To Kennel Or Not To Kennel?

PupPup

Ok I need advice.

We are going away for a week over xmas and can't take Harvey with us. It'll be the first time we are away from him for more than 1 night.

We have 2 options - put him in a kennel or leave him at home and have my family come visit him and feed him.

Being the big softie sook that I am I think i prefer to leave him at home where he is comfortable. At home he will have plenty of room to run around, probably have visitors twice a day and my sisters dog will hang out with him for a couple of those days. And I can call my folks and make sure he is ok everyday. There is no way he can get out either.

I know there is nothing wrong with putting him in a kennel but I feel bad.

Am I being stupid? I think I'll spend my whole holiday worrying about him. I don't want him to be lonely!

Oh dear, and i was thinking of going overseas for a month next year!!

If your haven't booked now for a week over xmas i would say you have no hope of getting into a kennel.

We have been booked out since june for Xmas & most kennels would be the same

Agree- all kennels would be booked out by now.

Some dogs don't do well in kennels and there is a problem with SOME poorly run kennels.

Personally I'd never board my dog at a vet clinic (that has "kennels" for boarding)

Can you get soemone to stay at your house for a few days? Or can he go stay with your family?

I booked our dogs into a kennel over Christmas way back in June and only just got in. So I doubt that you will have much luck finding one that is available. Especially not a good one.

Can't your dog go and stay with your parents or your sister? IMO a visit a couple of times a day isn't enough for that period of time. I can understand leaving them over night for a night or two with visits but not a week.

I think you've probably missed the boat on getting a kennel.

But NO WAY would I be happy with my dogs home alone for a week and only visited for feeding.

I doubt your neighbours would be thrilled either. Barking might be a real possiblity.

If my dog being left home alone for a week was the only option, I'd not be going away. :o

Edited by poodlefan

ok, maybe I need to look for an option 3... Not only am I a sook but a fool for not getting in sooner!

I have a friend who will be able to stay a few days and my sister can take him over to her place most days as well.

I just still feel guilty that I am leaving him :o

ok, maybe I need to look for an option 3... Not only am I a sook but a fool for not getting in sooner!

I have a friend who will be able to stay a few days and my sister can take him over to her place most days as well.

I just still feel guilty that I am leaving him :o

If you are leaving him with company or people he knows, he'll be fine. Much better for him to have company somewhere than to be home alone.

If had people I trusted i would probably leave my dogs at home, but as it is I don't have anyone I would trust with that and I know Buster wouldn't happily lt anyone wander in, we kennel them when we leave, it keeps them safe and fed and cared for by people that know dogs. We use a kennel about 90 minutes from where we live but they are great, the dogs always come back happy and their set up is great, I never feel bad leaving them there.

Every year we have someone come and stay with our two JRT's. They are always friends or family so the dogs are happy.

Our older dog fretted badly at the kennel and so it is much easier on my consciencous to have them in familiar surrounds.

Personally I'd never board my dog at a vet clinic (that has "kennels" for boarding)

Purely out of curiosity, why not?

I haven't had to board for ages (I am lucky enough to have someone look after the dogs in her own home when I am away), but I thought vet clinics offering boarding were a good option (being the worry wart that I am) in case the dogs fell sick etc

Really is hard to know whats best!

He's never been to a kennel before and we've never left him for more than a night.

I've made some inquiries at a couple of kennels to see if they have anything available, but like everyone suggested I've probably left it to late.

My back up plan is to have a friend come and stay, spoke to her before and she said she'd like to look after him so I should have him covered either way.

Wish I could take him with me, I don't want to leave my baby behind! Next time I am insisting we get a dog friendly place!

Geez if i'm like this with a dog imagine what it'd be like if/when I have children!

It is often possible to get into a kennel now - during December there are people who have had long standing bookings who have had plans change and no longer require the kennel place - We always seem to have a couple of cancellations for different reasons - dogs die (so sad) not going away - grown up kids are staying home and looking after the dog - just some examples.

If you do want a kennel you may find you just have to ring around quite a few to find something and even asking to be put on a waiting list - you might have to travel a bit further but it is still a better option than leaving your dog home alone for such a long time.

P.S. you wont have any options if you decide to have kids - its illegal to have them in boarding kennels - although I do get people ask! :mad

I often wonder at why people say their dog can't possibly get out if they're left at home and someone comes in daily to feed them.

One of the busiest times for shelters and pounds/rangers is holiday season and that's because many dogs escape because they've been left home alone with someone visiting to feed them. :mad

Personally, if my dogs can't come with me, I won't travel. They're getting older and as they all have special health needs and as I won't vaccinate them again unless a major pandemic of parvo or distemper hits, boarding is not suitable. I had no problems in boarding them previously, it's just that my situation has changed and I've made some changes to how I care for my dogs.

I'd suggest changing your plans to include your dog if at all possible. You may find the current arrangement allowing a dog to stay after all. Or you may have to find a boarding kennel further away but one that has a good reputation is likely to be fully or over booked. You can always put your name on waiting lists and cross your fingers. Or use a kennel at your destination if one is available.

To not know that kennels book out as early as they do for the Christmas period does not make you a fool.