What Would You Do ?

Cockerlover

Hi ,I dont often ask ??? here but i am @ a loss atm

My bitch delivered a single puppy (born by c section ) last friday ,At first she rejected bubs but has accepted her now ,despite me having to hold her down to feed .

puppy has NO IDEAR how to feed ,but can with my assistance now latch on, but need to be supported to feed.

mumma has milk$ but because only one weak sucker I suspect bubby is not getting much ,I am supp(bottol ) feeding 4 hrly & can get her to drink 12mls each feed .she weighs 110z now ,birth wieght was 10oz (280grms)

Sleep deprivived & hoping for some good advise .thanking you in anticipation .

I had a singleton last year from a natural birth. The hardest part was the first week, she just couldn't get enough milk as she was the only one sucking.

It might not work on a coated bitch ( assuming it won't ) but I used the breast pump and expressed off milk , plugged the pup in for feeds and the combination of the two meant she did have some good milk come in and let down. You can express by hand, I just got the back few teats started and left the top one's alone

I fed the pup for a few days, it was tough but we got there.

I guess you need to decide if you are prepared to keep feeding, look for a surrogate or PTS

Edited by ReadySetGo

Ask your vet to show you how to tube feed your little one.

You are getting to the point of no return, 1 week on and the puppy is less than 1/2 of birth weight and that is not good.

What formula are you giving?

I am feeding biolac ,I tried to get ingrediants for leeberg formular but cant get the corn syrup ??

I had a singleton last year from a natural birth. The hardest part was the first week, she just couldn't get enough milk as she was the only one sucking.

It might not work on a coated bitch ( assuming it won't ) but I used the breast pump and expressed off milk , plugged the pup in for feeds and the combination of the two meant she did have some good milk come in and let down. You can express by hand, I just got the back few teats started and left the top one's alone

I guess you need to decide if you are prepared to keep feeding, look for a surrogate or PTS

Thanx ,ill fight to the bitter end ,but just wondered if any one had any advice re formulars & milking bitch ,which i like u am trying to do with big boobs (back end ) not consontrating on others .

Thanx ,ill fight to the bitter end ,but just wondered if any one had any advice re formulars & milking bitch ,which i like u am trying to do with big boobs (back end ) not consontrating on others .

CL I would use the next boobs up as the bigger back ones can be too big for a poor sucker and also its harder to latch them coz the legs are in the way. next 2 easier.

We bottle feed & brought in special premmie teats from the US & they learn to suck very quickly,we found tube feeding didn't assist in this area

We have no luck with any of the formulas but always had success with goats milk but you must add cream.

Here it would be bottle feed & we would still try with the bitch especially during day feeds

You are getting to the point of no return, 1 week on and the puppy is less than 1/2 of birth weight and that is not good.

I am feeding biolac ,I tried to get ingrediants for leeberg formular but cant get the corn syrup ??

Corn(Karo) syrup can be bought from Kerry at Whelping Supplies. If you cant get Fresh Goats milk I would try and get a new product on the market which is powdered Goats Milk aimed for the feeding of animals....I have no idea what it is called. I am comping one of my little guys that is still only 10 gms over his birth weight, I am feeding him fresh goats milk with Karo syrup.

As RSG suggested if you keep milking mum at least her supply will deep going hopefully till her baby catches up. Good luck.

Foster mum if you can find one with similar sized puppies. Some bitches cope fine with a singleton and have a good milk supply. Others just don't seem to get the milk. In these cases a foster mum or tube feeding is the only answer, with a foster mum being preferable.

I tried the leerburg formula but found my baby didnt/couldnt digest it, as soon as i swtched to Woomaroo the weight piled on...where are you cockerlover, what a bout a foster?

I tried the leerburg formula but found my baby didnt/couldnt digest it, as soon as i swtched to Woomaroo the weight piled on...where are you cockerlover, what a bout a foster?

THANX to all who have replyed ,Im in country nsw

I have been using the following recipe for over 15 years now and have found it works a treat.

It is cheap, easy to get and last 5-7 days in the fridge.

1 can of evaporated milk, with 1 can of cool boiled water (use empty milk can for water).

Mix in an empty cool drink bottle (or similar) and shake to mix each time you use it.

I have always had fat healthy babies with firm (but yellow) stools using this.

Leanne