Looking For Some Advise On Right Type Of Dog

adogisforlife

Thanks for all your replys, I really appreciate them and your knowledge of these animals.

I have just been reading about the Brittany's they do sound like they would be great for us.

As for the GP's I think a new improved home for them is in order.

the list so far is

Whippet

shar pei

Brittany

Corgi

and I believe greyhounds are great with kids, a bit bigger than we would like but at least they are a slimmer dog.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all your replys, I really appreciate them and your knowledge of these animals.

I have just been reading about the Brittany's they do sound like they would be great for us.

As for the GP's I think a new improved home for them is in order.

the list so far is

Whippet

shar pei

Brittany

Corgi

and I believe greyhounds are great with kids, a bit bigger than we would like but at least they are a slimmer dog.

Greyhounds can be really great with kids, and are very gentle, but they prefer to spend most of the time sleeping and just being there with the family, rather than being actively played with. They have very little stamina, and are quite likely to be lazier than a ten year old boxer.

Whippets can handle a bit more interaction and playtime. They also tend to be gentle on little kids.

What sort of things do the kids like doing with the boxer and would like to be doing with the new dog? Different breeds enjoy different sorts of activities with kids, and that will depend on the kids.

A GAP tested Greyhound may well be a good match for your older dog and other pets + your kids. ;)

I second that.

They are also portable , as they fold up nice and small :laugh:

You can get them on the smaller side too ;)

We need Greytmate and her folded up grey pic :p

Both my male and female are on the small side for greys - Patch is 27 kgs (small for a boy) and Lilly is 22kgs and very slight. They wouldn't be good for big long walks though. My Patch would put the brakes on and refuse to move when he had had enough (probably about 5 mins). And of course not suitable for offlead walks.

Edited by CBL

A GAP tested Greyhound may well be a good match for your older dog and other pets + your kids. :p

GAP tested?

oops sorry i didn't see all the other replys on the next page :laugh:

Greyhound Adoption Program ;)

Greytmate My DD(13) would like a dog she can take for walks most afternoons (not long ones) and a dog we can take to the dog beach for a swim and to the dog park when we go.

myDS 11 would like a dog to play with in the backyard after school and then cuddle up to when inside watching TV or just having Quiet time.

DS 6 wants a dog he can love

DS 4 wants a dog he can cuddle

DD 1 needs a dog that is going to be gentle-ish with her

My husband wants an obedient dog :laugh:

We all want a dog that will love being with us :p

I want a dog that is not going to be too demanding all day while the kids are at school and will be my company at night when my Husband is working

what about a coolie?

have look in the thread in general discussion about them but if you get a pup from a good breeder you will have a perfect pet (with bit of training of course like all dogs). GP's would need to be secure but coolies are bright enough to know that you would be very displeased if they were harmed.

Also Australian Working Dog Rescue main base is in Cairns, have a look on there website to see if anything takes your fancy.

www.awdri.com.au

if it wasn't for the coat - I would say a shetland sheepdog - is the size you want and will fulfill all the requirements your kids have listed along with being highly intelligent and eager to please - but on a property with lots of grass - you'll spend time getting the bindis out of the fur on their legs. They only need a weekly brush, and they keep themselves clean - but they are going to pick up the prickles on your property.

Maybe others know of breeds that have the same temperament and personality of shelties?

Guest RosieFT

I have a smooth fox terrier and young kids - 5 and 7yr olds now, but youngest was just 3 when we got Rosie. She is perfect, for us, 99% of the time :-) . She is happy to laze about during they day, but if something is going on she has a real zest for life and wants to be included. She will play ball with the kids, hang out with the kids when they play in the garden, and is a real clown to live with :-) . Tough as nails and yet such a soft cuddly dog. She would love to be a lap dog if she could - and does get to be on occasion. Loves swimming in the river, retrieving sticks/balls etc.

She has the most fantastic temperament and is very malleable - in the sense that she may be happily asleep in her bed, snoozing away, but when my daughter has nightmares and just CANNOT sleep on her own, we just pick up Rosie and carry her to my daughter's bed and she will happily stay there. My daughter will want her a certain way around, and cuddling right up to her and however we put her, she will stay. But other than that she is not allowed on beds, and does not try and get up on her own etc.

I am sure nobody has told her she is supposed to be a tough, independed rodent killer ;-) .. she loves nothing more than cuddling with her family BUT the minute something is on, she is up and at em .

That zest for life and always wanting to be in on the action can get a bit tedious - when we are trying to water the garden for example - but she is crate trained and can be put in her crate if we want her out the way. I do agility (very low level stuff!) and is doing really well. I don't think I could win any obedience competitions with her (but that is probably me as much as it is her!) but my criteria for a family dog is that it is great with my kids (and they with her obviously), and is pleasant to live with ie. she will not run out the front door until told, can sit, drop, recall etc.

She was raised with our cat and they get along really well, but i would say she would LOVE to 'play' with a guniea pig... my son would love a GP but i just wouldn't risk it.

Anyway, just wanted to put in a good word for a great family dog - especially if you want a dog with spirit, spunk, fun, character but no aggression (in my experience). ;-)

Anyone have any thoughts on poodles?

I have poodles and a Whippet - and love both.

A well bred Miniature Poodle (a bit bigger than the toys) would thrive in a devoted family home. They love outings, can be great with kids and love a good cuddle. Go for black or brown - most common colours and less maintenance than the paler ones. They do tend to be gentle dogs but love a romp.

Coat wise you don't have to have them in a fru fru clip - my boys have shaved ears and tail. They do need to be brushed and clipped regularly though. They'd also need to be an inside/outside dog - they don't do well isolated from their families.

They're smart as whips and do benefit from some obedience training - as do all dogs. If your kids were in to teaching tricks, they'd love a poodle.

Choose your breeder carefully - a good poodle is a great dog but there are some pretty dodgy ones around.

If taking a dog to the dog park was high on your list of things you'd like to do, I'd drop the SBT and poodles from your list. I dont think either breed is at its best in the free for all that dog parks tend to be.

Edited by poodlefan

Greytmate My DD(13) would like a dog she can take for walks most afternoons (not long ones) and a dog we can take to the dog beach for a swim and to the dog park when we go.

myDS 11 would like a dog to play with in the backyard after school and then cuddle up to when inside watching TV or just having Quiet time.

DS 6 wants a dog he can love

DS 4 wants a dog he can cuddle

DD 1 needs a dog that is going to be gentle-ish with her

My husband wants an obedient dog :laugh:

We all want a dog that will love being with us :laugh:

I want a dog that is not going to be too demanding all day while the kids are at school and will be my company at night when my Husband is working

just an aside (no advice on dog breeds from me) I think whatever dog you bring home is going to have an awesome life with your kids if that is what your family is wanting from the dog :laugh: in fact my two boys want to know if they can come and visit :laugh:

Edited by FionaC

Another option would be a Labrador!

Either a older lab that is settled down (there are plenty in rescue!), or a puppy from a good breeder that will be able to pick the temperament for you.

My 2 boys are both from guide dog lines and they are incredibly calm for labs. Coat is not high level maintenance, though they do shed quite a bit (less with lots of brushing) A few hours of exercise a day (which Im sure they will get with all the kids!!) and a lab will make a great dog!

I prefer bigger dogs around small kids because they are a lot less breakable (the dogs I mean :laugh:) Our dogs are bomb proof so that even when my 5 year old nephew decided it would be funny to smack on of them with a pillow, they just lay there and ignored it.

Plus most labs I know would have no idea what to do with a guinea pig besides lick it :laugh:

Check out the Australian Working Dog Rescue website!!! We've always had kelpies with our kids and think they're just amazing! Our current foster boy "clooney" is the most amazing and gentle dog especially with the kids and is great fun....If you check him out on the site and want any info at all just pm me. :-))

eta heres clooneys pet rescue profile

http://www.petrescue.com.au/view/91513

Edited by ren83

Check out the Australian Working Dog Rescue website!!! We've always had kelpies with our kids and think they're just amazing! Our current foster boy "clooney" is the most amazing and gentle dog especially with the kids and is great fun....If you check him out on the site and want any info at all just pm me. :-))

eta heres clooneys pet rescue profile

http://www.petrescue.com.au/view/91513

He is beautiful but we are looking for a female.. Our boxer doesn't like other male dogs but gets on great with females.

The Cardigan Corgi sounds like a winner for me compared to your needs, I'd just check how they go in NQld as they do have dense coats, even though they are short.

With the Grey, if your daughter has plans of letting it off lead at the beach or park then I'd check your state regulations, its generally illegal to let them off in a public place. You do see them off lead, but you wouldn't want to disappoint the family if you find a law enforcer in your area that is a stickler for this sort of thing.

I've found a good cattle dog about the best kids dog ever :) maybe we have been lucky, but they have been the perfect playmates, protectors, never ever leave your side, trustworthy off lead, very easy to train. etc etc.

We also had Lakeland terriers when the kids were growing up and they were wonderful, not so protective or trustworthy with recall as the ACDs, but the greatest fun ever, just like the foxie mentioned :confused: another big fav of mine. The only thinkg is they would need clipping and the coat may collect grass seeds (but they :confused: don't molt etc. :eek::thanks: ) they are only around 7 to 9kgs and the perfect kiddy size (love the bed....)

I feel any dog you have will be soooooooooooooooooo lucky.xxx