Kangaroo Meat For Dogs (and Cats)

jacqui835

Well the owner of our local pet supplies place loves my dog, and always gives him a treat when we go in. The other day, he gave him a kangaroo fillet steak to try. The dog loved it - like, I've never seen him so excited over food, and this is a dog who has chicken carcasses, lamb meaty bones, fish etc every day. Our new kitten also went spastic for it and so I'm keen to get them some more. Just wondering though, is kangaroo meat good for animals? And I guess the reason I'm really worried is that since having the fresh kangaroo meat, neither the dog nor the cat will touch their dry food, but they become very interested when I go near the fridge as this is where we kept the meat.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is very low in fat but high in protein. My mother nearly starved her Kelpie/Boxer cross by feeding her kangaroo for a while. It was too lean and the weight just plummeted off her. It took months to feed her up enough that she didn't look like a walking skeleton anymore. She's a weird dog, though. Very active and only eats barely enough to keep her ticking over.

I can't stand the smell of it, and since I have two dogs that cannot tolerate it, I don't feed it. It is high in protein but very low fat, too low for some dogs without adding extras to their diet, but excellent for those needing to watch what they eat.

I mixed some roo mince with my dog's dry biscuits and he absolutely loved it, went nuts over it, I just mixed in about 2 tables spoons with his biscuits because he doesn't seem to like just dry biscuits and he was eating like a champ. I have heard that it is better to give dogs than beef mince but obviously not as their only food...

That's great news, I think they would both disown me now if I stopped feeding them kangaroo! This was fresh, never frozen, and it doesn't seem to even smell as strongly as say chicken or beef/lamb so I don't mind it at all. It's just the meat, nothing added. I am in Sydney, and he also gave us a frozen kangaroo tail which the dog devoured. He is a great pet supplies guy, and he knows how to ensure I don't go anywhere else lol.

My allergy dog eats a lot of kangaroo meat and bones, I do also give him lamb and goat just to feed a variety- he is allergic to chicken, beef and wheat. My little cat has now also taken an interest in raw roo meat and so she gets it as a treat now too!

Kaos hates it, It is pretty funny, If she goes and steals Ats food when he has it, she takes a mouth full, does this weird shudder thingy and spits it out! Serves her right for stealing!

Atlas will eat it, but at the moment the cats are off it, i have a heap in the freezer that was for the cats, but looks like it is now Atlas food!!

I'm surprised no one else has already said this...

FARTING. Roo meat makes a lot of dogs I've met fart and it stinks like you wouldn't believe. My dog can munch away on it happily but my bitch, my oath. She gets a taste of it and clears the room. Surely I'm not the only person whose known of this side effect???