Illegal For Dogs To Wee On Nature Strip Now?

ChocoLabs Dad

My neighbour was in his driveway yesterday when I was just starting to take my two dogs (chocolate labs) on a walk and they decided to pee on his nature strip. His first words to me were "you know there's a new law that dogs need to wee in the gutter" and he then proceeded to give me every reason under the sun why we should keep them off his nature strip, despite my protestations that it was public land and not 'his'.

I did some Googling and I can't find -anything- to suggest that there is a new Victorian law or even a council bylaw in this council region (Boroondara, VIC) that dogs must wee in the gutter.

Has anyone heard anything about this? Everything I read online actually said that owners must make sure their dog waste does NOT end up in the gutter as it will end up polluting storm water (as street drains go to storm water, not sewage).

The problem for my boys is that they are trained to go only on grass as we didn't want them weeing indiscriminately on footpaths etc, so we couldn't make them go in the gutter even if we wanted to -- and as any dog owner knows, you can't MAKE a dog go to the toilet anywhere. I guess we can try to guide them around the neighbour's nature strip so they don't get tempted to go there, but it makes me so angry when people try to claim ownership of public land in front of their house.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as any dog owner knows, you can't MAKE a dog go to the toilet anywhere.

actually you can :eek:

It's just a matter of training them to go ON COMMAND .. and then,when walking, there is no peeing or pooing except where YOU want them to go .

I trained many many dogs to do this, when doing Guide dog training ...as a lot of guide dogs go to work ..and at pee breaks , there is often only a small area in which toileting is possible/permitted.

Must admit- seeing dogs peeing everywhere when walking is a pet hate of mine :laugh:

Edited by persephone

I'd be interested in hearing your method for this.

Maybe you could start another thread just for it.

as any dog owner knows, you can't MAKE a dog go to the toilet anywhere.

actually you can :eek:

It's just a matter of training them to go ON COMMAND .. and then,when walking, there is no peeing or pooing except where YOU want them to go .

I trained many many dogs to do this, when doing Guide dog training ...as a lot of guide dogs go to work ..and at pee breaks , there is often only a small area in which toileting is possible/permitted.

Must admit- seeing dogs peeing everywhere when walking is a pet hate of mine :laugh:

Edited by dwynwen

One can control where their dog will eliminate or not, when out on walks. I choose when the right time for toileting is, and where. I don't like my boy urinating on well maintained nature strips - some people care for their nature strips with a great deal of time and pride and I like to respect that wherever possible. I'd avoid your neighbour's nature strip in the interests of just being neighbourly and avoiding antagonism but I have never heard of there being a law that says dogs are not permitted to soil there.

Edited by Erny

My little one toilets on command but she's allowed to wee wherever she wants on walks :laugh: Our big boy (being a typical boy) pees on everything he sees. We do stop him peeing on letterboxes and pretty flowerbeds.

Anyway, I'd just make sure your dogs don't pee on that particular nature strip again to keep the peace, but it's not a law :eek:

I don't let my Labs wee on other peoples nature strips...I think it's rude to let your dog do it's business, No#1's or 2's on or near someone elses property, especially if the neighbour is maintaining the strip! :laugh:

I always make sure I carry some water incase there is a "No#1 accident" so I can at least water the spot down.

i was just talking to a council guy about this the other day.

he was having a bit of a complain because home owners think they own the nature strip and they don't.

the nature strip is council property, that's why they mow it (if you are lucky) and water the tree on it (if you are doubly lucky)

and also, you can't plant what you want on it without council permission....because its their land

it was a very informative chat :laugh:

:laugh::eek: :D I wonder if your neighbour is the same guy who joined this forum a few years ago just to go off the deepend about dog owners letting their dogs pee on 'his' nature strip. Just tell the cranky old bugger he doesnt own the nature strip and make sure you always pick up after your dogs when they poo (I'm sure you do anyway)

My neighbour was in his driveway yesterday when I was just starting to take my two dogs (chocolate labs) on a walk and they decided to pee on his nature strip. His first words to me were "you know there's a new law that dogs need to wee in the gutter" and he then proceeded to give me every reason under the sun why we should keep them off his nature strip, despite my protestations that it was public land and not 'his'.

I did some Googling and I can't find -anything- to suggest that there is a new Victorian law or even a council bylaw in this council region (Boroondara, VIC) that dogs must wee in the gutter.

Has anyone heard anything about this? Everything I read online actually said that owners must make sure their dog waste does NOT end up in the gutter as it will end up polluting storm water (as street drains go to storm water, not sewage).

The problem for my boys is that they are trained to go only on grass as we didn't want them weeing indiscriminately on footpaths etc, so we couldn't make them go in the gutter even if we wanted to -- and as any dog owner knows, you can't MAKE a dog go to the toilet anywhere. I guess we can try to guide them around the neighbour's nature strip so they don't get tempted to go there, but it makes me so angry when people try to claim ownership of public land in front of their house.

:laugh::eek: :D :(:o ;)

Your neighbour is full of shite....... there is no law...... and it is NOT his land. Its public land for everyone to walk over.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Wot a tossa !!!

Though it is in Victoria - anything is possible . . .

While I don't walk my dogs on the street, I do teach ours commands as it makes it easier when toileting them before going in the ring or when travelling interstate on those potty stops - and you can teach dogs to go and stop on command. Ours is "Go Quick" to go and "Leave" to stop. They learn this like any other command and most are reliable by around 9 months (giving time for bladder control).

:rofl:

what a crock....

OMG! the more stuff like this I read about the more amzed I am about how bloody fantastic, wonderful, incredible, considerate, understanding, giving, helpful... my whole neighbourhood and neighbours are :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I am sooooooooooooooooooo lucky :) xxxxx

he was having a bit of a complain because home owners think they own the nature strip and they don't.

the nature strip is council property, that's why they mow it (if you are lucky) and water the tree on it (if you are doubly lucky)

and also, you can't plant what you want on it without council permission....because its their land

it was a very informative chat :rofl:

In suburban Victoria at least, it is the property owner's responsibility to maintain the nature strip.

it was a very informative chat :rofl:

In suburban Victoria at least, it is the property owner's responsibility to maintain the nature strip.

actually Erny, thinking about it, you might be right ..... i might have a chat to them about that...although there isn't much they could do if the property owner did nothing..

eta mine was full of weeds and i called the council because I wanted to kill the weeds and plant grass.

they sent out the guys and they sprayed the weeds and gave me a big bag of lawn seed....thats how i came to be chatting about it.

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

eta mine was full of weeds and i called the council because I wanted to kill the weeds and plant grass.

they sent out the guys and they sprayed the weeds and gave me a big bag of lawn seed....thats how i came to be chatting about it.

Yeah, and I know that when I wanted to plant mine out with trees, I had to make sure that I only planted trees that were on the Council's "acceptable" list, and there were restrictions on where I could plant (eg distance from one to another). But they would have supplied the trees if I was happy enough for them to choose what tree and their choice depended upon which trees they had in stock at the time.

If by nature strip we are talking about the land in front of someone's house which forms part of your block (which yes I know is owned by council), then council don't mow ours!! I live on a corner block with a larger than average "nature strip" and all mowing and watering must be done by myself (actually, I get my dad to do it :rofl:) but it would be nice if council maintained their own property!! It needs to be done otherwise it drags down the appearance of my own property.

Back to the OP, I think it's just bad manners to let your dog pee/poop on other people's nature strips. I feel bad when my girls go on a footpath :rofl: let alone someone's well maintained patch of grass! As I live on a corner block, I know I have no right to stop people cutting across as it's not my land, but it sure annoys the crap outta me! One guy in particular walks his dog right up and it pees on everything. Grrr!!! I've even seen him let his dog poo on someone's front lawn and didn't even pick it up :rofl: