Kangaroo Meat For Dogs (and Cats)

jacqui835

I'm surprised no one else has already said this...

FARTING. Roo meat makes a lot of dogs I've met fart and it stinks like you wouldn't believe. My dog can munch away on it happily but my bitch, my oath. She gets a taste of it and clears the room. Surely I'm not the only person whose known of this side effect???

It's funny you say that. The first day we gave it to them was on Saturday, when we got our new kitten. The dog nearly killed us - we're used to stinky farts from him but this was something else. However since then, he has had roo every day but fortunately hasn't done anymore of those farts, so maybe it's something they need to accustom themselves to? If I don't eat lamb for ages and then have some it upsets my stomach because it's a very fatty meat, but if I eat it every week I'm fine. We had to cut back on the eggs though because of farting issues lol it just made sharing the lounge room with the dog unbearable...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have my dog on raw food and I make up half roo half chicken mince patties for his morning meal. I was originally going to do just roo, but it's so lean I decided to add in the chicken. I get a 5kg bag of roo fresh mince for about $20. That with 5kg of chicken mince makes enough patties to last a month. No problems thus far!

I have a girl with chronic pancreatitis and she gets mainly roo in her mix and does brilliantly on it. The others get a mixture of roo and whatever - chicken mince has the highest amount of fat so I only give that to puppies, mostly lamb or beef mince is added to the roo. A couple times a week they will get roo with their dinner also. Roo tail is awesome as well.

I haven't noticed flatulence with the roo - mine get it with eggs or with too much poultry mince though. Eeewwwwww!

Recently my supplier had rabbit mince - just long enough for my lot to get addicted to it, then he couldn't get it any more! :wave:

Very interested in this topic. Does anyone know where I can get kangaroo in Victoria?

Mega Pet Warehouse in Ringwood has Roo tails and Roo mince. Though they have been out of roo tails for a while now :wave:

I'm surprised no one else has already said this...

FARTING. Roo meat makes a lot of dogs I've met fart and it stinks like you wouldn't believe. My dog can munch away on it happily but my bitch, my oath. She gets a taste of it and clears the room. Surely I'm not the only person whose known of this side effect???

My girl gets roo meat nearly every day and has never had smelly farts :eek:

That's great news, I think they would both disown me now if I stopped feeding them kangaroo! This was fresh, never frozen, and it doesn't seem to even smell as strongly as say chicken or beef/lamb so I don't mind it at all. It's just the meat, nothing added. I am in Sydney, and he also gave us a frozen kangaroo tail which the dog devoured. He is a great pet supplies guy, and he knows how to ensure I don't go anywhere else lol.

Can you tell me where, please?

I've been going to the same pet food supplier for years, but he had to retire due to ill health. Since then, I've tried two places who home deliver and another place about an hour's drive away from me. The dogs have enjoyed any of the food. Since then, I've been getting their raw from Woolworths - a pet food product called "Supreme Steaks". For about the first time ever, the dogs are hoing into their food, but their poops are huge, not messy, but it seems to indicate that there is a bit of excessive something or other in the food.

I give them dried kangaroo tails which they loves, so obviously there is something about kangaroo meat that appeals to them.

Roo meat is a bit too lean for cats - they require fat in their diet. And be careful as the preservatives destroy the thiamine in the meat. Thiamine is essential for cats and a cat can die from thiamine deficiency.

It's very difficult to get pet meat without preservatives and most of the places down here tell me that all pet meat has some form of preservative in it. I try to stick to human grade and use the pet meat more as a treat as they love it!

Roo meat is a bit too lean for cats - they require fat in their diet. And be careful as the preservatives destroy the thiamine in the meat. Thiamine is essential for cats and a cat can die from thiamine deficiency.

It's very difficult to get pet meat without preservatives and most of the places down here tell me that all pet meat has some form of preservative in it. I try to stick to human grade and use the pet meat more as a treat as they love it!

We are lucky here in WA as there is an awesome pet supply store here and they dont use presevatives in their food at all.

Oh it's not all he gets don't worry and same for the dog. They just adore it though. And fortunately for us, there is nothing in this meat, it's fresh off the back of a roo lol and we're in Sydney NSW. The owner of the store is not a fan of dog food at all, and knows all about the kinds of things that typically go into it...

Very interested in this topic. Does anyone know where I can get kangaroo in Victoria?

I usually buy it from my local Petstock (no preservatives) but today I foung it at Woolworths in the human meat section (mince, steaks, sausages). 1kg packs for $7.85.I mix it with the VAN'S complete mix. The Roo mince for pets at the supermarket is a few dollars cheaper but has preservatives in it.

If anyone is wanting to know where I get my kangaroo meat from please just send me a message as a couple of people have already done. It hasn't had anything added to it. The store I visit is in Sydney, NSW approx. 20 mins from the city.

Both of mine are on kangaroo meat regularly, both mince from Woolies/Coles and tail bones with chunks of meat. They keep Carl occupied for hours! :laugh:

I am off today to look for these because I know the pet meat "steaks" I am buying in Woollies are packed with preservatives, but I am wondering what I can expect to pay per kilo for kangaroo?

I will be checking out butchers, of course - but haven't been in one for years :laugh::laugh: (vegetarian).