Best Promotion Of Purebred Dogs

Souff

It's kind of a shame that purebred dogs are a novelty these days.......they used to be commonplace, it was just a matter of which breed people owned. I think a Neo would always be a novelty though. Sure is a head turner!

It is not only a shame, it is another nail in the coffin.

But, we can ALL DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, and easily. Get those well bred, healthy looking dogs out there trotting smartly alongside you on a road, safely on lead.

They will be seen by a lot more people than they will ever be in dog parks, or in dog shows.

They will be seen by people who say: "Gee, take a look at that dog, will you! I would LOVE to own a dog like that!"

We have seen what happens when beautifully bred, healthy dogs appear in movies ...... the whole world wants to own one just like the dog in the movie.

The same thought can be achieved by putting your dogs on view to drivers, particularly those stuck in traffic ...... after all, you have a CAPTIVE AUDIENCE :mad

It wasn't until I saw these 2 stunning dogs out and about yesterday that I realised how much we need to do this.

Full credit to their owners and their breeders, they both moved like a dream. Soooo important.

Souff

thats what happens when purebreds are sold as pets, they are always on show whever their proud owners take them be it shopping , picnick, walkies or in the case of two of mine to car shows. the phone calls start even while they are there.

but what ehtical breeder wants the breed surplus if they can prevent it. and soo there are fewer and fewer to be seen.

its a catch 22

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kind of a shame that purebred dogs are a novelty these days.......they used to be commonplace, it was just a matter of which breed people owned. I think a Neo would always be a novelty though. Sure is a head turner!

It is not only a shame, it is another nail in the coffin.

But, we can ALL DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, and easily. Get those well bred, healthy looking dogs out there trotting smartly alongside you on a road, safely on lead.

They will be seen by a lot more people than they will ever be in dog parks, or in dog shows.

They will be seen by people who say: "Gee, take a look at that dog, will you! I would LOVE to own a dog like that!"

We have seen what happens when beautifully bred, healthy dogs appear in movies ...... the whole world wants to own one just like the dog in the movie.

The same thought can be achieved by putting your dogs on view to drivers, particularly those stuck in traffic ...... after all, you have a CAPTIVE AUDIENCE :mad

It wasn't until I saw these 2 stunning dogs out and about yesterday that I realised how much we need to do this.

Full credit to their owners and their breeders, they both moved like a dream. Soooo important.

Souff

So true, this would be one way to promote pure breed dogs. :mad

I get emails every so often from my puppy buyers telling me about an experience they have had with their pup and strangers, I also get emails and calls from people who have met one of my babies and would like one of their own :mad

When I get the time I bring my guys into the city for morning tea etc. They love the train ride!

Also occasionally see a beautiful 14 year old Border girl walking with her people in Melbourne CBD.

I will be bringing my baby girl into work at some point this year hopefully will get a few people interested :mad they have already swooned over photos!

I'm am so often stopped and asked about my two - no one has heard of a wheaten terrier, but I'm cool with that, because 5 years ago I'd never heard of them either!

It's so funny, but the first thing most people say upon patting a wheaten is "isn't s/he soft'? You would've thought the name gave it away, but even I said it the first time I touched Anouk lol

Emmy is a head turner.

A neighbour friend has a JS but she bought it from the pet store... you can definitely tell the difference in the two JS. Emmy is bigger, more solid and just looks more vibrant and is simply stunning (yes, I am bias). Whereas the other JS just looks.. well, dull. What I notice is that even when Emmy is dirty she is still very white, whereas then the other JS is dirty, she goes to a creamy colour.

We were at an ATM very early one morning on our way to school/work and a car pulled up next to us with a Japanese Spitz in the back seat. My daughter jumped out of our car to have a closer look and the owner rolled the window down so she could pat him, He was totally gorgeous and I asked her if she knew what breed it was. She said no, maybe a little Samoyed and I told her nope, he's a Japanese Spitz.

The owner went "Wow, you're the first person who's ever known what he is, how did you know?" I told him I show one of my dogs and I sometimes saw the JS's at dog shows and I thought they were gorgeous.

He was really impressed that I knew what his boy was. And it was so lovely to see such a gorgeous dog out and about, with such a proud dad.

I'm am so often stopped and asked about my two - no one has heard of a wheaten terrier, but I'm cool with that, because 5 years ago I'd never heard of them either!

It's so funny, but the first thing most people say upon patting a wheaten is "isn't s/he soft'? You would've thought the name gave it away, but even I said it the first time I touched Anouk lol

I have met 2 SCWT at random and their owners were most impressed I knew what they were lol. One was a 5 months old pup at Flinders st station and the other was at our local festival :mad

We were at an ATM very early one morning on our way to school/work and a car pulled up next to us with a Japanese Spitz in the back seat. My daughter jumped out of our car to have a closer look and the owner rolled the window down so she could pat him, He was totally gorgeous and I asked her if she knew what breed it was. She said no, maybe a little Samoyed and I told her nope, he's a Japanese Spitz.

The owner went "Wow, you're the first person who's ever known what he is, how did you know?" I told him I show one of my dogs and I sometimes saw the JS's at dog shows and I thought they were gorgeous.

He was really impressed that I knew what his boy was. And it was so lovely to see such a gorgeous dog out and about, with such a proud dad.

:mad

Unfortunately, most people stop and talk to the Borders because they are cute and want to know what crossbreed they are. Withthe Smoothie it's also 'what cross is that?' but it is an opportunity to educate people on the fact that pure breeds CAN look like mongrels if that's what you prefer. So you get the best of both worlds with my breed :laugh: looks like the mutt down the street but is healthy and you know the parentage etc.

Used to have people mesmerized by my Newf :)

We get the same with Grace and Ruby, although older English or Irish people tend to know exactly what they are and love to say hello. :laugh:

It's often the Aussies that catch people's eye though, especially the merles.

Unfortunately, most people stop and talk to the Borders because they are cute and want to know what crossbreed they are. Withthe Smoothie it's also 'what cross is that?' but it is an opportunity to educate people on the fact that pure breeds CAN look like mongrels if that's what you prefer. So you get the best of both worlds with my breed :laugh: looks like the mutt down the street but is healthy and you know the parentage etc.

Used to have people mesmerized by my Newf :)

We get the same with Grace and Ruby, although older English or Irish people tend to know exactly what they are and love to say hello. :laugh:

It's often the Aussies that catch people's eye though, especially the merles.

Yeah we get a lot of older English / Scottish folk who know the breed, or people who have recently travelledto that area. Th closest anyone has come to recognizing Nessa is "is that some kind of Collie?" I don't think any non-dog person has picked the breed. Had one guy though who absolutely fell in love with her and thought she was the most amazing thing he had ever seen- promised to go home and research the breed etc.

Quite a few kids recognize the Borders as 'the dog from Good Boy' lol but don't know the breed. Have also found that walking the Borders in pairs or all 3 together makes people stop and ask about them. I guess if there is more than one they stand out more.

I've been stopped literally hundreds of times walking Zephyr and Hudson. I love when people want to meet them, whether they want a cuddle or just to say hello, it makes me so proud :laugh: I distinctly remember one old man asking me if they were show dogs, and I giggled and said no just pets. He almost seemed amazed that such beautiful dogs (haha biased?? :D ) were "just" pets :laugh:

Now I only own Zephyr the BMD, and we live right by the Norwood Parade (for anyone not in SA, it's a very busy street full of shops/cafes/restaurants/businesses in a lovely area just out of the Adelaide CBD.) Zeph now gets walked every day down The Parade and the attention he receives astounds me! People love him, and it's the greatest feeling. So many people have asked me what he is and where he came from etc, and are genuinely interested in the breed.

I agree Souff, it is such great recognition to get them out there and noticed :) Don't hide your beautiful canines in your backyard for no one to see and admire!

Edited by cassie

We are always stopped as well, no matter where we are! Especially when I have all three together.

Now that there is a puppy as well who is a mini version of her dad, we don't get anywhere fast :)

Very few people know what they are, so I don't mind talking to them about the breed and dogs in general. Usually while their kids are patting my very well behaved boys and smoochy baby girl, we've changed a few peoples perceptions.

Have also found that walking the Borders in pairs or all 3 together makes people stop and ask about them. I guess if there is more than one they stand out more.

Found that as well, on their own people think they are nice looking crosses, two or more together and the majority of people conclude that they are a breed :)

I can only think of a couple of occasions when I've had my GSDs out in public and people have stopped to ask about them, or give them a pat. I know they're a common breed and don't attract as much attention as the rarer ones. Sadly, even though mine are more than happy to lap up attention, there are lots of people that think of them as 'police dogs' and are wary :laugh: I find it really sad when children show an interest in the dogs and the parents snatch them away

Personally, I don't know how anyone could resist these faces :)

15.jpg

I used to read the James Herriot books when I was a teenager, and he had a Border Terrier. That's where I first heard of them. He always described them as fantastic little dogs.

They are :mad not that I'm biased :thumbsup:

Well suited to Australian families, too. There aren't many homes they wouldn't be happy in.

I used to read the James Herriot books when I was a teenager, and he had a Border Terrier. That's where I first heard of them. He always described them as fantastic little dogs.

They are :o not that I'm biased :thumbsup:

Well suited to Australian families, too. There aren't many homes they wouldn't be happy in.

I love Border Terriers, have for as long as I can remember. Have tried talking OH into getting one in the future but he is not so keen, he wants a bulldog and seeing as I got to have another Dobe I suppose it's only fair to let him. I'll wear him down eventually, might take a while though. :mad

Edited by dobesrock