Tis The Season For A Competition

poodlefan

What is the number one breed of dog owned in the U.S., Canada, and the U.K?

What is the only breed of dog that doesn't bark?

What breed of dog did George Washington own 36 of?

1.Labrador

2.Basenji

3. No idea :laugh:

3 I do know from putting together quizes for the hound club - Foxhound.

RallyValley, I think you should take the next turn.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the number one breed of dog owned in the U.S., Canada, and the U.K?

What is the only breed of dog that doesn't bark?

What breed of dog did George Washington own 36 of?

1.Labrador

2.Basenji

3. No idea :laugh:

3 I do know from putting together quizes for the hound club - Foxhound.

I was going to say American Foxhound??? Washington was a keen dog breeder and wanted to develop a faster hound than the English dogs for American conditions. He crossed his "Virginia Hounds' with French stag hounds but no idea if he went on with it.

How's this for a nice story about how keen a dog person he was.

Washington's affection for dogs is vividly illustrated in an incident that occurred during the Revolutionary War. It was when American forces were trying to contain British General William Howe's troops, who had occupied Philadelphia. During the Battle of Germantown, which was not going well for the Americans, Washington was encamped at Pennibecker's Mill. On October 6, 1777, a little terrier was seen wandering the area between the American and British lines. New York City. It turns out that General Howe's little terrier had somehow gotten loose and had become lost on the battlefield. The dog was identified from its collar, and brought to Washington. His officers suggested that he might want to keep the dog as a sort of trophy which might weaken the morale of the British general. Instead he took the dog into his tent, fed him and had him brushed and cleaned. Then, to the surprise of everyone, Washington ordered a cease fire. The shooting stopped and soldiers on both sides watched as one of Washington's aides formally returned a little dog to the British commander under a flag of truce.
Edited by poodlefan

oh I'm sorry :thumbsup: of course, just know more about working dogs I guess

Tenterfield terriers

I met a lady who lived in Tenterfield about 14 years ago who was working hard to get the breed going

:laugh:

umm a question (actually two)

which was developed first, the c/koolie or the kelpie and what was the name of the first dog to be considered a kelpie?

if you think about it there are quite a lot of australian breeds developed here and all are really awesome dogs :thumbsup:

I think the most surprising to many people would be the Border Collie.

Yep, first registered in the UK but developed as a pure breed in Australia. The first breed standard was written here and our ANKC dogs are recognised by all international registeries (including the English KC) as the dogs that the pure Border Collie breed was developed from. The breed was developed here as a working breed along with the Kelpie and Cattle Dog, to supply our pastoral industry.

The breed was first shown here in about the '30s but not in the UK until 40 years later. Border Collies were not shown much here until about 1980 and it is only over the last 20 years that they have become popular as performance dogs and pets. This means that breeders can now opt for performance/pet homes where puppies will be treated as one of the family, rather than tied up to a 40 gallon drum kennel. This has led to a decline in the number of ANKC registered dogs being used for work. Some rural ANKC breeders still supply farmers in their local areas but the urban Borders tend to go to show, performance and pet homes.

:laugh:

umm a question (actually two)

which was developed first, the c/koolie or the kelpie and what was the name of the first dog to be considered a kelpie?

I don't know enormous amounts about working dogs, but I'll take a stab. My great-grandparents were breeding what they called "German Coolies" in the 1860's. I don't think (will get howled down if I'm wrong!!! :thumbsup: ) that Kelpies were really established as a breed until the 1890's.

I do know the breed took its name from a foundation bitch called Kelpie, so I guess that's the answer to your second question?