Tell Me Where You Buy Your Gear. Time For A New Toy :)

becandcharch

Soooo.... OH is going to spoil me this Xmas and get me a new lens :mad

I really want the Canon 70-200 IS 2.8. Like, reeeeeeeeeeeeallly want it :laugh:

I know some of you use dwi but interested in some other places (online is fine) so I can start shopping :)

Another question I have without starting a new thread - (hoping kja is in here :laugh: )

Tell me how important is IS? Ill be shooting pooches and cyclists mostly. Am I right in thinking that this is cheap because it doesnt have IS?

Is there one in between the above and this one? I ask because I didnt think this one was as expensive.

At the moment I only have the 50mm 1.4 plus my kit lens I never use. I also want the 24-70 2.8 but figure I should add a telephoto to my list first.

Any other suggestions are welcome and please feel free to send me linkies with any bargains people!

Thanks in advance!

Edited to add - Maybe I should look at The Sigma Is OS the same as IS? What else am I paying for with Canon besides it being white!? Am I asking enough questions!?

Edited by becandcharch

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my body from Ted's and lenses from DDP.

I can't really help with the IS stuff, but start building your muscles, because that lens is heavy! Well, it was for me. I borrowed one during a wedding recently and by the end of the day my wrists were super sore :mad I am too used to the teeny 50mm.

Edited by huga

I bought my body from Ted's and lenses from DDP.

I can't really help with the IS stuff, but start building your muscles, because that lens is heavy! Well, it was for me. I borrowed one during a wedding recently and by the end of the day my wrists were super sore :) I am too used to the teeny 50mm.

Thanks Huga. Ill check them out. I know what you mean, I borrowed the Sigma version (non IS) and my arms and neck felt it the next day! :mad

Edited by becandcharch

I'll be watching this with interest as my OH has said yes to lenses for xmas too :mad B&H definitely is cheap, but I have a concern about warranties if I get a duff lens :laugh: DigiDirect seems to have reasonable prices and Australia warranties, but they can't match dwi or digitalrev for prices.

Bec - is that the 70-200 L ? Very nice :) I think you could buy all 3 lenses I have on my list for one of those :laugh:

Edited by CrazyCresties

I'll be watching this with interest as my OH has said yes to lenses for xmas too :mad B&H definitely is cheap, but I have a concern about warranties if I get a duff lens :laugh: DigiDirect seems to have reasonable prices and Australia warranties, but they can't match dwi or digitalrev for prices.

Bec - is that the 70-200 L ? Very nice :) I think you could buy all 3 lenses I have on my list for one of those :laugh:

Yeah thats the one I want but still not sure I can justify it :D

Whatcha gonna get!!?

I've just got the 350D and kit lenses atm, so going for 3rd party ones as I don't need L quality yet - need my skill level to increase dramatically first :)

* Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD

* Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2.0 Di II LD (IF) 1:1 Macro

* Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM or Sigma Lens 50mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM

And I have my eye on a 7D if some shares I have keep moving upwards :laugh::mad

the 7D was only $1300 a couple of weeks ago at DWI and the little 50 1.8 only $80 earlier this week.

Was down to $1290 the other day, up to $1330 at the moment :(

Am interested to hear of the IS is worth it too? I am looking at both lenses, but can't really afford the IS right now, should I hold out???

oooh Bec!!! :(

Im contemplating the 70-200 2.8 IS vs non-IS but I think I will save the extra for the IS. The non IS price is so affordable though! ARGH!

Ive only bought lenses from DWI and have always been happy with their service and speed of delivery. I find them to be quite cheap compared to other places (most of the time).

I think for you though, if its mostly outdoors (doggies and bikes), then non IS would be fine. Depending how picky you are about the motion blur you want with the cyclists? Maybe IS would be better?

I have googled both IS and non IS and really the IS is that bit better for low light situations. Quality and sharpness etc they are pretty much on par.

Fingers crossed your new toy is in your hot little hands soon!!! :(

I have the non-IS version and I'm happy.

Haven't had a problem with it yet but I have very steady hands and can carry it around all day without a problem. :(

Next on my list is the 24-70 2.8L but it's a long way off. Too poor for anything close to that!

Talk to Annie, she has the Sigma, I think she's happy with it and it's alot cheaper than the Canon and dont forget to check out the lens archive on POTN.

Yeah I have used the one Annie has. I liked it but didnt try it out in all situations Ill be using now.

Im reading reviews on the Sigma with IS and its sounding like a good option :(

I got a canon 70-200 is ii usm 2.8 yesterday. Best deals were dwi or b and h in America. Husband bought it for a surprise Xmas present and it came in 5 days from dwi hong kong. It's suuuuuuper. But bloody heavy I need a tripod now!

ooooohhh jealous!!!! post pics immediately please!

When you say dwi Hong Kong is that the normal website or a different one?

Bec, all lenses from DWI are imported from HK. I got my 85mm 1.8 from there and it was here in like 3 days!!

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight... thanks!

Man this is too hard. I think if I get the Canon IS I will have to wait a little longer.

I have started a thread on POTN to get some advice re Canon V Sigma. If both have IS I juat want to know what Ill miss out on with the Sigma.

I do LOVE that their delivery times are so quick! :dummy:

I shop mostly at B&H Photo, but I'll use a variety of other US places, too. Even with shipping they have almost always smacked the snot out of Aussie prices.

And I'd definitely spring for the IS version of the 70-200 if you can afford it - if you can't really stretch the budget that far I'd find a second hand original 70-200 2.8 IS. I've used both side by side and although the new one is super awesomeness, there is nothing wrong with the original version. I haven't bothered to move to the newer one as it just doesn't give me enough benefit over my existing lens.

Sigma's version with OS is also a fabulous lens - and nicer to the budget. I don't have one myself, but have used one for a very short time and it did everything I needed it to do and my friends who have it love it.

There she is!

Thanks kja. I think am leaning towards the Sigma. I cant really find enough reason to justify the Canon and no one can seem to tell me anything great Im missing out on.

Its $$ I could put towards my 24-70 2.8 which otherwise will take ages to get.

I shop mostly at B&H Photo, but I'll use a variety of other US places, too. Even with shipping they have almost always smacked the snot out of Aussie prices.

And I'd definitely spring for the IS version of the 70-200 if you can afford it - if you can't really stretch the budget that far I'd find a second hand original 70-200 2.8 IS. I've used both side by side and although the new one is super awesomeness, there is nothing wrong with the original version. I haven't bothered to move to the newer one as it just doesn't give me enough benefit over my existing lens.

Sigma's version with OS is also a fabulous lens - and nicer to the budget. I don't have one myself, but have used one for a very short time and it did everything I needed it to do and my friends who have it love it.