Runts

klw

hello,im after some opinions,do runts or smaller pups catch up to littermates,just that i have reserved a puppy that is heaps smaller than the others and it isnt the runt but its only a bit bigger than it.im not sure if i want to take it so i would just like some opinions.litter is about 10 days old and i'll be seeing them at about 4wks.if the pup is still a lot smaller at that age does that mean it may stay small?thanks for your opinions.

It's hard to say. Some stay little but most do catch up when they go on solids. Of course a helping hand doesn't hurt by making sure they get ample time at the food bar or bowl.

Some puppies do get ahead - but some ,born with some physical condition which precludes them from being well nourished , will not. Some puppies just don't thrive.

When you say

heaps smaller than the others and it isnt the runt but its only a bit bigger than it.

is there another,yet smaller puppy? I guess I'd be concerned if there were two very tiny pups in a litter... do they all look round & content, with heads the same shape, or do the smaller ones really stick out?

With previous experience runts/ smaller puppies can sometimes be bigger than the others when fully grown, I remember having a runt in a litter and it ended up bigger than the others in the long run. The only thing you will need to do to make sure the puppy is alright is to take it to the vet and do the health check especially hurt murmur, hernia, etc. Sometimes runts can have minor issues than the other puppies as they don't feed as much as the others but time can change when you feed them independently...hope all goes well, but don't get a puppy if you don't feel right about it because you will love to bond well with them at the end :thumbsup: wish you all the best..

Not every litter has a runt. A runt is a puppy which fails to thrive and is sickly. It could be the biggest puppy born and just not grow like the rest. Personally I would never buy or keep the runt of a litter.

The smallest in a litter is a whole different story, some end up as big as their brothers and sisters, some are just smaller sized dogs. No real way of telling which it will do, but if the pup is vigorous and in all ways out there and healthy, it's size wouldn't concern me greatly as a pet

The smallers ones usually have the spunkier temperaments too.

Agreed!

My Esme was the smallest in the litter. She's still petite but that's what I loved about her. She is also still within standard for the breed. I do have trouble keeping weight on her but she is fit as a fiddle.

For me, it would depend on the breed. What breed are you looking at?

All of the above are good advice.

Main thing is to ensure hearts & hernias are not an issue.

Smaller dogs often have the best temperaments in my experience.

Maybe it is because they have to survive being picked on by the larger littermates!!! LOL

Agreed x2

My Katie was the runt.

Now 8 months old and she is still quite small for a pure Heeler. 100% healthy from birth just much smaller than the rest of her litter mates.

I don't know if she will catch up or not, but I don't care either. We are not heading in the show ring and she has the BEST personality. :rolleyes:

My wee girl certainly does! Cheeky little rat. She was a wee thing when born, but by about 7 weeks wasn't standing out as particularly small. She is now 3 and a half and quite a normal size, not small but not large. She is well within standard :laugh:

When she had her own litter, the smallest born was still the smallest at 'home time' but not by much and she certainly hasn't had any issues that I'm aware of! Lives on a farm :o