Poor Roxy

Donna

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, who knows why she was declared unfit for rehoming? Did she have a bad temperament, did her health problems cost too much to fix, were her health problems too advanced to be cured, or did she look too much like a pitbull? You'd need a whole lot more details before you condemned the RSPCA for putting her down.

Shame on the owner for letting it get to this stage. If you can't afford the vet care, you shouldn't have the dog - letting it get into this state is pretty inexcusable.

Donna, I agree...

You'd need a whole lot more details before you condemned the RSPCA for putting her down.

Shame on the owner for letting it get to this stage. If you can't afford the vet care, you shouldn't have the dog - letting it get into this state is pretty inexcusable.

Donna, I agree...

You'd need a whole lot more details before you condemned the RSPCA for putting her down.

if the RSPCA were actually pro animal I would not question the decision but their track record is left wanting.

The article makes no mention of temperament or any health issue, maybe it should have, but then, if there were no lasting health issues or temperament problems identified she could have been rehabilitated?

From neglectful home, to vet clinic, to death, that does not sit well with me at all. I'll wager she never even got a meal or flea bath whilst she was being quickly evaluated and quickly condemned

Donna

If the dog had been surrendered MONTHS ago when the owner decided not to pay $ for vet treatment (and food by the look of the poor starved girl) she might have had a better chance of being rehomed. Point the finger where it's due. Not every dog is going to be deemed rehomable so get used to it.

If the dog had been surrendered MONTHS ago when the owner decided not to pay $ for vet treatment (and food by the look of the poor starved girl) she might have had a better chance of being rehomed. Point the finger where it's due. Not every dog is going to be deemed rehomable so get used to it.

totally agree. if the owner had surrendered the dog much earlier maybe she could have been rehomed

i still do not understand why people think the rspca has done the wrong thing :o

the owner is the problem not the rspca

To Blame the RSPCA for everything is the same as banning dogs solely on breed.

The responsibility is the owners, and it's all their fault.

I don't believe the RSPCA would've tried to rehome her, as someone said maybe she looked too much like a "pitbull".

poor puppy :)

I know it's trendy to bash the RSPCA, but please read the story first before you blame them. The reason they did not re-home her are there if you want to put forward an informed opinion.

"An RSPCA treating veterinarian said Roxy would have been in severe discomfort and suffering from undue stress for several months.""

This is why they did not try to re-home the dog. It would have have been inhumane to attempt to medically pull this dog back from an extremely bad condition. ''Extremely emaciated'' possibly means kidney and liver damage which is not reversible. When a dog gets that gaunt, it may not be possible to reverse. She also had a skin condition which added to the poor prognosis.

I also remember not too long ago the RSPCA being crucified for saving the badly damaged kitten Shelley. She never reached adulthood, and it would have been kinder to euth her.

I think the owner should be in for a world of torment, but feel sorry for the RSPCA officers who had to deal with this dog. It's a heartbreaking thing to do.

Edited by Aussienot

This is an awful thing to see and I hate seeing that this guy got a $2000 fine - hopefully he doesn't have the money to pay for it and he'll be sent where he belongs - jail.

I volunteered for the rspca for time and then stopped because I didn't agree with what they were doing. Their employees didnt seem to give a s**t about the animals.

Another thing is yes the poor girl would've been in discomfort for months if she were rehomed straight away - but why not give her to one of the employees to rehabilitate? I mean maybe her condition was irreversible but I wouldn't put it past the rspca to just flick poor roxy to the side. And she doesn't look anything like a pitbull.

I blame the stupid owner AND the rspca for this situation.

I am certainly no fan of the RSPCA and this is a call that they should make more often. I'm not for the attempted rehab of such dogs and putting them through the pain of treatment and the suffering that goes along with it.

Of course some of the dogs come out the other end and are eventually rehomed, but what price have the paid along the way, in the name of "rehab"?

Edited by ReadySetGo

I also remember not too long ago the RSPCA being crucified for saving the badly damaged kitten Shelley. She never reached adulthood, and it would have been kinder to euth her.

I think the owner should be in for a world of torment, but feel sorry for the RSPCA officers who had to deal with this dog. It's a heartbreaking thing to do.

Was that the Shelley who was dumped on tortured the dumped on the railway track?

The owner in this case is the one to blame not the RSPCA. Sometime PTS is kinder.