Qld Government Collars Dog Breeders

Mila's Mum

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/818813...rs-dog-breeders

A new dog breeder identification system to be introduced next year should help to stamp out dodgy puppy farmers, the RSPCA says.

Queensland Local Government Minister Desley Boyle on Thursday announced that in 2011 breeders must be registered and their ID numbers displayed anywhere puppies are sold.

Breeder's ID numbers must be included in the advertising of puppies for sale and breeding bitches will be microchipped and their details included in the registration and microchipping of every puppy sold.

RSPCA spokesman Michael Beattie told AAP the new government regulations will impact on unscrupulous breeders and make internet dog sellers more accountable.

"It's definitely a step in the right direction," Mr Beattie said.

"It should also clamp down on the internet side of the business.

"We have to educate the public not to buy an animal unless they see the breeder's number.

"You won't be able to sell puppies at the market or through the newspaper unless you have a breeder's number actually listed there."

Ms Boyle said a number of animal welfare groups had been consulted on the new regulations including the RSPCA, the Animal Welfare League and Dogs Queensland.

She said the dog breeder ID regulations were developed to give consumers a pro-welfare choice when buying a dog.

Registration fees, fines and penalties have yet to be determined.

"There are unscrupulous puppy farmers out there who keep animals cooped-up in cramped conditions where they are constantly pregnant or lactating just to keep up with buyer demand," Ms Boyle said in a statement.

"These are ruthless operators who typically put cash ahead of care and buyers are none the wiser. Puppy farms are not registered breeders."

Mr Beattie praised the government for listening to the concerns of dog breeders and says the rules will make it tough for puppy farmers to continue.

"By government standards they have moved reasonably quickly. It basically took a year to come to fruition," Mr Beattie said.

"It's not going to solve the problem overnight, there's big money in breeding dogs, but it will very definitely help and basically make it unprofitable for them (puppy farmers) to keep going."

The new regulations are due to be introduced by mid-2011.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ANKC breeders already pay

membership renewal

prefix maintenance

puppy registration

council registrations for each dog - renewable annually

breeders licence / permit where applicable.

this registration, I presume would need to be renewed annually.

This will make it very difficult for some of our great and mature breeders,who probably breed a couple of littters a year, and are on the pension. They will have to rake up a few hundred more a year when they are already raking up a few hundred they can ill afford.

The cynical side of me suggests that Cap'n Blight has appplied registrations to things no one would ever believe could be registered - so perhaps this is just another money grab, but on the other hand, the $$ would hire a lot of inspectors, which will keep the unemployment figures down!!

And then, of course, there are the people who are doing nothing wrong who will not want "inspectors" tramping around their home.

that is two good reasons not to breedl Much cheaper and easier to buy a pup to show. And most of those mature people would havee no problem getting a pick pup.

the 66,000 pups a year will be down to 50,000 before we know it.

And once again, the public misses out.

I can't see what itt will do for puppy farmers?

this is a video of a disgusting puppy farm. It is fully llicensed by the council/government, and undergoes inspections, which it has passed evry time. i think we are simply driving ethical breeders away, and making more of these.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Openrescue1#p/a/u/2/erWL0v_tsKo

Edited by Jed

I don't quite understand how it will be 'policed'? How will they know that someone who is applying for an ID does not keep their dogs couped up in small pens, pumping out puppies in horrid conditions? How will they know how many pups they sell?

They wont they will pass an inspection on one property and have the dogs on another ,they will look good for the inspection and then do what ever they want.and how will they stop people from buying them in bulk from interstate any way.

Puppy farmers dont care about this - they build bigger and better concrete jungles pay the fees and off they go.

The government cant tell anyone how many puppies they can or cant breed or how many they can sell or where they can sell them.

So what - they may see some who breed lots but how does that stop them?

It doesnt - all it does is make more good breeders say its too hard and walk away and leave an even bigger market to the commercial breeders.

Edited by Steve

• 2 weeks later...

i am a little confused as to what this new law is actually all about - they have left it very non specific but you can guarantee that they know exactly what the plan is otherwise there would of been nothing leaked to the media.

We have bred a couple of litters out of our two purebred labradors over the last several years (they are not registered with papers with QCCC) but all the same are purebred (there grandparent came from registered breeders with papers but we never bothered to register as a breeder or kennel mainly because of the yearly costs and the fact that we weren't going to be having litters every year. We have never gone down the road of showing or trialing our dogs and have them purely as pets and when we use to have an open duck season they went hunting & retrieving with us.

What does this new law mean to us - are they trying to completely stamp out people with purebred dogs that just want to breed the occassional litter and sell them and are they trying for force everyone to become a purebred registered breeder with a kennel prefix because this is what it is sounding like to me.

Of the couple of litters that we have bred and sold the predominant comment to us has been that the average family that is wanting to purchase a family pet, paying $1000 plus just puts them out of the ball park and in this day and age with money for non essential items becoming tighter why should it then be only the well off that can afford the right to purchase a purebred puppy for their family.

I totally understand the price the purebred breeders charge for their puppies and every dollar is well and truly earned with the feeding, worming, microchipping, vaccinations, registration fees, yearly fees to councils etc, the care of the parents of the pups etc etc as we too have thought of becoming registered breeders but because of the red tape and non receptive feelings we have been getting when doing the exercise to try to purchase purebred & registered puppies has left us with the thought is it really worth the trouble.

We just want to breed the occassional litter mostly for our pleasure of raising the puppies then being able to give other loving families the joys of raising a family pet.

I think a call to the Brisbane Council to find out who in fact we need to speak to, to get all the facts is in order tomorrow.

Will keep you posted.

I don't quite understand how it will be 'policed'? How will they know that someone who is applying for an ID does not keep their dogs couped up in small pens, pumping out puppies in horrid conditions? How will they know how many pups they sell?

They wont they will pass an inspection on one property and have the dogs on another ,they will look good for the inspection and then do what ever they want.and how will they stop people from buying them in bulk from interstate any way.

Puppy farmers dont care about this - they build bigger and better concrete jungles pay the fees and off they go.

The government cant tell anyone how many puppies they can or cant breed or how many they can sell or where they can sell them.

It doesnt - all it does is make more good breeders say its too hard and walk away and leave an even bigger market to the commercial breeders.

I couldn't agree more - I am thinking this is just another money making scheme for our broke Queensland government. I think a lot more thought should of been put into this and why were there only basically three bodies talked to about what should be happening. As in most cases the people that are doing the right thing are the ones being penalised and it is not going to stop the puppy mills from selling the pups without being registered.

I couldn't agree more - I am thinking this is just another money making scheme for our broke Queensland government. I think a lot more thought should of been put into this and why were there only basically three bodies talked to about what should be happening. As in most cases the people that are doing the right thing are the ones being penalised and it is not going to stop the puppy mills from selling the pups without being registered.

What do you mean? You are one of the ones doing the wrong thing....people doing the right thing are reg breeders like a friend of mine in Townsville who was forced to move from her house or face the shire coming to seize her dogs.

ANKC breeders already pay

membership renewal

prefix maintenance

puppy registration

council registrations for each dog - renewable annually

breeders licence / permit where applicable.

this registration, I presume would need to be renewed annually.

This will make it very difficult for some of our great and mature breeders,who probably breed a couple of littters a year, and are on the pension. They will have to rake up a few hundred more a year when they are already raking up a few hundred they can ill afford.

The cynical side of me suggests that Cap'n Blight has appplied registrations to things no one would ever believe could be registered - so perhaps this is just another money grab, but on the other hand, the $$ would hire a lot of inspectors, which will keep the unemployment figures down!!

And then, of course, there are the people who are doing nothing wrong who will not want "inspectors" tramping around their home.

that is two good reasons not to breedl Much cheaper and easier to buy a pup to show. And most of those mature people would havee no problem getting a pick pup.

the 66,000 pups a year will be down to 50,000 before we know it.

And once again, the public misses out.

I can't see what itt will do for puppy farmers?

this is a video of a disgusting puppy farm. It is fully llicensed by the council/government, and undergoes inspections, which it has passed evry time. i think we are simply driving ethical breeders away, and making more of these.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Openrescue1#p/a/u/2/erWL0v_tsKo

That is one of the saddest things I have ever seen. I really struggle to understand how people can be like that (must be a little niave). Why is it people can treat animals this poorly and basically get away without a criminal conviction, fine and serving time. If these were humans pumping out babies to be sold to other families there would be a major up roar so why is it different for an animal. Forget the new breeders id and start upping the anti on the fines, convictions and jail time for those that abuse animals and ban every single pet store in Australia from selling animals. Sure we need pet stores to buy supplies for our animals but leave the purchasing of the animal to be done through a registered breeder and this should eliminate a good part of the problem. After watching many an RSPC Animal Rescue show I am gob smacked how lightly the perpetrators of the horrendous abuse of animals have gotten off so lightly. I think we have become too lenient a society in alot of areas when it comes to law enforcement. As they say people are what they are allowed to be.

Dogs Qld has their own accredited breeder program up & running. I think that any registered breeder shaping up for that, should just automatically be granted a license no. With no extra application, no extra fees & with no extra external inspections.

http://www.dogsqueensland.org.au/News.aspx?id=235

And there needs to be public education on the benefits of buying a puppy that comes from a source already given the thumbs up by this registering body. That source has proven it's lived up to ethical guidelines. That's what counts, not just a number.

Edited by mita

Have they actually stated that there will be property inspections before the giving out of 'breeder numbers'???

I was thinking it was more about electronically keeping tabs on how many dogs are being bred by people, to then be able to look at the obviously outrageous numbers.

Eg, The number associated with Breeder A, sold 500 pups in 2011. Hmmm, maybe we should go take a look there.

Well if they aren't going to have property inspections to give out a breeders number then how could they police it and why bother doing it in the first place, it would be meaningless. But even if a property inspection isn't done then you might find council will be your hurdle. What if they require that you have council approval to register and you can't get it? A lot of people are technically over the council limit but they never cause a fuss and do the right thing otherwise, those people would be gone.

Well if they aren't going to have property inspections to give out a breeders number then how could they police it and why bother doing it in the first place, it would be meaningless. But even if a property inspection isn't done then you might find council will be your hurdle. What if they require that you have council approval to register and you can't get it? A lot of people are technically over the council limit but they never cause a fuss and do the right thing otherwise, those people would be gone.

Sorry I'm not getting that particular point. So you're saying if I have 5 dogs, but my council says I'm only allowed to have 2 dogs, I'm going to be unable to register my 5 dogs on my breeder's number??

Umm, yep, if that's the case, fair enough.

I am NOT saying that I agree with current council dog limits. I AM saying if you are the breeder with 3 dogs over your council's limit, then that is not a very smart choice to start with.

efs

Edited by bertie

i am a little confused as to what this new law is actually all about - they have left it very non specific but you can guarantee that they know exactly what the plan is otherwise there would of been nothing leaked to the media.

We have bred a couple of litters out of our two purebred labradors over the last several years (they are not registered with papers with QCCC) but all the same are purebred (there grandparent came from registered breeders with papers but we never bothered to register as a breeder or kennel mainly because of the yearly costs and the fact that we weren't going to be having litters every year. We have never gone down the road of showing or trialing our dogs and have them purely as pets and when we use to have an open duck season they went hunting & retrieving with us.

snip.....

given you say it is costly to become a breeder and that is why you aren't registered, have you paid to have your dogs checked for genetic disease and have you hip and elbow scored your dogs prior to breeding them?

eta what makes you different from a backyard breeder?

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

Sorry I'm not getting that particular point. So you're saying if I have 5 dogs, but my council says I'm only allowed to have 2 dogs, I'm going to be unable to register my 5 dogs on my breeder's number??

Umm, yep, if that's the case, fair enough.

I am NOT saying that I agree with current council dog limits. I AM saying if you are the breeder with 3 dogs over your council's limit, then that is not a very smart choice to start with.

efs

I know, it is one of the things I do have conflicting views about, on one hand rules are rules, but on the other is someone has had no hassle ever with neighbours and their dogs are well cared for and never cause a fuss then I can't see the harm. After all, in some places local council can't tell you how many dogs you can have, it is ok in NSW to have no limit, as long as you cause no trouble with your dogs. The reality is that some good dog breeders do go over a bit on their limits, they don't have enough dogs to warrant buying a property to set up kennels and can't often afford to for what is a small hobby. So we enforce dog limits everywhere, force out small breeders who produce quality puppies and all you have left are commercial dog farms who can afford to comply with increasingly strict and sometimes ridiculous new laws.

I know, it is one of the things I do have conflicting views about, on one hand rules are rules, but on the other is someone has had no hassle ever with neighbours and their dogs are well cared for and never cause a fuss then I can't see the harm. After all, in some places local council can't tell you how many dogs you can have, it is ok in NSW to have no limit, as long as you cause no trouble with your dogs. The reality is that some good dog breeders do go over a bit on their limits, they don't have enough dogs to warrant buying a property to set up kennels and can't often afford to for what is a small hobby. So we enforce dog limits everywhere, force out small breeders who produce quality puppies and all you have left are commercial dog farms who can afford to comply with increasingly strict and sometimes ridiculous new laws.

Ahhh, ok :D

I also see that any expensive regulations would do this. I was hoping if it is just a matter of applying for a breeder's number, that it should be a fairly inexpensive exercise. Annoying, yes, expensive, no.

And those registered with the council simply provide their dog/s rego number & voila!! Here's your breeder's number.

And then go from there when Breeder A's number comes up in conjunction with 500 pups/year.

Yes, probably too simple :thumbsup:

Dogs Qld has their own accredited breeder program up & running. I think that any registered breeder shaping up for that, should just automatically be granted a license no. With no extra application, no extra fees & with no extra external inspections.

http://www.dogsqueensland.org.au/News.aspx?id=235

And there needs to be public education on the benefits of buying a puppy that comes from a source already given the thumbs up by this registering body. That source has proven it's lived up to ethical guidelines. That's what counts, not just a number.

Do you?

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...redited+breeder