Kangaroo Meat For Dogs (and Cats)

jacqui835

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both of mine are on kangaroo meat regularly, both mince from Woolies/Coles and tail bones with chunks of meat. They keep Carl occupied for hours! :laugh:

I am off today to look for these because I know the pet meat "steaks" I am buying in Woollies are packed with preservatives, but I am wondering what I can expect to pay per kilo for kangaroo?

I will be checking out butchers, of course - but haven't been in one for years :angeldevil::confused: (vegetarian).

For the mince or the bones? I buy $3 bags of the roo tails with meat chunks on them from Peto's in Brookvale. The bags are about 2 kilos each. The mince is about $5.00 for 1 kilo?

My dogs and cat love Roo meat, yet the cat will not eat raw chicken necks.

The dogs have had fresh rabbit and LOVED that as well.

Personally, I can't stand the smell of gamey meat, but I can live with the dogs after they have eaten Roo or Rabbit, but NEVER again will I ever feed them fresh goat meat. OMG :angeldevil:

S

Both of mine are on kangaroo meat regularly, both mince from Woolies/Coles and tail bones with chunks of meat. They keep Carl occupied for hours! :laugh:

I am off today to look for these because I know the pet meat "steaks" I am buying in Woollies are packed with preservatives, but I am wondering what I can expect to pay per kilo for kangaroo?

I will be checking out butchers, of course - but haven't been in one for years :angeldevil::confused: (vegetarian).

For the mince or the bones? I buy $3 bags of the roo tails with meat chunks on them from Peto's in Brookvale. The bags are about 2 kilos each. The mince is about $5.00 for 1 kilo?

Thanks for that, Hanna. Right out of my way, but probably worth a special trip. I bought some mince at Woolworths just to try them out on it - $7.85 for a kilo, Heart Fdn approved. I couldn't see any tails; maybe next time.

interesting thread!! i don't mind roo myself but too lean for the girls as a main meat source.... especially during race season!!

anyone know of a good pet mince (just straight beef, chicken carcass etc. minced notign else) in the latrobe valley area??

im yet to find any... and the minced carcasses from the butchers always have added fat + more added and its just gross :(

so for now they get human beef mince from coles and chicken necks until im with my friend when she does a meat run for the dogs

up past cranbourne.......

I have a girl with chronic pancreatitis and she gets mainly roo in her mix and does brilliantly on it.

Casper has had chronic pancreatitis too and is not allowed fatty food. I make them a roo stew which I mix with their low fat kibble and they also love it.

Does anyone know whether roo tails are much fattier than the meat? I cannot feed him any other bones which he used to love so if roo bones are not too fatty I can get some.

I've not read all the comments but my two cats love Roo meat.

I buy the Fussy Cat sections and sometimes human kangaroo meat which I separate into sections and put in the freezer.

Edited by Annie99

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I get my roo meat from Burns Pet Foods in Sydney in 30kg bags. I feed my Ridgeback a combination of this and chicken frames/other raw meaty bones. Our vet said to add some more fatty meat into the mix as he is an active pup and was looking a bit lean.

There are some interesting thoughts on the high quality of roo meat as pet food here:

http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/

I buy the vets all natural meat which is made with roo. You can order online or they have a list of stockists, I have got it a couple of times from petbarn. http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/

As a personal choice stay away from Burns pet foods as they slaughter horses :o

As do most pet slaughter houses.....where do you think your Vets All Natural meat comes from....a slaughter house.

I buy the vets all natural meat which is made with roo. You can order online or they have a list of stockists, I have got it a couple of times from petbarn. http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/

As a personal choice stay away from Burns pet foods as they slaughter horses :o

As do most pet slaughter houses.....where do you think your Vets All Natural meat comes from....a slaughter house.

Just a personal choice, I drive past there most days and see the horses in the paddock. As I said personal choice.