I Need Tougher Balls.

Kaz

I use the high bounce balls, Spalding brand I think. Only cost $3.95 or thereabouts from Target/KMart and last for months. Lots of bright colours, but I have lost more than they have destroyed. My guys only just managed to kill their first one the other week. But i'm not sure if that is more from their chewing or my hitting it with a baseball bat!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

saradale, I love the spalding high bounce balls too. For some reason the dogs seem able to see the yellow ones best against the sand and they much prefer the texture to tennis balls.

They also seem to prefer the particularly satisfying crack they make as they get punctured by a tooth. :laugh:

Yesterday my dane cracked open one belonging to a couple of goldies. Shortly after, a swf ripped my foam rubber ball into microscopic bits probably inspired by the toothmarks left by my dogs. :D

So only one ball left to last me till I get to the shops. :eek:

My dogs are costing me a fortune in balls.

I have one of those ball thrower things and we have a play session every morning on the beach which the dogs love.

I have tried all sorts of balls but the dogs invariably manage to crack them open in a matter of minutes.

The solid rubber balls end up chewed and mangled. I usually go through around 10 to 12 balls a week.

Can anyone recommend a product please

Petstock here has these balls that are the same size as tennis balls but they are harder. My dog who kills all his tennis balls within a day from chomping on them still can't kill these ones. I think they're kramar?

I strong recommend Kramar solid rubber balls - the medium size fits the chuckit. Perry has destroyed most balls it very short order but we have had some Kramar balls for over 5 years and the worst she has been able to do is dent them slightly with her teeth. Best of all they only cost about $5 and come in two sizes. Perry catches them on the run when I throw them a long way and she still has all her teeth. The other one I recommend is a Fresh Minty Breath Ball which I got from Pet Barn 5 years ago - it is bouncier than the Kramar balls but floats - they cost about $10 and after 5 years of daily use and chewing it is still in pretty good condition.

Edited by Perry's Mum

For the FIL's menagerie it's Dunlop Volley hardcourt tennis balls.

They hold up pretty darn well. And cheap for a tube ( sometimes we go by after the tennis club have had there meetings and take what they've lost over the fence too :laugh:

This is what we buy -a tin of 4 from Big W costs about $12 and they are the only balls that Keely doesn't destroy.

I didn't realise Aussie Dog did the smaller size balls - I'll have to get one for Riley :confused:

The large size Aussie dog ball I got for the Scottish Terrorist had mixed results. He didn't destroy the ball at all... but managed to turn my shrubs into standards and bash one of the laundry weatherboards to pieces.... You've been warned! :laugh:

I buy regular tennis balls from Big W. They come in a pack of 27 and cost just under $20. I buy 2-3 bags of these of these at a time because my dogs tend to lose their tennis balls a lot at the park.

http://www.bigw.com.au/sports-leisure/ball...ll-pack-27-pack

After reading this thread I just put through an order for the chuck it medley pack, with a whistling ball, glow in the dark ball and a rubber rebounce ball. I will see how the dogs go with these when they arrive.

Perry's mum, i'm not talking about the kramar ones.. these are different, they're green and blue.

I've only ever seen the huge kramar hard balls :rolleyes:

Perry has a pile of tennis ball sized ones and they are excellent - definitely her favourites. PetBarn will order them if you have one near you - definitely worth a try.

My dog (ACDx) is a great destroyer of things eg red kongs. But she hasn't destroyed the green everlast fun ball. Pele (previously mentioned Bull terrier) did manage to put some extra holes in it but not destroy it. Pele might have killed it eventually though if we'd left it with her.

Unfortunately the everlast fun ball - medium sized one is about the same size as a tennis ball but won't come out of the chuck it arms that I've tried. You can run a bit of rope through it and use that to sling it or use a tennis raquett but that can get ikky when the ball gets wet/slobbery - though it doesn't absorb water the way tennis balls do.

I've also used a slazenger cricket training ball - it's a bit softer than the standard one but I reckon would damage a dog that likes to catch a ball on the full.

Tennis balls - usually get destroyed within the hour. Sometimes I can make them last a whole walk. But I don't pay for them. She finds them at and around our local tennis courts. Same deal with baseballs - anyone want some baseballs?

Can't recommend hockey balls. They go all hard spikey when dogs chew on them. Nasty. They would also be like a brick as someone said if dog caught one that was moving at speed. And they sink.

Now a lacrosse ball - is a tiny bit softer - it might be better. But I don't know what is in the middle of those things.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

K9: We have great reports on the Huck, never had one destroyed yet, but if your dog can chew this up, you get your money back or a new one...

I must get a couple of these!!

Our Cattle Staffy destroys balls in seconds! I am forever buying them. It took her two seconds to deflate the last heavy duty one, then about 15 mins to pull the tug rope out through the middle, after a couple of hours she was running about with the peices in her mouth.

I always laugh when I read this;

DOG RULES

1. If I like it, it's mine.

2. If it's in my mouth, it's mine.

3. If I can take it from you, it's mine.

4. If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.

5. If it's mine, it must never appear to be yours in any way.

6. If I chew it up, all the pieces are mine.

7. If it just looks like mine, it's mine.

8. If I saw it first, it's mine.

9. If you are playing with it and you put it down, it automatically becomes mine.

10. If it's broken, it's yours.