ;) looks like the mutt down the street but is healthy and you know the parentage etc.

Used to have people mesmerized by my Newf ;)

We get the same with Grace and Ruby, although older English or Irish people tend to know exactly what they are and love to say hello. :thumbsup:

It's often the Aussies that catch people's eye though, especially the merles.

Yeah we get a lot of older English / Scottish folk who know the breed, or people who have recently travelledto that area. Th closest anyone has come to recognizing Nessa is "is that some kind of Collie?" I don't think any non-dog person has picked the breed. Had one guy though who absolutely fell in love with her and thought she was the most amazing thing he had ever seen- promised to go home and research the breed etc.

Quite a few kids recognize the Borders as 'the dog from Good Boy' lol but don't know the breed. Have also found that walking the Borders in pairs or all 3 together makes people stop and ask about them. I guess if there is more than one they stand out more.

Some kids recognise Ruby as the dog from Firehouse Dog but again don't know the breed. The movie didn't do very well so not many people have seen it.

I used to read the James Herriot books when I was a teenager, and he had a Border Terrier. That's where I first heard of them. He always described them as fantastic little dogs.

That's how Mum and Dad first became interested in them. :laugh: How he describes them is pretty spot on.

They are ;) not that I'm biased :mad

Well suited to Australian families, too. There aren't many homes they wouldn't be happy in.

I love Border Terriers, have for as long as I can remember. Have tried talking OH into getting one in the future but he is not so keen, he wants a bulldog and seeing as I got to have another Dobe I suppose it's only fair to let him. I'll wear him down eventually, might take a while though. :o

My baby girl is OBSESSED with Dobes lol. She thinks they are the most awesomest friends to play with.

My first 'own' dog was a Dobe x and my first Border grew up with her :) whatever breed you get, a Border will love lol.

Saw a Dobe walking down the street last week :thumbsup:

Gracie is pretty good with bringing other dogs into our home but can be a little over excited/reactive with other small terriers out and about! She's a very easy going dog within the 'pack' though and never causes any issues. She's happy to be on the bottom.

Only issue we have had with Gracie is her digging out. The yard is fortified and she now lives inside when we aren't home but a couple of days ago the little rat managed to push the poles holding the wire down away from the fence, rip the wire and dig under the fence to try and get the neighbours new chooks. She managed to do so in less than 90mins as that's all she had been outside for and the ground was rock hard. This is with a few issues with her rear legs/knees. She's determined.

So anyone want a 5 year old Border Terrier? :)

Living in the country we dont really get a chance to go out walking where people can see us but on the occasions we do the reactions have been fantastic.

People dont see many Samoyeds and the ones I have seen around are often too small or finely bones with awful dirty coats :mad

I walked along the newcastle peir once and it took 3 hours :thumbsup:

Everyone had to say hello to the 'big white teddy bears'

i saw a stunning Hungarian Vizsla last week along that road near the melbourne zoo

first time i have ever seen a Vizsla outside of a country town, it was a great looking dog :thumbsup:

unfortunately the area that i live in just outside of the city i dont get to see many if any great looking pure breds

Edited by addy001

Living in the country we dont really get a chance to go out walking where people can see us but on the occasions we do the reactions have been fantastic.

People dont see many Samoyeds and the ones I have seen around are often too small or finely bones with awful dirty coats :o

I walked along the newcastle peir once and it took 3 hours :thumbsup:

Everyone had to say hello to the 'big white teddy bears'

You know what a Samoyed should look like. Bring your Samoyeds to Newcastle a bit more often! :mad

It's great to go out and show your beautiful purebreds around!

I was sooo happy the other day when someone asked if Luna was a Maltese and then started gushing about the breed - astounds me because most people ask what cross she is and upon hearing that she is a Maltese go on to say that they didn't know they were: "so white", "so small", "so cute", "so nice" etc.

We also get alot of looks because she has a top knot :D

I can't wait till I get my net Maltese whom I intend to keep in full coat - now that will be a show stopper and I doubt we will be able to walk anywhere!

I think that a lot of people still like and appreciate purebred dogs, they just don't have the exposure to where to get one, and when they see one in a pet shop window they think that is what they are getting. I realized the other day that the magazine 'doggy deals' is no longer around which is a real shame it would have been a fantastic avenue for pure breeders to advertise, I recall seeing some lovely ads in it, I know there were plenty of oodles and randoms in there too but for me the really nice studs stood out and would have been a great way to direct peoples purchasing decisions.

My boxer puppy buyers all tell me that when they walk the dogs, they are always being stopped by people to tell them how wonderful the dogs are. Happens with the cavs too - but no so often. Everyone knows what boxers are, of course.

Friend takes his Vizla out for morning coffee each Saturday, and he always attracts an admiring crowd - he gives people his paw, and they find him enchanting.

I think that a lot of people still like and appreciate purebred dogs, they just don't have the exposure to where to get one,

Agree. And we keep having gabfests about what should be done to promote & inform the public about purebred dogs.

My tibbie girls attract a lot of attention. Surprisingly, for small dogs, even from men. A tib pet owner told me how a business man, smart in his suit, came hurrying across a busy street dodging cars, to get to her while she was walking her tib, Charlie. He wanted to know what that amazing looking little dog was.

Public interest happens so much with my tibs that I carry some print info about the breed & how to find a good registered breeder. People are generally gobsmacked to hear that my girls are champions retired to us by their breeders. Lovely thing is that most people interpret this as an act of great trust...which it is.

Annie gets special attention because she came from Sweden. That always gives me the opening of telling people how the Australian tibbie breeders go all out to widen the gene pool. And how there's a truly amazing global network of breeders who welcome communication with pet owners. Have any issue re a tib?....& the best of Australian & international breeders will offer info/advice.

it seems to me like the opinion is that a good looking healthy dog is better than one that has issues? isn't this a little bit politically incorrect? imagine if you said, "that person is better than another because it comes from a healthy rich ancestry." to me that all sounds a bit pompous and stuck up. i agree that backyard breeding and puppy farms create a huge problem, but sticking your nose in the air at others who got their pet elsewhere isnt the right way to go about it.

as for the issue of purebred v crossbreed, how do you think your breed came into existence? crossbreeding and selective breeding! every single breed of domestic dog was crossbred at some point to create the breed. whilst i don't agree with the designer dog craze, it's because of the puppy farms that are run to keep up with demand, not because a crossbreed is any less of a dog than one that is purebred. all breeds have different conditions that they're predisposed to, its not just "designer dogs", i would assume that pet shop pets tend to have a higher risk due to the poor conditions they're bred in. an unhealthy bitch isnt going to produce a healthy litter. people shouldn't be looked down upon for their purchase, instead, we should be banding together to educate and promote the health risks involved in buying from a pet shop because a lot of people don't know, but that doesn't make you better than them.

with all of this said, you could spend $2000 after being on a 3 year waiting list at a reputable breeder and the dog you choose could still end up with massive health problems. no matter how good the genes, you can't predict if a dog is going to have health issues, hereditary issues can give them a higher risk, but suggesting that you can tell a good pedigree by simply looking at a random dog on the street is absurd.

My boxer puppy buyers all tell me that when they walk the dogs, they are always being stopped by people to tell them how wonderful the dogs are. Happens with the cavs too - but no so often. Everyone knows what boxers are, of course.

Friend takes his Vizla out for morning coffee each Saturday, and he always attracts an admiring crowd - he gives people his paw, and they find him enchanting.

Vizslas have that effect on people.. :D :D xxx

Kyliestar, I get what you're saying.

But note I did not claim that p/b dogs from my breed of choice had some scientifically impossible 100% contract of never having any health problem.

We can't say that about even the healthiest human.

I pointed out how the breeders of my breed of choice work at reducing the risks, by deliberately widening the gene pools in making decisions about breeding. In fact, they have an international working party on health, with representatives from various countries (yes, Australia is included).

I recently got wonderful assistance re one of my tibbies who's turned out to be pretty intolerant of processed foods. Now on a simple to apply natural diet, she's fine.

It's the pure-bred registering system which allows a network like this to exist.

As to this adding up to a pompous & stuck up attitude towards dogs. The dogs in our family are valued equally wherever they came from.

Gran, our little black mixed breed dog, that was found thrown from a car as a puppy, lived until she was nearly 23 yrs of age. Much loved.

Irony is that the breeder who first retired a champion tib to us, as a pet...used how Gran was treated as the best reference. She said that people who'd love and care for a little mixed breed stray, would equally love her little ex-champion. Our cat is an ex-pound cat & is loved just as much as our ex-champion tibbies.

As to money, that breeder told us that the price for her champion tibbie was whatever we could afford....as she believed that a good pet home was priceless. The other breeders who've retired champion tibbies to us, asked for no money....the good pet home was all they wanted for their dogs.

Needless to say, these breeders got sent very healthy amounts of money... which they deserved for all the work & thought that had gone into breeding & raising those dogs.

Edited by mita

it is great that there are breeders out there who actually care about the animals and do a lot of work to ensure their pups are of good health backgrounds. i still don't understand how you could pick that two dogs walking on the street were from a breeder such as this, unless i've misunderstood and you knew the dogs and their history prior to the walk. it's okay to be proud of your dogs heritage but it just seems to me like there's a lot of negativity on this board toward crossbreeds and backyard bred pure breds. a dog is a companion, a best friend, a family member, not an object to be used to compete with others over who's is of higher status.

it is great that there are breeders out there who actually care about the animals and do a lot of work to ensure their pups are of good health backgrounds. i still don't understand how you could pick that two dogs walking on the street were from a breeder such as this, unless i've misunderstood and you knew the dogs and their history prior to the walk. it's okay to be proud of your dogs heritage but it just seems to me like there's a lot of negativity on this board toward crossbreeds and backyard bred pure breds. a dog is a companion, a best friend, a family member, not an object to be used to compete with others over who's is of higher status.

Why don't you take a good look at the title of this thread and then what this forum is all about - PUREBRED DOGS - also read the forum rules as well here Forum Rules.

You may then understand why this forum will ALWAYS promote PUREBREEDS as recognised by the ANKC. Many dolers have crossbreeds which are well loved and cared for with many being terrific dogs, and they are allowed to join this forum and participate in the discussions, but the fact remains this is a PUREBREED forum for promotion of PUREBREEDS with rules governing what is allowed to be promoted and discussed, pure and simple. :D

Why don't you take a good look at the title of this thread and then what this forum is all about - PUREBRED DOGS - also read the forum rules as well here Forum Rules.

You may then understand why this forum will ALWAYS promote PUREBREEDS as recognised by the ANKC. Many dolers have crossbreeds which are well loved and cared for with many being terrific dogs, and they are allowed to join this forum and participate in the discussions, but the fact remains this is a PUREBREED forum for promotion of PUREBREEDS with rules governing what is allowed to be promoted and discussed, pure and simple. :D

x2 kyliestar, please make sure you are on the right forum for your interests :D

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

You may then understand why this forum will ALWAYS promote PUREBREEDS as recognised by the ANKC. Many dolers have crossbreeds which are well loved and cared for with many being terrific dogs, and they are allowed to join this forum and participate in the discussions, but the fact remains this is a PUREBREED forum for promotion of PUREBREEDS with rules governing what is allowed to be promoted and discussed, pure and simple. :)

Wow Labsrule - I feel you are being a little full on with this reply. I don't see that she /he is promoting anything other than purebeerd dogs.I agree with both kyliestar's posts.

The elitist attitude of some breeders can put a pet buyer off, wouldn't positive education be a better option?

Surely the attitude of pedigree breeders effects the general person who just wants to have a pet dog.

You may then understand why this forum will ALWAYS promote PUREBREEDS as recognised by the ANKC. Many dolers have crossbreeds which are well loved and cared for with many being terrific dogs, and they are allowed to join this forum and participate in the discussions, but the fact remains this is a PUREBREED forum for promotion of PUREBREEDS with rules governing what is allowed to be promoted and discussed, pure and simple. :)

x2 kyliestar, please make sure you are on the right forum for your interests :(

if this were a forum for humans it would be seen as racist :laugh:

my apologies, i didn't think dog lovers would feel the need to segregate themselves from the "unpure" crossbreed owners. i do own a pure breed, thanks for bringing to my attention the difference between my dog and those dirty mudbloods, i wont be making THAT mistake in the future.

x2 kyliestar, please make sure you are on the right forum for your interests :(

if this were a forum for humans it would be seen as racist :laugh:

my apologies, i didn't think dog lovers would feel the need to segregate themselves from the "unpure" crossbreed owners. i do own a pure breed, thanks for bringing to my attention the difference between my dog and those dirty mudbloods, i wont be making THAT mistake in the future.

oh for goodness sake no need to get hysterical, stay on topic and read the forum rules and you should manage to stay on side with everyone

The elitist attitude of some breeders can put a pet buyer off, wouldn't positive education be a better option?

Surely the attitude of pedigree breeders effects the general person who just wants to have a pet dog.

How is being proud of one's purebred dog "elitist"? If people find the attitude of those who are proud of their chosen breed and the dogs they breed "elitist" and off putting, I can only suggest they choose another avenue to find their pet.

Especially if they are not fussed (or don't understand) re the benefits of the dog being purebred.

Edited by xavier