How Fussy Is Your Oh Pertaining To Dogs Inside The House

Moselle

When I asked my husband what made him fall in love with me, he told me it was the special way I interacted with my dogs.

In later years when he started to become more controlling and decided it was his right to tell me which dog I could or couldn't have, I made it simple for him. He could have me and the dog or I would happily move out.

The next day he did apologise :thumbsup:

When I had horses I recall the owner of a very promising dressage horse selling him because her husband had given her the "it's me or the horse" choice.

A few months later he left her anyway.

My dogs are not "just dogs" to me - they are my hobby, my passion and my companions. Anyone who doesn't "get" that is not someone I'd be wanting to share my life with. Fewer dogs in time I can understand but no wholesale changes to their lives or mine.

People who love you don't ask you to change who you are IMO. My dogs are a significant part of who I am.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love nothing more than watching my OH play with, cuddle and interact with the dogs in and out of the house. But when i first met him he didn't allow his 2 dogs inside very often- that changed pretty quickly and it was never a battleground- he wanted them in too but they had previously not been allowed in because of rental situation and before that they working cattle dogs in the country who just didn't come in.

One of the dogs (the other passed away a few years ago) still prefers to be outside alot of the time during the day- although i just rescued her from outside as it is pissing down rain and our normally well covered deck is soaked. There is no way i could leave her out because of any 'rule'!! She is now gratefully sitting in the corner, i have 3 on the couch and one on the bed too. :rofl::thumbsup:

Edited by Cosmolo

You are lucky he allows you to have dogs at all moselle :thumbsup:

:rofl: That is a given, no choice on that one, although he did suggest that I rehome some of them, he was given a slice of my opinion on that one. ;)

how many do you have?

The Sibs' (Charlie and Emmy) HuDaddy grew up with no pets either. He wasn't sure about dogs. Total Neat freak.

Charlie and Emmy are allow to do anything with him, if he is working and Emmy wants a cuddle.. he will stop working to give Emmy a cuddle or continue working with Emmy on his lap. He will sit on the couch with Charlie and share a bowl of ice cream together while watching tv. When his parents last year said that Charlie wasn't allowed inside the house... he packed his tent to set it out in the backyard. But, his parents, loves Charlie at sight and within 2 minutes, Charlie had free rein of their house too :thumbsup:

My partner is not really a dog person, but we do compromise. I currently have a greyhound, Deanna, who is the absolute best thing ever (in addition to OH, of course). I've been trying to tell OH very diplomatically that we absolutely MUST have another greyhound. He said that he wanted there to be more room between him and the animals. Ie if we're in the lounge, and the animals are in the lounge, he doesn't want that to necessarily mean that the animals are touching him. :rofl:

He said that he wouldn't mind if I got another greyhound, as long as we lived in a bigger place.

So on Monday we move into our bigger place ;) And on Tuesday my new greyhound Lucy is arriving :thumbsup:

It's lovely to read about partnerships in which both people are dog people. I understand that to those people, it probably does seem weird that partnerships like mine (and like the partnership that Moselle appears to have with her OH) can work. :o

My brother is a 'no dogs inside' kind of person. He thinks my dogs are "spoilt".

He keeps inviting me to visit with my dogs. Apparently they'd be allowed as far as the back deck. He gets a flat "no".

My dogs wouldn't cope with their sudden exclusion and frankly neither would I. :thumbsup:

I mean this as no offence to your brother poodlefan but does it piss anyone else off when people say that your dogs are spoilt because they sleep inside? It really gets me fired up!

My dogs sleep inside but you know what they have to work their little butts off to get EVERYTHING they want! A sit for a pat, a drop and wait for dinner, patient sitting in crates to be let out, a drop on mat at door to be patted by visitors, loose lead walking to the park etc etc. I bet half the idiots who make this comment spend hardly any time with their outside sleeping dog but when they do the dog get pats/food/attention/walk etc. all for FREE! So whose dog is really the spoilt one!!

Sorry rant over now.

I mean this as no offence to your brother poodlefan but does it piss anyone else off when people say that your dogs are spoilt because they sleep inside? It really gets me fired up!

My dogs sleep inside but you know what they have to work their little butts off to get EVERYTHING they want! A sit for a pat, a drop and wait for dinner, patient sitting in crates to be let out, a drop on mat at door to be patted by visitors, loose lead walking to the park etc etc. I bet half the idiots who make this comment spend hardly any time with their outside sleeping dog but when they do the dog get pats/food/attention/walk etc. all for FREE! So whose dog is really the spoilt one!!

Sorry rant over now.

Offend away Kiesha.. I don't agree with my brother's views and unsurprisingly, I told him so. :thumbsup:

And yes, it pisses me off too.

I had a "no dogs on the furniture unless invited" rule. Due to OH, it has slipped to a"no dogs in bed with us before the alarm goes off" rule. Although that has slipped to a "no dogs in bed with us before the first time OH gets up" rule. And due to Kivi being a sneaky cuddle bear, it has slipped again to a "no dogs in bed with us before the first time OH gets up unless they can do it without waking Corvus up" rule. I have woken up several times with Kivi spooned snuggly against me, his head on my shoulder and my other arm wrapped around him with no recollection of how he got there. OH claimed he had no idea either. I am suspicious about it. I think Kivi won that round however he did it. He is too nice to wake up snuggling.

So basically the dogs get to be wherever they want. Neither of us minds about the mess so much, except I'm more fussy about dirt in my bed. So the dogs being banned from sleeping in bed with us is still mostly in place despite repeated incursions.

Haven't read all the responses yet but....................

I had my dogs and horses lonnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggg before my oh.

He knows they are part of what makes me, me and he has no choice in the matter :o and as much as I love him dearly and couldn't imagine life without him if he told me the dogs weren't allowed inside he would be joining them outside :thumbsup::rofl:

In saying that he loves them just as much as I do, he feeds them, walks them, picks up poo, cleans up pee, has taken out puppies to the toilet at 3 in the morning in the middle of winter, takes the evil one to the toilet every morning at 5, comes to shows every weekend, sets up gazebos, bathes them, dries them, brushes them, has driven me from one side of the country to the other for shows, he has shared every high and low from being ringside when I got my first Best In Show to sitting on the floor of the vet, howling with me when I my old fella was pts ;)

Edited by SnoPaws

My brother is a 'no dogs inside' kind of person. He thinks my dogs are "spoilt".

He keeps inviting me to visit with my dogs. Apparently they'd be allowed as far as the back deck. He gets a flat "no".

My dogs wouldn't cope with their sudden exclusion and frankly neither would I. :rofl:

Your brother is an angel in comparison to mine. My brother grew up with a german shepherd that he adored along with cats but for whatever reason he has changed.....for the worse! He has no tolerance for dogs whatsoever :thumbsup: He will not go near dogs claiming they are ridden with disease, this applies to all dogs ;) . His ex wife wanted a puppy but he said NO WAY! If I go to visit my parents and he happens to be around, I have to leave my dogs in the backyard otherwise there would be hell to pay! His idea of the ideal pet is an aquariam. He and I are no longer close due to his dictatorial ways!

Edited by Moselle

You come across as a 1950's style housewife, is your whole family like that, don't any women get a say?

:rofl: ;) :o

1950's housewife? I have a career RJ, lol.....not your typical housewife at all. Nah, my whole family is vastly different....although as I said my brother is over the top when it comes to dogs and only to dogs and thank god he is the only one that is so extreme pertaining to dogs.

I have more than my say....you are seriously mistaken about me RJ.....It is moments like these that I am grateful that I do have a strong bladder otherwise I would be sitting on a wet patch right now given that I am laughing so hard! :rofl: I have learnt the art of compromising as I have matured, that is all.....and he has had to compromise in allowing my two dogs on the bed and even on my pillow. If he was to have had his way.....there would have been no dogs in the house let alone in bed! :thumbsup:

My OH gets really annoyed at the hair, which admittedly is a lot and gets everywhere - he prefers the wei who has less hair to shed but he knows that I'll never ever give up my setters and the white hair that comes with them. When I first met my OH, he had a dog that was not allowed inside. Seems there are a few out there brought up that way (dogs not allowed inside). I lived at home when I got Spartan, and he was an inside dog - when I moved out he came with me. OH didn't want him inside, I didn't want him outside - he'd been inside his whole life and I thought it was unfair. The compromise was that he'd spend his time outside while we were at work. Well the lack of company and change of situation for spartan caused him to bark all day and we had to take on my mum's greyhound for a while to keep him company, as we were waiting for James to be born at the time. When James came along they were outside together and were fine (a few puppy antics from James). When Ari came along, she dug up the retic - all my dogs are inside while we are at work after that little incident... they seem much happier inside and spend the afternoons outside or out walking with us when we get home from work.

Then why do you think that women who hunt are all rednecks, and those who chose to grown and kill their own meat are heathens? Those ideas are pretty dated. That combined with what you have posted sounds like you allow the men in your life to control you.

I dislike the idea of hunting, I just have a soft spot for animals and have no time for hunting especially. My mother comes from a farming background in which they killed their own meat although this did not happen all that often but it did happen nevertheless. Mum has never killed animals and could not bring herself to do this. There was a time when dad would have liked to keep meat rabbits but I recall kicking up a stink and it never went ahead albeit I don't think that dad had it in him to kill animals. My aunt's husband did kill his own meat namely chooks, ducks & rabbits; I felt a certain amount of disdain knowing that this was happening.

YES....I still feel the same way as I did a few weeks ago pertaining to the thread on ferreting but not so much about the actual deed but more so that a certain amount of sarcasm was thrown into the equation when it came to killing rabbits; my notion is that if you want to do it then just do it but don't be crass about it. As for women killing their own meat....it still makes my stomach turn......perhaps because I happen to be a softie when it comes to that sort of thing.

You are delusional in thinking that I allow men to control me.....I have NEVER posted anything that would imply that.

Edited to add.....that there is no point in rehashing the same 'ole, same 'ole...RJ; So what if you and I differ in our opinions when it comes to this sort of thing? is that reason enough for you to say that I allow men to control me? stop making stories, will you?

Edited by Moselle

We have agreed to compromise on everything that involves the dog. He isn't aloud on the carpet in our house. Fair enough because Jet cocks his leg a lot! (drives me crazy) We have also planned to extend the fencing to under our large patio so he gets more room undercover, which was my wish. OH can be pretty soft when it comes to Jet though, he insists Jet sleeps on our bed because he loves his cuddles. :thumbsup:

OH said come spring the dogs would be sleeping outside... both dogs are still inside. The V sleeps in his crate, the kelpie on his mat.. although the Kelpie is going to be relegated outdoors if he doesn't stop jumping on the bed in the middle of the night :thumbsup: They are allowed on the bed for cuddles at night, but they know when they have to get off..

OH was very much 'the v will be an outside dog and the kelpie too unless it's raining' but now he'd never do that to his 'precious' boy :rofl:

Edited by Bundy's Mum

My dogs wouldn't cope with their sudden exclusion and frankly neither would I. :thumbsup:

Neither my sister nor my mum are really into dogs, but my sister is really into kids so since her kids are allowed in my house, my dog is allowed in hers :rofl: Actually she has watched him for me a few times and commented he is much better behaved than her kids. ;)

My mum and dad have been married for nearly 45 years. Mum really isn't into dogs, but dad wouldn't be without them. They are in the Uk so no question about inside or out, as most dogs (bar working) would be inside. However, dogs are not allowed on couches or beds which I think is a fair compromise.

I have met a couple of men who I knew were interested in me who just didn't like animals at all. I don't mean indifferent, I mean didn't want animals near them. I didn't even bother going there, I just think that my boy is so much part of my life it just doesn't make sense to be with someone who would resent him being around.