Help And Advice For Comet - Urget

Christmas Eve i was expecting a young maremma lad from the brisbane pound. identified as a maremma who had a little sniffle.

This afternoon i meet a young white and honey coloured dog.. he is very cute looks like a maremma x border collie.. BUT i think he may have parvo. ( maybe giardia )he is now in quarantine here. have spoken with my vet and i am seriously pissed off with the whole situation .. he is on antibiotics, panacur and scourban

really anone who knows anything should know that you can have a maremma in any colour as long as it is white!!!!!!!!!

however mr nameless stray is now Comet as he arrived on Christmas eve.. keep your fingers crossed for him I hope he has a stellar life ahead of him

happy Christmas to all

helen

update and help :

Comet is going downhill. I cannot get him to eat anything, he is listless and i think depressed. if he drink water he vomits it up..

i am about to speak with vet again.. but nay suggestions would be appreciated. i really dont want the lad to die

Helen

Edited by dogbesotted

Has he had Baycox? He may have coccidia? Symptoms are similar. Sub cut fluids? Or if not possible, a small and frequent squirts of glucose water into his mouth with a syringe. Scourban should cover everything else, except parvo. Good luck, thinking of you and him. Go Comet

Has he had Baycox? He may have coccidia? Symptoms are similar. Sub cut fluids? Or if not possible, a small and frequent squirts of glucose water into his mouth with a syringe. Scourban should cover everything else, except parvo. Good luck, thinking of you and him. Go Comet

thanks. no he has not had baycox... will be giving him liquids by syringe.. at 30 min intervals. have left message with my vet answering service but have not heard back...

I think that Comet has just given up on trying to survive, When i go to the poen he looks hopeful but then just sighs and lays his head down again... damnation!!!!!!! this is not fair for him he is so so young...

bugger and bugger again.

H

any dog with a massive intestinal problem like that needs to be on a drip NOW and stay on it until he's eating again without being sick from it. Dogs like this cant stomach much even syringed fluids as it just hits their guts and causes pain especially if its not already at body temperature.

any dog with a massive intestinal problem like that needs to be on a drip NOW and stay on it until he's eating again without being sick from it. Dogs like this cant stomach much even syringed fluids as it just hits their guts and causes pain especially if its not already at body temperature.

ok then.. will try to track down an after hours vet.. bloody hard here on boxing day

h

If he cannot tolerate oral fluids the only option is subcut or iv fluids or he will have no chance. He is likely already dehydrated. Is there another vet you can call? to be fair if the public holidays and cost is an issue its kinder to just have him pts now.

My only suggestion in the interim is syringed oral fluids, preferably electrolytes, but very small amounts. Maybe 2mL every 10mins, they can absorb some bucally so small and often optimises the chance of absoption without irritating the stomach. Still, they sometimes tolerate that for a few hours and then do a big water vomit which only increases dehydration. And it's critical to keep track of the amounts given (do not include any given 2 hours before a vomit) so you can report to the vet, and it is almost impossible to adequately rehydrate in this way at this point, its just a stop gap.

Good luck.

comet has been granted his wings.

it was never a matter of money.. it was a matter of finding an available after hours vet in these flood conditions.

i am distressed that a shelter would release a dog that was already showing symptoms of parvo.

now my dogs are a risk

at least comet is now at peace

helen

Edited by dogbesotted

Dogbesotted - I'm really sorry for what you've had to endure. I'm not just talking the pup - that was bad enough (rest in peace, Comet - you were loved and had the comforts of a home at least for a short while ... when you needed them the most). And I'm not just talking the parvo risk - that IS bad enough. I'm also talking the floods. You lot have had a lot to bear with and I hope you manage to find yourself out of the hardships and into some good times soon. Is there anything you need from here?

:thumbsup:

Edited by Erny

So sorry dogbesotted - does the pound have any idea what they might have, so you can take precautions? that is the scary thing. It might not be parvo, and your dogs, being well, may not be at risk.

I had a poodle at home with parvo - I nearly wet myself in fear ... no one got anything. And of course, no one had been vac since 14 months - that was our first test of the new vac protocol. I was excreting house building materials (if you know what I mean)!!

Hope all is well with all the maremma kids.

Run free over the bridge, Comet, gone home at last.

So sorry to hear that.

If it was parvo and your dogs are vaccinated there is little risk surely.

I'm not sure what pound your pup came from but please consider that if every pup showing any sign common to parvo - lack of appetite, nausea, diarrhoea, or vomiting was destroyed instead being released there would be alot pups killed due to minor and treatable gastro. It's always good to ask about recent bowel habits when collecting a pup from the pound.

I'm not sure what pound your pup came from but please consider that if every pup showing any sign common to parvo - lack of appetite, nausea, diarrhoea, or vomiting was destroyed instead being released there would be alot pups killed due to minor and treatable gastro. It's always good to ask about recent bowel habits when collecting a pup from the pound.

If the pound couldn't be certain though, isn't there a blood test that can determine one over the other?

There is a fecal test Erny. But dogs can go from incubating to symptoms very quickly, so often an unsuspecting pound will move out a seemingly healthy dog.

bonny, the danger may not be to the fully vaccinated dogs, but the sick dog has been shedding the virus and now that presents an issue.

I'm sorry you've been through this dogbesotted.

I always assume any pound dog is unvaccinated and possibly either has or is shedding parvo or kennel cough ect...

which only helps if we have full quarrantine facilities - and I know many of us have taken on a pound dog in response to an urgent call & not always able to fully isolate.

fifi

edited for clarity

Edited by fifi

i have learned another life lesson. I was asked to take in this dog as he was scheduled to be PTS and was supposed to be a maremma - which is beside the point actually -- anyway i had beentold that he had a slight runny nose and he arrive with a letter from the vet in charge andf a supply of amoxiclav.. the letter also said to expect some vomiting and diarhea and that this was normal... i feel like i have been somewhat taken for a ride. the compassionate vet at UQ will be contactingthe pound.. she was very very upset about the whole situation. My heart just breaks for Comet... just a young dog and he has been let down by humans..

fortunately Comet had diarhea when he arrive so I immediately isolated him as much as possible and wore overalls and gumboots when with him .. soaked the gumboots ( bleach solution) and took off the overalls and washed my hands in a bleach based solution before reentering my house yard.. hopefully that has been sufficient.

As i stayed with Comet until the end so I needed to disrobe before entering my yard... the dogs looked at me as if i am mad as i dashed thru the gate into the house stark naked... thank god i live rural

H

I shouyld have added thankyou Erny for asking... around here the flooding is minor just cut roads etc making travel diffucult and dangerous. The ground is exceptionally boggy and the goats, sheep and their maremmas are not happy. The house maremmas are happily covered in mud and lounging on the verandah.

helen