On The Train Today I Saw An

SeeGee

I just wanted to share! It was the most well behaved miniture poodle (i think, was just a quick glance) spread out at the feet of his young charge on a blue mat which said "please dont pat me Im working!" So gorgeous and got such a lovely reaction from everyone on the train - very respectful, but politly curious people.

so cute, it is hard to resist patting or talking to "working" dogs.

I generally make a comment to the owner if it is appropriate - I like to think this makes them feel included in the ebb and flow of human traffic around them - much like recieving a smile in passing.

There was a guide dog on the plane the other day. Poor thing didn't like ascent or descent, but slept between his owners feet the rest of the way.

I said to the chap that "he's a lovely dog", his response was "yeah, he does alright" I had to :mad Qantas were really good with him too, owner got a special briefing, made sure the dog was ok... really gentle with supplying coffee so they didn't spill it on him. It warmed the heart

I know what you mean, Assistance/Service dogs are the ones that really bring a bit of a tear to my eye.

This is an area that I have started working on with dogs after seeing so many at a Dog Conference in Texas early this year. Next April will be going to San Diego for another Conference and have lined up a few different facilities to visit and meet with trainers about the work they do. It is a very exciting field and just amazing to watch a dog you have worked with and see how much joy and confidence they bring to their families.

It is not that far out of the reach of ordinary families tho - after all the skills for an Assistant/Service dog is the same as what we should be aiming for as an amazing family pet. Just perhaps adding some individual personal needs.

For example : with my next litter we have a young woman who would like her pup to learn how to pull the doona back off her at night when she gets hot and pull it back on when she feels cold - that way she can feel more independent because she won't need to wake up her Carer during the night. We will start the pup off with a specific Tug Pad that can be connected to whatever the girl wants the dog to pull. The family will be able to continue to develop this and have the dog pulling anything she asks. Sometimes it can be as simple as getting a dog to move a pillow out of the way so she can drive her wheelchair thru the doorway.

If you are interested here is a link to a lovely short film about a group in Georgia USA

http://www.pbs.org/dogs-eyes/film#/jennifers-story

There was a guide dog on the plane the other day. Poor thing didn't like ascent or descent, but slept between his owners feet the rest of the way.

I said to the chap that "he's a lovely dog", his response was "yeah, he does alright" I had to :) Qantas were really good with him too, owner got a special briefing, made sure the dog was ok... really gentle with supplying coffee so they didn't spill it on him. It warmed the heart

I sat next to a lady with a guide dog earlier this year and about half way through the flight I asked if I could give him a little pat and she was so lovely she let me walk him down to the toilets just to stretch his legs! I was very hesitant to even ask because I know of the strick rules but she was so laid back and we had been talking the whole way so far. I helped her get off the plane and gave her doggy Oscar a treat! :thumbsup: highlight of my trip!

Yep ascent and descent are the hardest for some dogs. My first AD didn't really like them either. My current AD couldn't care less :wave: she just sleeps the whole way. She's so easy to travel with, we've done around 14 flights so far.