Dog Attack

biker girl

*nods*

Sorry labsrule, I'm sure it was frightening but it doesn't sound like the other dogs were intent on fighting your dog. They were bullying it. Which they absolutely shouldn't have been doing and you were within your rights to report it.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell you kicking a dog and laying your body on it, especially medium size up or a SBT/BT/APBT will do nothing. NEVER put your whole body on a dog unless you want to end up severely injured yourself, you risk a highly stressed animal latching onto your face/neck.

As for the thumb up the bum ... trust me I have applied a swift kick to the testes of an entire dog once to make him let go, he didnt flinch. Your thumb wont do a bloody thing and if it does - then it never really was a fight in the first place.

I KNOW it's hard to be calm and collected but dont scream and yell at the dogs you up their drive and they latch on harder.

Wheelbarrow if you can. If the dog it too big put the collar/leash up high as you can on the throat and squeeze for dear life, even if you have to lift the front legs off the ground. Natural gasping reflex will make the dogs mouth open and spit out its prey item. Some dogs are too big to wheelbarrow, last one I choked was over 50kg while the other one was only about 4kg. Wheelbarrowing does little in those cases.

Two evenly matched dogs can be pried apart with bite sticks if you have the experience and the manpower.

Dog parks? I never go. Walking - I carry a bamboo cane now. If any dog comes within range and wont back off it gets a crack across the face. Dont want your dog smacked keep it in your yard or on a leash.

*nods*

Sorry labsrule, I'm sure it was frightening but it doesn't sound like the other dogs were intent on fighting your dog. They were bullying it. Which they absolutely shouldn't have been doing and you were within your rights to report it.

I have to agree... the pack mentality that kicks in at dogs parks often means lots of bullying goes on but I rarely see serious fights with injuries. I've even seen the meekest dog in the dog park go and join in on biting/mouthing the face, ears, neck, legs, etc. of a dog that others are picking on.

Anyway, I agree that it's frightening and horrible even if there are no injuries. But I saw the footage on TV that I'm assuming the OP is talking about and it was just something else :o

*nods*

I have to agree... the pack mentality that kicks in at dogs parks often means lots of bullying goes on but I rarely see serious fights with injuries. I've even seen the meekest dog in the dog park go and join in on biting/mouthing the face, ears, neck, legs, etc. of a dog that others are picking on.

Anyway, I agree that it's frightening and horrible even if there are no injuries. But I saw the footage on TV that I'm assuming the OP is talking about and it was just something else :o

Agree here too. Bull breeds have a particular style of play that is much more physical (and sometimes noisy) than some other breeds use - it can be unnerving for people seeing it, and also scary for a dog subjected to it. I can see how bull breed play could sometimes be interpereted as an attack, and while it could certainly often be described as dominant, that doesnt make it an attack.

My dog was attacked, pure and simple and it pisses me off that people think otherwise just because he didn't suffer obvious physical injuries. :o - definition of "Dog Attack" below followed by the link to the Council I lodged the complaint with.

I sure as hell am not going to stand around thinking "oh are they just being bullies or dominant or playing rough" when they are jumping all over my boy, biting him around the neck, latching onto to his ear, pulling him down and rolling him, then latching on both ears and dragging him along the ground, meanwhile biting his legs, belly and neck. If that doesn't constitute an attack I sure as hell don't know what does. :)

Dog Attacks
Rushing at, chasing, harassing, or biting a person or animal, even if no injury has occurred, are all considered under the Companion Animals Act 1998 to be a dog attack. Council considers these occurrences to be very serious and responds to all reported dog attacks as soon as possible.

http://www.parracity.nsw.gov.au/residents/...hip/dog_attacks

She can understand the behaviour all she wants, but her dog suffered an attack. "Just playing" is the kind of excuse irresponsible owners use all the time. Dogs that play that roughly do not belong at a dog park.

Edited by Aussienot

Will full blast of water from the hose work in that situation?

Or they will be too lost in their fight that they wouldn't notice?

Water does nothing to dogs that are intent on fighting.All it does is make them wet and harder to grab hold of.

not quite so. keep the hose full bore on the nose, preferably straight up the nose if you can so it fills with water, and guess what? they cant breathe.... have to let go and youve the chance to pull them apart while spluttering...

worked a treat when two cattledogs latched onto each other.

partdrowned the worst agressor, then turned it on the other when he tried to renew the attack while the half drowned was being dragged away

Edited by asal

With respect Labsrule, the definition of 'attack' that is contained in the NSW Companion Animals Act, is grounded in public amenity, not dog behaviour.

Quite frankly I don't give a sh*t what it is grounded in, my dog was ATTACKED end of story :o

Agree here too. Bull breeds have a particular style of play that is much more physical (and sometimes noisy) than some other breeds use - it can be unnerving for people seeing it, and also scary for a dog subjected to it. I can see how bull breed play could sometimes be interpereted as an attack, and while it could certainly often be described as dominant, that doesnt make it an attack.

My guys carry on a treat when they play, but I know when it turns from playing into something that is crossing the line and soon stop it

Saying that, I have only ever allowed my dogs to play with dogs that can take it, there is no way Mum and Dads dog would play with my guys, they are way too rough for her. (Atlas and her play through the door with each other :o )

But Kaos used to play with one of Rastus Froggies dogs, as well as a Rottie at obedience, they got along well and played the same way. Atlas also used to play with a SBT, once again, great mix. I think anyone who has dogs who play rough are idiots if they allow their dogs to play with other dogs that can not cope with it.

I just came back from a walk with Kaos, some lady started talking to me, walking in the same direction. A stray dog ran up to us, i yelled something to it to scare it off, the lady was disgusted in me! Told me that dog could now get hit by a car and it belongs to someone and blah blah blah.

I told her I agree, i dont want anything to happen to the dog, and had I not had kaos, i would have picked it up, but my dog isnt good with others and no way I want a fight, so I did what i had to do, the lady stormed off on me :)

I had something similar happen to me recently.

I was at a cafe, Honey on lead under my table. I heard what sounded like a dog fight down the road, it stopped then I saw a large offlead dog trotting by itself down the foot path in our direction. It was being followed by a couple of dirtbags fruitlessly calling its name.

When it got near us it noticed Honey, and moved towards us. I pushed a chair over at it and yelled at it which caused it to pause enough for the owners to catch up and drag it away, but a woman next to me glared at me and said "oh that poor dog!". :o

Better for the dog to almost be hit by a chair than my dog bitten. ;)

I've been in the same situation in the past with an onlead DA dog and an offlead "friendly" dog and it ended up with me on the ground between the two dogs trying to attack each other. :)

Generally if an offlead dog shows any interest in my onlead dog, I pre-empt any interaction with a loud, forceful "SHOO". I'm not taking any chances if I don't know it.

My dog was attacked, pure and simple and it pisses me off that people think otherwise just because he didn't suffer obvious physical injuries. :o - definition of "Dog Attack" below followed by the link to the Council I lodged the complaint with.

I sure as hell am not going to stand around thinking "oh are they just being bullies or dominant or playing rough" when they are jumping all over my boy, biting him around the neck, latching onto to his ear, pulling him down and rolling him, then latching on both ears and dragging him along the ground, meanwhile biting his legs, belly and neck. If that doesn't constitute an attack I sure as hell don't know what does. :)

Dog Attacks
Rushing at, chasing, harassing, or biting a person or animal, even if no injury has occurred, are all considered under the Companion Animals Act 1998 to be a dog attack. Council considers these occurrences to be very serious and responds to all reported dog attacks as soon as possible.

http://www.parracity.nsw.gov.au/residents/...hip/dog_attacks

Wait wait, I didn't say that I didn't think that what happened to your dog was wrong, it was, and I would not have stood by and let my dog go through that either, especially not with 3 offenders.

My point was merely that a distinction should be made between dominant dogs that require a dominant leader and DA dogs which will attack and/or try to kill other dogs at every opportunity. Biting the ears and dragging the dog is a dominance behaviour, biting the neck, legs, drawing blood etc are aggressive/hunting/killing behaviours. There's a difference and it's important to note, because fact is, I know plenty of dogs who would engage in exactly that behaviour if their owners didn't stop them, and yet, in the right hands, they hardly ever demonstrate it and so are perceived to be safe, tolerant dogs. My dog is one of these. He does not want to kill or even hurt other dogs, but he does want to dominate some of them, especially dogs younger than him and largish ones (he ignores the small ones), and given half a chance, he will do this by charging the dog, putting his head over its' neck and biting the ear, knocking/pulling it to the ground, jumping on top of it and mouthing its neck. This looks and sounds (there can be a lot of growling) terrible to most people, and although I know my dog will/has never left a mark on any other dog, I always intervene, and I ensure that I maintain a level of obedience that enables me to be able to have my dog remain in a down even if the other dog is trying to jump on him (in a playful manner). Most dogs actually don't mind this so much, they will come up to the dog afterward and lick its mouth, ears back etc, or even try to engage in play, but it is not acceptable behaviour at any rate, firstly because it can upset other dogs (and/or their owners which can upset the dog), and some dogs will up this into a fight to determine who should be dominant.

So please don't think I'm trying to tell you that what your dog went through wasn't unpleasant and obviously terrifying for you, I'm only making the point that if you had come up against 3 DA dogs - 2 bullies and a shep, well, I'd say that unfortunately there would be a 95%+ that you would no longer have your dog, and at the very least, your dog would have spent a decent amount of time in hospital :)

Quite frankly I don't give a sh*t what it is grounded in, my dog was ATTACKED end of story :o

In those circumstances, the aggressors would have been on the end of my boot. I'd not have been standing around waiting for help or for the dogs to cease the attack.

I kicked a dog off mine before and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

In those circumstances, the aggressors would have been on the end of my boot. I'd not have been standing around waiting for help or for the dogs to cease the attack.

2 bullies and a GSD? I wouldn't kick them - I'd be worried about landing up in hospital or worse.

I'd "happily" kick away a less powerful dog though.

I fear not so much for my dogs when out walking, but certainly for any off leash aggressor that wants to take on three mature SBT's.

If I'm by myself , I will attempt to sink the boot in before any other dog gets near mine. Failing that, once a fight has started, I'm dropping my leashes and mine can choose to run away or fight, while I find something suitable to dispose of the aggressor with.

Edited by ReadySetGo

Quite frankly I don't give a sh*t what it is grounded in, my dog was ATTACKED end of story :mad

2 bullies and a GSD? I wouldn't kick them - I'd be worried about landing up in hospital or worse.

I'd "happily" kick away a less powerful dog though.

I've kicked a GSD off my poodle. Didn't hesitate. Sure as hell of is a lot safer than getting your hands near the bitey end.

Edited by poodlefan

I would honestly rather not think about it. I've been told by behaviourists that the best way is to grab the back legs and pull up and back if you have two people. If you're alone, leash tied under the belly (loins), walk them back to an anchor point, then get another leash or rope under the other dog's belly and walk backwards. That one came from a Pyr breeder - obviously it's a little hard to pick up an adult male Pyr. This is what I would do. If there were no anchor points somehow and I was on my own, I guess I'd have to think of something else. If we're talking about a very small dog in a very big dog's mouth and time is of the essence, good luck to me. I'm a cool head in a crisis, but there's only so much you can do. There's a story in Kicked, Bitten, Scratched about a trainer that got himself sat on by a peeved camel. He nearly died, but one of his students had the presence of mind to belt the camel with a very hefty piece of wood or something and it saw fit to get up and stalk away. He'd be dead if there had been no hefty pieces of wood lying around. I daresay my dog would be dead if I couldn't find something that worked quickly enough. That's just circumstantial. There's nothing I can do about it.

It's like worrying about what you'd do if you got mugged. Whatever you can to protect yourself and loved ones. I know some self-defence moves and don't take stupid risks. That's the best I can do.

I would honestly rather not think about it. I've been told by behaviourists that the best way is to grab the back legs and pull up and back if you have two people. If you're alone, leash tied under the belly (loins), walk them back to an anchor point, then get another leash or rope under the other dog's belly and walk backwards. That one came from a Pyr breeder - obviously it's a little hard to pick up an adult male Pyr. This is what I would do. If there were no anchor points somehow and I was on my own, I guess I'd have to think of something else. If we're talking about a very small dog in a very big dog's mouth and time is of the essence, good luck to me. I'm a cool head in a crisis, but there's only so much you can do. There's a story in Kicked, Bitten, Scratched about a trainer that got himself sat on by a peeved camel. He nearly died, but one of his students had the presence of mind to belt the camel with a very hefty piece of wood or something and it saw fit to get up and stalk away. He'd be dead if there had been no hefty pieces of wood lying around. I daresay my dog would be dead if I couldn't find something that worked quickly enough. That's just circumstantial. There's nothing I can do about it.

It's like worrying about what you'd do if you got mugged. Whatever you can to protect yourself and loved ones. I know some self-defence moves and don't take stupid risks. That's the best I can do.

In the snapping spinning melee that is a dog fight, how this is to be accomplished defeats me. :mad