Adopted A Dog What Would You Do?

siks3

I have adopted a little dog that I just found out is pregnant.

What would you do with the pups.

I know how everybody is anti back yard breeder but should I give the dogs away to good homes or dispose of them when they are born.

I want to know what people think.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know how everybody is anti back yard breeder but should I give the dogs away to good homes or dispose of them when they are born.

I want to know what people think.

Where did you adopt the dog from? How far pregnant is she?

Speak to your vet about her welfare if she is speyed now. He will attend to the pups. It may be that the father was much bigger than she is and she will have trouble giving birth, needing a expensive cesarian, or dying. If all is well,l you will have lots of work and time and mess rearing the pups with no promise of homes.

Where did you adopt her from?

Most rescues should have desexed, so you don't have this problem. It is different if someone private asked you to take her.

How far along is the pregnancy? Have you asked the person you bought her from if they knew she was pregnant and when she was last in season? (Obviously a dumb question if she came from the pound - if from a proper rescue why isn't she spayed already?)

If she is in good health she can be spayed and the pups aborted up to 7 or so weeks I believe. Honestly this would be my first choice. If she is a small dog and been mated by a large breed dog you could have issues with the birth.

Wow some people can type real fast :grouphug:

Edited by Sandra777

I know how everybody is anti back yard breeder but should I give the dogs away to good homes or dispose of them when they are born.I want to know what people think.

What exactly do you mean by "disposing of the pups when they are born?" :grouphug:

You will find that in cases where the sire is bigger than the bitch, she will still be able to pass the pups with no difficulty whatsoever. C-sections take place all the time even though the sire is of the same size as the bitch, I have been told this info from a family friend who happens to be a vet. What breed is she? If she is in the very early stages of pregnancy, I would opt for her to be desexed, if she is advanced I would allow her to have the puppies and then find good homes for them. Don't ever give puppies away, more often than not...there is no such thing as "free to a good home." Sell them for a fee but never for free.

Edited by Moselle

Agree with the others to desex her now if you can. Your vet will tell you if that's possible.

If that's not possible then I probably wouldn't have the heart to cull them at birth, unless there was no chance of finding a suitable home for them.

The dog was abandoned at a friends neighbors house. They had moved and the dog was left there for 3 days without food or shelter.

So I took her home and she is a sweet little dog and my akita likes her a lot and they get along well.

She is a very timid little dog.

I am going to let her have the pups and find them good homes.

She is a min fox terrier X Chihuahua.

The dog was abandoned at a friends neighbors house. They had moved and the dog was left there for 3 days without food or shelter.

So I took her home and she is a sweet little dog and my akita likes her a lot and they get along well.

You cant just keep a dog like that you need to go through the pound system - you can ask for her to come to you if the owners are not found.

What you are doing is against the law.

You don't know the sire of the pups. Having the litter could kill her.

Abort and spey.

:grouphug:

probably not the best plan... but I wish you well, and I hope she is healthy enough to survive whelping/rearing puppies.

Siks- has she been scanned for a microchip ? Be careful if she is still under someone elses' details ....you will be stealing someone's dog.

Edited by persephone

You cant just keep a dog like that you need to go through the pound system - you can ask for her to come to you if the owners are not found.

What you are doing is against the law.

She may belong to someone that is still missing her.