Urgent Help Sought Please

Pheebs

Hi Guys,

Just seeking your opinions (sorry, i've posted this also in General as I need to weigh up my options before I make any arrangements in the morning and am seeking as many thoughts as possible).

The situation is as follows:

We have Tess (11.5 year old Weimaraner), Lucy (18mth old Great Dane) and Maggie (2yo Boxer X).

I must admit i've been a bit slack in their heartworm prevention (usually get ProHeart injections) but we're without a car at the moment so haven't taken them to the vet in ages. Money is extremely tight as i've not been working all year (long story), so consequently I bought monthly nuheart heartworm preventative tablets.

Wanting to get into a routine, I decided to treat them on the first of the month - I bought the packets for Large Dogs between 23-45kg. Tess is around 32kg, Maggie about the same and Lucy i'm guessing is around the 45kg mark (she's still got a bit of filling out to do).

I gave them one tablet each (to be given monthly) of 272ug Ivermectin in conjunction with a 'Worm Rid' Broad Spectrum Wormer (Praziquantel 125mg, Oxantel Embonate 1355mg and Pyrantel Embonate 357.5mg) to be given 3-monthly.

This was given to them around midday yesterday. Upon reflection perhaps I should have just waited, taken them to the vet for the heartworm antigen test and then treated accordingly.

This evening at about 10pm, Maggie and Lucy are absolutely fine, but Tess (the elderly Weim) is having trouble walking, is stiff in the neck and is having trouble turning left. If you stand on her left and call her she moves full circle right in order to see you. She's bumping into the furniture, slipping, falling over etc.

She's still interested in food and drinking, her gums are nice and pink and her ears feel a teensy bit hot but apart from that she's breathing fine. We just took her for a quick walk around the block to gauge her general wellbeing and she was still incredibly keen, but still couldn't turn left despite being on lead.

I've called both the Lort Smith emergency line and the Werribee emergency vet who've both said it sounds neurological, not an emergency and to bring her in tomorrow morning. They've said I can bring her in straight away but basically there's nothing they can do for her until the neurologist can see her in the morning (which we need a referral for!!!)

In sum... what the hell do I do? Does it sound related to the Ivermectin? I know some breeds (collies, sheps) have sensitivities to Inermectin or does it sound like pure coincidence that she might have had a TIA or something of the like? Would it take 30 hours to show up a side effect such as this if it were connected?

Any suggestions would be great as I feel like such a terrible Mum right now :thumbsup:

Edited by Pheebs

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys,

Just seeking your opinions (sorry, i've posted this also in General as I need to weigh up my options before I make any arrangements in the morning and am seeking as many thoughts as possible).

The situation is as follows:

We have Tess (11.5 year old Weimaraner), Lucy (18mth old Great Dane) and Maggie (2yo Boxer X).

I must admit i've been a bit slack in their heartworm prevention (usually get ProHeart injections) but we're without a car at the moment so haven't taken them to the vet in ages. Money is extremely tight as i've not been working all year (long story), so consequently I bought monthly nuheart heartworm preventative tablets.

Wanting to get into a routine, I decided to treat them on the first of the month - I bought the packets for Large Dogs between 23-45kg. Tess is around 32kg, Maggie about the same and Lucy i'm guessing is around the 45kg mark (she's still got a bit of filling out to do).

I gave them one tablet each (to be given monthly) of 272ug Ivermectin in conjunction with a 'Worm Rid' Broad Spectrum Wormer (Praziquantel 125mg, Oxantel Embonate 1355mg and Pyrantel Embonate 357.5mg) to be given 3-monthly.

This was given to them around midday yesterday. Upon reflection perhaps I should have just waited, taken them to the vet for the heartworm antigen test and then treated accordingly.

This evening at about 10pm, Maggie and Lucy are absolutely fine, but Tess (the elderly Weim) is having trouble walking, is stiff in the neck and is having trouble turning left. If you stand on her left and call her she moves full circle right in order to see you. She's bumping into the furniture, slipping, falling over etc.

She's still interested in food and drinking, her gums are nice and pink and her ears feel a teensy bit hot but apart from that she's breathing fine. We just took her for a quick walk around the block to gauge her general wellbeing and she was still incredibly keen, but still couldn't turn left despite being on lead.

I've called both the Lort Smith emergency line and the Werribee emergency vet who've both said it sounds neurological, not an emergency and to bring her in tomorrow morning. They've said I can bring her in straight away but basically there's nothing they can do for her until the neurologist can see her in the morning (which we need a referral for!!!)In sum... what the hell do I do? Does it sound related to the Ivermectin? I know some breeds (collies, sheps) have sensitivities to Inermectin or does it sound like pure coincidence that she might have had a TIA or something of the like? Would it take 30 hours to show up a side effect such as this if it were connected?

Any suggestions would be great as I feel like such a terrible Mum right now :rolleyes:

I am sooooooooo sorry for you loss.

I cans ee you loved her very much. My heart goes out to you.

I am outraged by the comments you got from the centres you phoned.

Sending you hugs !!!