Heartworm Injections, Affordable Vet?

daina

Hi

Does anyone know of a 'reasonable' priced vet in or around Melbourne?

I need two dogs tested for heartworm & then vaccinated against heartworm.

It's a very costly event so any suggestions to more affordable vets would be appreciated!

If not, then I'll stick with a vet in my area.

Thanks.

Can't help you as I'm in Sydney, but just thought I'd mention that the Heartworm injection is not a vaccine, but instead, injecting the dog with enough chemical to slow release over 12 months.

Also, the price of the SR-12 has (once again) just gone up by the manufacturer, so if you really want to have this done, try for sooner rather than later.

Many here, myself included, are not big fans of the heartworm injection so I'm not sure how many recommendations you'll get. Could monthly tablets/chews be more economical?

Hi

Does anyone know of a 'reasonable' priced vet in or around Melbourne?

I need two dogs tested for heartworm & then vaccinated against heartworm.

It's a very costly event so any suggestions to more affordable vets would be appreciated!

If not, then I'll stick with a vet in my area.

Thanks.

I have not used them myself, but some people I have met have taken their dogs to the Lort Smith Animal Hospital. Might be worthwhile 'phoning them and asking them their fees.

Also, I wouldn't be in favour of using the 12 monthly heart worm injection either. I wouldn't feel comfortable dosing my boys with 12 months worth of chemicals when I can do it 4-6 weekly.

heartworm injections are not a vaccine, they are 12 months worth of chemicals floating in the body, to put it simply.

I refuse to use them, if you want heartworm put them on a monthly heartworm treatment instead

Oh wow - I didn't realize that the injection was looked so poorly upon! Is it because it can be fatal?

Id like to know the reason behind the opinion (other than chem's floating in body as that really isn't a proven issue I dont think but personal preference and non-technical comment?) because the injection is definitely a better option financially but also because I won't 'forget' to do the monthly treatment (it if you lapse the monthly treatment even by a week, you have to retest etc).

Of course, if the injection has been scientifically proven to be fatal or damaging to the dog, then I'd definitely go the monthly tablets.

Ive rung over 5 vets & none have been anti injection. In fact, most recommended it over the tablets !!

Whoops, double post

Oh wow - I didn't realize that the injection was looked so poorly upon! Is it because it can be fatal?

Id like to know the reason behind the opinion (other than chem's floating in body as that really isn't a proven issue I dont think but personal preference and non-technical comment?) because the injection is definitely a better option financially but also because I won't 'forget' to do the monthly treatment (it if you lapse the monthly treatment even by a week, you have to retest etc).

Of course, if the injection has been scientifically proven to be fatal or damaging to the dog, then I'd definitely go the monthly tablets.

Ive rung over 5 vets & none have been anti injection. In fact, most recommended it over the tablets !!

Edited by daina

The same product (except a 6month dose) with withdrawn from use in America due to the high incidence of adverse reactions

Most will probably recommend it over the tablets because you can only get it from a vet. Tablets you can buy online for the same price vet clinics pay for them.

I can't say I've seen any adverse reactions to the product, but even so, I wouldn't risk it. Once it's injected, you can't get it out. So if there is a reaction to the drug, its going to keep slowly releasing for the next 12 months. With a tablet, it gets digested and does it's thing that day. If there's a reaction, there's more chance of getting them through it.

Chances are, your dogs won't have any reaction at all. But just explaining why I'm not a fan.

Have you tried looking at some discount websites? PetsWarehouse.com.au seem to have products for sale for less than a dollar more than our clinic can buy them at, so might be an option? As for remembering to dose, I just put a reminder on my phone and calendar.

Of course the vet will recommend it ,your own words where looking for a cheaper option which are out there via the tablets.

It isn't that hard to remember 1 day each month.

The injections cost is over the top & you could with smart shopping with 2 dogs well & truly buy cheaper

Who ever told you about missing a week & retesting isn't telling you the truth either.

An honest vet will give you the pros/cons with that drug & any that doesn't isn't doing there job correctly.

There are certainly many proven cases of issues with the drug.

Do you flea/tick treat your dogs??

Edited by showdog

Who ever told you about missing a week & retesting isn't telling you the truth either.

Definitely...

These are the guidelines for missing a dose of Interceptor:

If a regular monthly treatment is missed by 15 days or less, administer Interceptor Spectrum immediately and resume monthly dosing schedule. If a dose is missed by 15 to 30 days, heartworm prevention can be maintained if the dog is dosed immediately and then maintained on regular monthly dosing for the next two months. If a period of greater than 60 days has elapsed since the last dose, veterinary consultation is recommended.

Whoops, double post

The Proheart injection was actually taken off the market in the USA because of the high number of serious reactions, including fatal.

In Canada the product data now states to be used only if no alternative is suitable.

The following is the wording on the actual Veterinarian Information included in the product in Canada.

ProHeart 6 Caution

Do not use in sick, debilitated or underweight dogs. All dogs 6 months of age and older should be tested for patent heartworm infections before beginning treatment with ProHeart 6. ProHeart 6 should only be used in dogs testing negative for the presence of existing heartworm infection. Infected dogs should be treated to remove adult heartworms and microfilariae prior to initiating treatment with ProHeart 6. Further re-testing before re-treatment with ProHeart 6 is at the discretion of the veterinarian.

Because Of Its Potential For Serious Adverse Drug Reactions And The Absence Of Identifiable Risk Factors Associated With Those Reactions, Proheart 6 Is Only Indicated For Those Dogs In Which Alternative Preventatives Cannot Be Effectively Administered.*

The USA product is only a 6 month, here in Australia it is 12months.

After reading what I have on the issues, plus the fact that my Vet does not recommend it I chose to never use it.

Vet Info

Edited by Crisovar

Check out Interceptor/Sentinel... both are cheaper options than Proheart,

Where I work the vet even recommends these over the injection, only clients who cannot remember at all get the yearly. We tell most people to put reminders into their mobile phones as makes it nice and easy to remember :wave:

If you want a really cheap vet during school term (too late now) TAFE in Box Hill is unbeatable for vaccinations and desexing, qualified vets and trainee nurses and you will actually get a proper check up for your pets. Lort Smith is also ok but can be a bit of wait to get in and depends on the vet on how much of a check up your pet will get. Otherwise ring around and get some prices of a vet local to you.

both my dogs were administered the heartworm injection in 2009 --- both had terrible reactions to it that lasted for several days and set byron up for months and months of skin irritation that bore absolutely no external evidence. it wasn't on good authority but a number of dog owners complained of the same longterm reaction in their dog and having heavily researched the effects of the heartworm injection, i was convinced that the development of his hellish itch was directly related to the injection. i don't believe in coincidences...

his itchies started to settle in september this year --- one month short of a year since he was vaccinated...

he still scratches but minimally and he's getting better by the day :eek:

i've had them both on sentinel spectrum since mid-october and i'm a helluva lot happier with the result :wave:

IMO, don't do the injection :)

Both of my dogs are on the heartworm injection and have suffered no ill-effects. One is a Kelpie one is a Kelpie/Border collie cross.

As you've pointed out, it's definitely frowned on here on DOL. I had long discussions with my vet over it - she's very experienced and it's the same veterinary surgery that also looked after our old family dog (although with an updated team of course). I read up extensively about the pros and cons of the injection, I read all of the posts here on DOL about it and printed out a lot of the literature and spoke about it with the vet, particularly about the fact that Collie breeds tend to be more sensitive. I even bought a box of chews through the vet because DOL had scared me off the injection at first.

In all her years, she hasn't had any problems with it (including collies and Border Collies) and at the end of the day, as much as I respect the opinions of people here, I chose to follow the advice of the vet who I know and trust and in whom I will place my dogs' lives if anything goes wrong. The vet and her staff have never let me down so far and for tiny emergencies, they've always squeezed us in no matter how busy they are, they've accommodated inconvenient timing requests and they don't always charge us for every little thing.

She and all her staff are personally fond of my two dogs and from a purely mercenary point of view, they'll get a lot more money out of us if the dogs live than if they die or if they get sick because of the injection and we go somewhere else. Because I trust her, I trust that she'll act in our puppies' best interests. Many of her patients are long-termers - we keep going back and this wouldn't be happening if she wasn't doing the right thing by our dogs.

I'm not saying that you should go with the injection, just saying you should make up your own mind based on your own circumstances. For us because of a severe illness in the family which means constant emergencies and dashing off the hospital and rushing around - we didn't want to run the risk of accidentally forgetting to administer the medication. Yes it shouldn't be not hard to remember such things, but when things get stressful and we're busy and at emergency all day and night, I've forgotten to pay bills and I've ever forgotten to take the pill (!!) - so the injection works out best for us.

Edited by koalathebear

In all her years, she hasn't had any problems with it (including collies and Border Collies) and at the end of the day, as much as I respect the opinions of people here, I chose to follow the advice of the vet who I know and trust and in whom I will place my dogs' lives if anything goes wrong

I too trust my vet i am also not say silly as to not research any drug going into my animals other than the vets .

The fact is there have been major issues with the drug & your vet would be fully aware if they keep themselves current with products they sell/administer

Edited by showdog

I too trust my vet i am also not say silly as to not research any drug going into my animals other than the vets .

:thumbsup: Calling me silly is somewhat discourteous but I'll excuse you given that you were posting at 2.33am and perhaps somewhat sleep-deprived at the time. I'll also attribute your sleep deprived state for the reason you didn't actually read my post to see that I did research the issue extensively and printed out material to discuss with my vet. :( I take my responsibilities as a dog owner very seriously but although in my early days on DOL I placed a lot of weight in what I read on DOL, in time - I realised that as with many things, it's best to obtain information and counsel from many sources and also from people who actually know my dogs because information on DOL can be confusing and contradictory - if people followed DOL religiously they wouldn't even know when and if to get their dogs desexed because there's no consensus on even that ostensibly fundamental issue.

Our vet never said that she has never heard of the risk, she told us that in her experience she had never seen an adverse reaction and if one had taken place, she certainly would have.

The method of heartworm treatment is completely a matter of personal choice for each owner and I would never be so uncivil as to denigrate someone else's decision so long as they had considered the information available and made an informed decision. To recapitulate my existing comments in terms that may be more fathomable to you - I am not advocating that other people use the heartworm injection. I fully appreciate that there are dogs out there who have suffered terrible side effects. I am just stating that my two dogs are on the heartworm injection and they are fine. No matter how silly you think I am, my dogs are neither sick nor dead from taking the injection. These are the facts and at law, I am entitled to state them even if you disagree with me. Although the Australian Constitution does not expressly protect freedom of speech or expression, the High Court of Australia held in 1992 that a right to freedom of expression, in so far as public and political discussion were concerned, was implied in the Constitution. Believe it or not - that extends to online fora such as dogzonline. :) I'm hardly running the risk of imperilling anyone given that there's hardly a dearth of comments pointing out the drawbacks of the injection. ;)

There are also many other dogs out there who aren't affected and if you're lucky enough to have a dog that can take the injection - why should you be precluded from using it if it's appropriate for your personal circumstances?

The fact is that most if not all medications carry with them a degree of risk. Just take a look at this. It sounds awful doesn't it?

This medication may rarely cause serious (sometimes fatal) problems from blood clots (e.g., pulmonary embolism, stroke, heart attack). Seek immediate medical attention if you experience: sudden shortness of breath, chest/jaw/left arm pain, confusion, coughing up blood, sudden dizziness/fainting, pain/swelling/warmth in the groin/calf, tingling/weakness/numbness in the arms/legs, headaches that are different from those you may have experienced in the past (e.g., headaches with other symptoms such as vision changes/lack of coordination, existing migraines becoming worse, sudden/very severe headaches), slurred speech, weakness on one side of the body, vision problems/changes. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these rare but very serious side effects occur: lumps in the breast, severe stomach/abdominal/pelvic pain, mental/mood changes (e.g., depression, suicidal thoughts, persistent trouble sleeping), unusual tiredness, dark urine, yellowing eyes/skin. A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction include: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.

It hasn't stopped countless women around the world electing to take the contraceptive pill despite the fact that there are many unfortunate enough to suffer serious side effects - as mentioned, it can even lead to deaths. Picking medication for oneself and one's pet is about assessing one's personal circumstances and needs. Again, to continue the comparison to the ubiquitous Pill, some women can't take the Pill so use barrier methods. Some women don't like the pill and opt for a contraceptive implant under the skin which releases a steady stream of etonorgestrol into the bloodstream over a course of up to three years. What women use will vary depending on their own personal preferences and condition.

If you wish to wrongly ascribe my actions to that of poorly educated and misinformed ignorant dog owner that's of course entirely your prerogative. In terms of your slighting comments about my vet, she has never been anything but kind, courteous, helpful and well-informed. A most sharp and marked contrast to your manner towards me. :(

Edited by koalathebear

After having a dog die from an extremely aggressive Cancer (Hemangiosarcoma) of the blood cells which can be caused by exposure to toxins I am now extremely careful of any chemicals I expose my new Lab youngster and older Lab boys to. My beautiful boy that I lost to cancer was on the heartworm injection for about half his life and he was given annual vaccinations and he was treated monthly with flea and tick treatments due to a flea allergy. He also had a large range of toys that the majority I know now are "toxic" to dogs and being a Labrador he carried toys around in his mouth constantly.

My new lab youngster has had his puppy vaccinations and he will have his 1st annual vac in January and after that will be titre tested and only when absolutely necessary will he ever be vaccinated again. He is on monthly heartworm chewables as there is no way I will ever expose him or any of my other dogs again to the H/W Injection and I know that there is a two week window if I don't give him or the other boys their heartworm chewable precisely monthly. My youngster has never been given flea and tick treatment and luckily we do not have a flea problem in our area and I stopped flea/tick treatments and annual vaccinations on my older boys a couple of years ago. If I ever plan to visit a high risk tick area with any of my boys, then I will treat them prior to the visit.

I only buy non toxic toys for my youngster where the manufacturer can verify the toy is non toxic and I have recently binned any of my youngster's soft toys that I cannot verify that they are non toxic and have replaced with verified "non toxic" toys and am currently evaluating some more for chrissy pressies that are also non-toxic including appropriate kids soft toys for him.

With regards to the Heartworm Injection, it contains 12months worth of chemical that is being pumped into a dog in one hit and and even though it is slow release, if there are any adverse reactions, then there is no way to rid the body of this chemical once it has been injected. I too opted for the "convenience" of a once a year injection as opposed to remembering monthly chewables, but never again and I actually find it very easy to remember to give my dogs their monthly chewable. I place the heart stickers on the calendar and I know that I have to give them their chewable every month and I don't freak out if I am a few days late or even up to 2 weeks late as there is a two week window and my vet has also mentioned this on more than one occasion.

I personally think dog owners need to be much more aware of the potential risks to our dogs for the amount of chemicals that we are exposing our dogs to. Majority of us trust our vets and have great relationships with them, but they can't and don't know everything and I often have robust discussions with my vet on nutrition, vaccination, amount of chemicals our dogs are exposed to and a range of other issues and there are things that we just agree to disagree on.

Over the last few years I have done a lot of research and investigation into various canine issues to educate myself better in canine nutrition, vaccination, exposure of canines to chemicals and toxins etc in an effort to provide them wth the best of care and health and and minimise potential risks. I am not going to place my dogs' health 100% into the hands of my vet now matter how much I trust them and how knowledgeable they are, as my dogs are my responsibility and I need to keep educating myself on potential risks to them. Unfortunately owner's ignorance on potential risks to dogs can mean their dog(s) can pay a very high price for this ignorance :thumbsup: . I wonder every day if my beautiful boy would still be alive today, if I had known in his early years what I know now and even then I wasn't a novice dog owner, but I wasn't knowledgeable in the areas of chemical/toxins that our dogs are so exposed to on a regular basis. I will never know what actually caused my boy's Cancer :( , whether it was a certain toxin, or a combination of all the chemicals/toxins he was exposed to during his lifetime even including a poisioning at a beach where I just about lost him, but one thing I do know is that NEVER EVER AGAIN will I through IGNORANCE expose any of my dogs to chemicals on a regular basis or mass chemicals on an annual basis.

Edited by labsrule

The fact is there have been major issues with the drug & your vet would be fully aware if they keep themselves current with products they sell/administer

I'm anti the injection, but I have to say, I don't believe there is any scientific evidence showing major issues with the injection in Australia. Our reps visit us every 6 weeks, my boss goes to listen to specialists talk almost every fortnight, we get the AVA newsletters, The Veterinarian magazine and not yet has there been information given to us about 'major issues'.

I've never seen a reaction to SR-12 and in our last clinic almost all our clients received it at the time of vaccination. I don't think it's fair to say a vet musn't keep up to date with the latest information because they haven't seen or heard of reactions proven to be from the drug.

If you can provide links or references though, and not just of people claiming to have reactions, then I'm more than happy to be proven wrong :thumbsup:

Edited by stormie

but also because I won't 'forget' to do the monthly treatment (it if you lapse the monthly treatment even by a week, you have to retest etc).

no you don't, in fact I only give my dogs heartworm treatment every 6 weeks. I mark it on the calander