Adopted A Dog What Would You Do?

siks3

The dog was abandoned at a friends neighbors house. They had moved and the dog was left there for 3 days without food or shelter.

So I took her home and she is a sweet little dog and my akita likes her a lot and they get along well.

She is a very timid little dog.

I am going to let her have the pups and find them good homes.

She is a min fox terrier X Chihuahua.

Are you prepared for the distress and expense of a C section??

I would have her desexed now.

Just read this again, this dog needs to be handed over to the pound. No ifs no buts.

Edited by Crisovar

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If she is timid, her pups may be timid too.

It is not a good idea to let this bitch have pups when you have an Akita at home that has recently seriously attacked a small dog. How would you feel if the Akita managed to kill that bitch when the pups were a few days old?

She needs to go to the pound now. She is not your dog.

If you let her have pups and advertise them, the original dog's owner can come and take them all off you any time they want.

The dog was abandoned at a friends neighbors house. They had moved and the dog was left there for 3 days without food or shelter.

So I took her home and she is a sweet little dog and my akita likes her a lot and they get along well.

You cant just keep a dog like that you need to go through the pound system - you can ask for her to come to you if the owners are not found.

What you are doing is against the law.

Seeing that they have moved interstate I don't think it is an issue.

Leaving a dog with no water in 35c and not feeding it would be more of a problem for the old owners.

Also the 2 dogs are separated i have 2 yards but they are getting along when i supervise them together.

Edited by siks3

Leaving a dog with no water in 35c and not feeding it would be more of a problem for the old owners.

I'm taking this to mean you know who the owner is? If so, get them to sign her over to you.

You cant just keep a dog like that you need to go through the pound system - you can ask for her to come to you if the owners are not found.

What you are doing is against the law.

That is not a good start for her developing pups. What if they have serious health problems?

It doesn't matter where the owners have moved to, that doesn't make the dog yours.

Siks3, it is obvious that you have the dog's best intentions at heart however, as other have said, keepig the dog is illegal.

Pleasr contact a SA rescue group, preferably not the RSPCA, for advice.

If you were in NSW a rescue group could probably liase between you and the pound and have the dog listed with the pound and arrange to have the dog cared for in a temporary foster situation becuse she is pregnant.

You could then arrange to adopt the dog once she had the pups. All would be official and legal that way.

I don't know if this could be done in SA but a rescue organisation can help you find out.

You cannot abort the dog until you have ownership.

Also the 2 dogs are separated i have 2 yards but they are getting along when i supervise them together.

So you have the grumpy old terrier in one yard, the Akita in another, and where are you keeping this one?

When bitches have pups they can turn very aggressive against other dogs. What if the Akita manages to rush through to where she is and gets her?

I was just thinking the same thing Greytmate. I have seen very placid bitches turn very protective when they have pups on the ground.

This is all very worrying to me. Kaz's advice was very good as is all the other advice.

That may be the case but what if she wasn't theirs in the first place? What if she has a real owner somewhere? She can't tell you her history, you have a responsibilty to confirm what you can of it.

You can usually contact the local council and have her scanned for a microchip. Some councils will let you hold her at home, especially if there is a medical reason, and will have her on their database as found in case someone is looking for her.

At her size a c-section is a very real, and very expensive possibility. A vet's opinion on what to do with the pregancy might be safest.

silks3, take the dog to your local vet and have the dog scanned as there is a possibility that she may have been stolen, went missing, etc etc. and the real owners would be fretting for her, if she isn't microchipped you could try to locate the owner, that is if the people that have abandoned her are not the original owners. I wouldn't go through the pound system but would go out of my way in making sure that she is indeed abandoned and that noone is desperately looking for her. If noone turns up for her and you do want to keep her bear in mind what the other posters have said, a mother dog is very protective of her babies and this could prove problematic with your akita, make doubly sure that they are kept apart esp after she has had the puppies; do not leave them alone together as of this moment on when you are not around, you would be taking a big risk at the detriment of the little dog. Is she showing signs of expecting or is it the early stages?

Edited by Moselle

i thought legally the dog had to be turned over to the council or the pound. can someone please confirm this or not?

sik if i am right you could be charged with theft of the dog, regardless of the situation. if you want to be sure of the legalities get the council or pound involved.

ets in any event keeping the puppies would not be an option for me, i would spey the bitch and make sure i wasn't contributing to the excess of dogs that are in pounds at this time of year.

i do not believe that bitches should be allowed to whelp if they are "rescued"

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

i thought legally the dog had to be turned over to the council or the pound. can someone please confirm this or not?

sik if i am right you could be charged with theft of the dog, regardless of the situation. if you want to be sure of the legalities get the council or pound involved.

ets in any event keeping the puppies would not be an option for me, i would spey the bitch and make sure i wasn't contributing to the excess of dogs that are in pounds at this time of year.

I could be wrong but if she has the dog scanned and it isn't microchipped and she then proceeds to locate the potential owner by placing ads in the lost section as well as the internet....I can't see how this is wrong, don't know whether one is legally expected to hand the dog in to the pound.....and even if this was the case it cannot be policed anyway unless the dog is microchipped and is scanned sometime down the track....

If the bitch was a purebred dog expecting puppies from another purebred dog, would you all still be of the same opinion that she be speyed whilst expecting?

I agree with this.

For a start, the little dog is timid, and so she can pass this trait on to her pups. We don't know anything about the father of the pups.

You would be knowingly selling pups that could have temperament problems, and people buying pets deserve better than that.

With so many lovely dogs in pounds and rescue needing homes at this time of year, why would you want to make it harder for them, by putting more carelessly bred pups onto the market?

I could be wrong but if she has the dog scanned and it isn't microchipped and she then proceeds to locate the potential owner by placing ads in the lost section as well as the internet....I can't see how this is wrong, don't know whether one is legally expected to hand the dog in to the pound.....and even if this was the case it cannot be policed anyway unless the dog is microchipped and is scanned sometime down the track....

If the bitch was a purebred dog expecting puppies from another purebred dog, would you all still be of the same opinion that she be speyed whilst expecting?

YES, unplanned, no health testing NO WAY.

Thats what I was told when my dog went missing so whoever has her now has "stolen" and if a vet does any type of surgery without my permission I can sue them ......so I have been told.

Yes. If you found a bitch in somebody's yard, how would you know she had been mated to a purebred anyway?

Responsible breeders invest a lot of time and money into their breeding program. If this was a well-bred breeding bitch that had been served recently, the breeder would be doing everything possible to get her back.

There have been good bitches stolen while pregnant. It is heart-wrenching to see their breeders post pleas all over the internet in a desperate attempt to get them back :grouphug:

Besides that, breeding from timid dogs isn't the right thing to do, regardless of breed.

Edited to add. While the ownership status of this dog is unclear, it needs to be impounded.

Edited by Greytmate

Thats what I was told when my dog went missing so whoever has her now has "stolen" and if a vet does any type of surgery without my permission I can sue them ......so I have been told.

thank you, there is something in the back of my mind that lost/abandoned dogs become the property of the council/pound and that is why it is also seen as stealing...apart from the process of a person trying to find their dog and expecting it to be at the pound

i believe keeping a dog "found" like this and kept, is morally and legally wrong

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

then I suggest you stop posting what you don't know about