Silly People Doing Stupid Things? Vent!

Keira&Phoenix

So yesterday afternoon after 6 pm I got in my car with my two dogs to take them to an off leash dog park to have a run around together (yes I have a backyard but I like to take them somewhere different to stimulate the mind and to do some generalized training). I was looking for a park with no other dogs in it as Phoenix is only 4 months and Keira can be a bit overbearing. I parked up under a tree with the windows down a small way (so there was fresh air but Keira could only get her nose out a little bit) at a local park and as you cannot see the park from the street quickly jumped out to have a look to see if there was anyone in the park. As I have walked across the road a lady is walking up the street and I could see her intent almost immediately she was thinking about sticking her hand in to pat Keira. She walks up and lo and behold what does she do, sticks her bloody hand in just as I was about to yell out "Are you a bloody m***n" she walks off. NOW Keira is not at all HA she has never even so much as snapped at a person. She once barked at my partners friend but got over it once she met him (and he was dodgy anyways) but how does this lady know that. For all she knew the dog could have ripped her bloody hand off. And even if Keira has never been HA she may have been feeling threatened etc by the way the lady approached or she could have felt put out by the lady sticking her hand into the car. Either way this lady had absolutely no idea what the dogs reaction would be and had Keira snapped or bitten her she would have screamed bloody murder and Keira and I would have been left to deal with that the rest of our lives, as she could and probably would be declared dangerous after something like that.

Now I know some of you will say you shouldn't have left her in the car etc etc but I was literally out of the car for less than 2 minutes I had no intention of leaving her there for any longer than that, it was after 6 pm so it was cool, I made sure that Keira could not get out of the car and could not even get her whole head of the window and I could see the car the whole time. Anyways that is my vent, I just cannot honestly believe people are so silly as to do something like stick your hand in a car with a strange dog, I would be loath to do that to a dog that I know or even a dog whose handler has said it is ok for me to do that, let alone a random dog that I walk past on the street. I have left Phoenix out as she just sits on the front seat watching me and not worrying about anything else.

What would you have done in this situation? Has this happened to you? Has this happened to you and the worst happened (ie the dog snapped or bitten someone)?

Thanks for reading/listening to my vent.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

I had my Dobermann on the front seat of my ute. I was getting a canopy on but it was happening a week later.

I had the window open much like yours. I hear her go off and rushed back, was a matter of 5 metres away. A bloke said your dog had a go at me.

I asked him what he had done?? ( thinking her response was unusual for a person just walking past) I only wanted to pat her!!!

I said, Have you got bloody rocks in your head, she is a Dobermann, a guarding breed, sitting in the front of HER car and you go and stick you bloody hand through the window??????? What exactly did you think she was going to do. She is a guarding breed for gods sake. The window is barely down enough for you to get your bloody hand through it - for a reason, she will not like someone putting their hand through the window. Do me a favour in future - DO NOT put you hand in anyones window to pat their dog because you will end up getting bitten!

He ended up apologising. I was mad, but shocked that someone would be so stupid, and shocked that my dog had come close to biting him.

I think that some people are just stupid. I bought one of those plastic grills, but after that had my canopy on with that stainless mesh on the windows to stop anyone getting in or her going through it.

I would never try to pat another dog while its in a car. My Stella is protective of the car, and while I don't think she would bite, she does woof a bit if anyone approaches the car. Maybe that lady wasn't very dog savvy. I have had people just come up and pat her, and I have said in the past that they should always ask first as she could be aggressive. She isn't at all, and loves kids especially, but as I tell them, you never know.

Some people just don't know, I suppose. :wave:

Oh good I am not a crazy Nazi dog person haha.

I had my Dobermann on the front seat of my ute. I was getting a canopy on but it was happening a week later.

I had the window open much like yours. I hear her go off and rushed back, was a matter of 5 metres away. A bloke said your dog had a go at me.

I asked him what he had done?? ( thinking her response was unusual for a person just walking past) I only wanted to pat her!!!

I said, Have you got bloody rocks in your head, she is a Dobermann, a guarding breed, sitting in the front of HER car and you go and stick you bloody hand through the window??????? What exactly did you think she was going to do. She is a guarding breed for gods sake. The window is barely down enough for you to get your bloody hand through it - for a reason, she will not like someone putting their hand through the window. Do me a favour in future - DO NOT put you hand in anyones window to pat their dog because you will end up getting bitten!

He ended up apologising. I was mad, but shocked that someone would be so stupid, and shocked that my dog had come close to biting him.

I think that some people are just stupid. I bought one of those plastic grills, but after that had my canopy on with that stainless mesh on the windows to stop anyone getting in or her going through it.

This is exactly what I was worried about happening, glad he got the picture, he will probably never do that again. She was in HER car with Phoenix so she could have become protective. I don't leave them int he car often as I live in QLD so crazy hot, humid weather but I may just invest in a grill just for the odd occasions now.

CrazyDogLady that is exactly my thoughts don't pat a dog in its car without permission. I wish I had managed to yell at her but I had only sucked in the breathe and she was walking away, I WOULD have looked crazy if I yelled at her after she walked away but she as lucky this time and might not be so lucky next time and I feel for the person whose dog may bite her.

Oh I've had it happen not once but four times :eek:

Each time I have been sitting in the car with the dogs (I'm in the front, they are in the back) their back window has been down just a little bit and each time asian tourists have gathered around my car and started patting my dogs threw the window :wave:

They are so lucky my dogs arn't aggressive, so so lucky ;)

I just stopped leaving the back windows down in truck stops and petrol stations as its always at these places it happens!

Edited by Bjelkier

punct ... u ... ation please ...

you cant get within 5 meters of my car due to my bitch anyway so it's not an issue with me. If you're stupid enough to put your hand in then it's your own fault really when the window is down the dog is tethered away from it.

punct ... u ... ation please ...

you cant get within 5 meters of my car due to my bitch anyway so it's not an issue with me. If you're stupid enough to put your hand in then it's your own fault really when the window is down the dog is tethered away from it.

LOL sorry Nekhbet. This was a quick write up. I will edit it shortly.

I guess that is why she wasn't worried Keira wasn't barking on carrying on.

:wave: some people have no common sense at all

I agree some people are just stupid with no common sense.

My oldest is protective of the car if he and the other 3 are in it, and none of mine are HA at all, but if someone stuck thier hand in the window Im sure they would have a go. Mostly when mine are in the car they are in the rear (wagon) and all my windows are left down if I get out for any amount of time. Thankfully I have never been in that situation where someone has tried to do it. I would tell them not to immediatley. However I think with mine they would bark before the hand got near the window.

I wonder if she was feeling the temperature inside the car? Still a bit silly though.

EFS

Yeah someone else said this elsewhere and I should have put it in the original post but she actually saw me park the car she was walking up the street as I parked so she knew it had not been sitting there very long. Also if she was concerned she could have waited to see how long I was going to be rather than doing something silly like sticking a hand in with an unknown dog.

I should have spoken to her anyways re: sticking her hand in and hopefully stop her from ever doing it in the future but I didn't.

tell them you are going to call the cops because they had their hand in your car & you thought they were trying to break in :eek:

I was pulled over once by RBT. After Cop is finished testing me and before he tells me I'm right to drive off, he sees Sheila (my red ACD) secured in the back seat, so he leans his whole arm in the window behind me and roughly pats her on the head saying "D'day Blue!". :wave:

Stupid! Thankfully, all she did was give him a filthy look.

S

tell them you are going to call the cops because they had their hand in your car & you thought they were trying to break in ;)

I was pulled over once by RBT. After Cop is finished testing me and before he tells me I'm right to drive off, he sees Sheila (my red ACD) secured in the back seat, so he leans his whole arm in the window behind me and roughly pats her on the head saying "D'day Blue!". :wave:

S

OMG :eek: I could only imagine how that would have gone had she bitten him! I wonder what a cop would do in that situation, as it is YOUR car really he shouldn't have had his hand in there but I cannot see a police officer being entirely rational about that if he had been bitten.

I was pulled over once for RBT also, Keira just wanted to lick them haha. As I said she is soooooo friendly, she just wants to say hi to people and get pats but when I am not in the car I don't know if she is going to be more protective.

tell them you are going to call the cops because they had their hand in your car & you thought they were trying to break in :eek:

S

Ah, Sheila....my heroine!

And I can tell almost the exact same story about my red ACDX Emily - pulled over by the RBT cops, Em in the back seat. Cop puts his hand on the window sill of the car waiting for me to blow into the thingy - has to withdraw it pretty quickly when he sees and hears a flash of white teeth and deep growl from the back. He was gracious enough to admit that she was very good at her job!!