Do You Think It Is Cruel /neglectful

Baileys mum

Owners that don't take their dog out for a walk  

196 members have voted

1. 1. Would you consider it cruel/neglectful if a dog owner never took their dog out for a walk

• Yes
    • No
    • No, but only if the owner supplied their dog some other form of excercise/mental stimulation to their dog every day
    • Yes, if the dog was stuck in a back yard all day, with no mental stimulation & no other form of excercise
    • other

I don't walk Perry very often because she does not like it - she cannot see the point of going for a walk purely for the pleasure of going for a walk - going from A to B in order to do something such as buy her an icecream is different. She does get to work sheep on a farm, meet another dog down by the lake, play ball, have a paddle etc. most days and she gets a lot of visitors. She gets a lot more than half an hour a day one on one attention. I think her favourite thing is just being with me, especially if that involves a trip in the car.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine are walked on leash twice a day, seven days a week (except in torrential rain :o ) Most mornings they have a run in the park first and are then walked on the ocean walk, sit at an outdoor cafe with me for a coffee and are then walked back. Beautiful way to start the day. :)

In suburbia, I think walking is great training/mental stimulation, and makes for a fit, calm and healthy dog.

Just a question, and definitely not having a go, but for those who don't walk their dogs often, may I ask why?

ie, why do you chose to throw a ball or frisbee, do some training etc for half an hour or so, rather than going for a half an hour walk?

A few reasons, the main one being too many uncontrolled, badly behaved dogs (and a few similar children) whose owners don't exercise any discipline over their charges. Ziggy is frightened when other dogs he doesn't know just charge up to him and get in his face, and Candy gets cranky with those same dogs...and it happens far too often (all of mine are fine if the other dogs are calm and behave respectfully towards them). More bad experiences than good ones when walking have lead me to stay home for the most part. Cleo doesn't like walking - she's 10 years old and healthy (no arthritis or other physical reason why she shouldn't), but she's never really enjoyed it or wanted to go.

Plus we live in a very hilly area so my knees don't cope all that well. :)

Edited by New Age Outlaw

Just a question, and definitely not having a go, but for those who don't walk their dogs often, may I ask why?

ie, why do you chose to throw a ball or frisbee, do some training etc for half an hour or so, rather than going for a half an hour walk?

Obviously I get that some dogs may have problems which see them unable to be exercised too much, but for those with healthy, young/adult dogs?

I should say that when I refer to walk, I don't mean going out to a dog park for a run around, but I mean an on leash walk around the streets etc.

Hi Stormie, :)

I just prefer my dogs to excercise in the safety of our property,rather than going out in public & having to contend with irresponsible owners with DA dogs.

I still take them out for trips in the car to friends & family, & they also come with us on camping trips / holidays,so they do get exposed to lots of different situations. :o

I believe if you live in Suburbia and your dog is not getting out there everyday to do some form of a job then you are neglecting your dog by not exercising it everyday.

To me exercising a dog is not driving to a dog park and opening a door.

If your dog is uncontrollable on walks then seek the help of someone who can help you.

If you dog is too scared to go out then seek the help of someone who can help you.

If you don't like the area you live in, in regards to stray dogs, then take your dog somewhere else.

There is always a solution. As an owner of a dog aggressive Giant Breed who goes out everyday to exercise their dog I can't for the life of me comprehend the rationale's people try and give.

People make a tonne of excuses.....there are none, get off your lazy bot bot and take your dog for a walk.

If your dog is sick or too old then that's all very understandable.

Edited by sas

My dogs have an acre of fenced garden. It isn't just a flat lawn, it is quite interesting. I also have a lovely couple of park like acres which I take them out into every day for a run and bunny chase.

They are obedience trained every day and go to obedience school twice a week.

About once a month they go sheep herding. We also do the occasional walk to a river or lake. I also take them to a great local cafe.

I can't walk from here as there are some scary dogs around. Guard dogs that have in the past got out. Also no footpaths means you are dodging cars.

I am out in the garden pretty much every day and they seem to enjoy 'helping' me. They even think sitting with me on the veranda is pretty good.

I would like to do more walks for my own fitness mainly.

no, i dont think it is cruel, there are a lot worse things than not walking your dog!

Atlas hardly ever goes for a walk (good timing for this thread, I am just about to take him out today!)

He has sore feet and isnt a walking fan, he also hates the car, so unless he is going to the vet, most of his time is spent at home inside, or out in the yard. Ask anyone who has met him, he is a happy dog and happy to do nothing

I also dont walk kaos a lot, and she is also a happy dog :) She is fine as long as she gets to spend time with me

I dont walk kaos often because honestly, i dont have the time, and when I do, i am usually exhausted and the last thing i want to do is go for a walk. Most days i work 12+ hours, full on days, and when I get home, i have enough trouble getting food for me to eat, let alone taking her for a walk

But, if she NEEDED the walk, then yes, i would take her, if she was a dog that needed it every day i would make myself do it, but as said above, as long as she is with me, she is happy :o

Edited by Teebs

I think it depends on the dog and whether it can be given enough exercise and mental stimulation in some other way on a daily basis. My dogs love going for car rides and having playdates with their dog friends and they are happy and well behaved. I do put a big effort into exposing them to different places, sounds, people, kids, dogs when they are puppies so that isn't an issue for them.

I did used to think they needed walking on a daily basis, but since I've had my dog with health issues that prevent her being able to go walking, I've realised that it's not that important to them.

Obviously I get that some dogs may have problems which see them unable to be exercised too much, but for those with healthy, young/adult dogs?

I should say that when I refer to walk, I don't mean going out to a dog park for a run around, but I mean an on leash walk around the streets etc.

I only walk my dog on leash if I'm taking her some place (e.g., if we're walking to visit a friend). I don't take her walking just for the sake of walking.

This is because walking on a leash does absolutely nothing to tire my dog or myself out. It's therefore a waste of time for us - if I take her for an hours walk, neither she nor I are tired after it, so what have either of us gained by it? I still need to go tire her out so she'll settle. :)

To exercise her I either take her training (tracking mostly, but sometimes airscenting when I can get a willing victim), which tires her out completely. Or if I can't get her out training, I'll sometimes take her for an off leash run so she can really use her muscles (I'll usually either throw the ball using a chuckit, or take her on a series of sprints with me so we both get a real work out). Or occasionally I'll take her to obedience school to do drive work around the other dogs as a distraction.

I do take her hiking, but that's a little different - it's offleash & for hours at a time, so it tires her out nicely.

Edited by Staranais

I voted number 4.... I have dogs on either side of us that do not get walked. Sure, they seem happy - but one is terribly overweight and has a weird personality simply from not having exposure to 'other' things/people and no training to walk on lead (she pulls on lead, so no one bothers with her, it's all too hard) - and the other one would really love regular walks I think, she is always crying at the fence. She is treated well, but being in the same place, day in, day out, with a bit of stimulation every now and then can't be good.

My sisters dog only gets walked once or twice a week at the least, but even that is sufficient to get a dog out of it's home and see the outside world and all it contains.

I think if you live on property though, it's a different story - I don't think they need to get 'walked' everyday when there is space to roam around in. I'm talking about your average suburban dog in your average suburban backyard.

I'm with Danois on this one........definately a fan of Cesar Milan too :)

:o I have not posted in this thread and I'm definitely not a CM fan! :)

Think Kaz meant me - we all know how I feel about Cesar *insert naughty emoticon here*

Oops sorry Danois! Yeah - meant Stormie! the reference to 'migration' gave away the Cesar connection straight away :D

One of my dogs has bilateral hip and elbow dysplasia so he only has outings - no formal walks.

Leash walking really helps the other two as far as keeping them focused and obedient.

Edited by Kaz

I can't walk three dogs at once, although I might be able to if Isaak ever grows a brain. Every now and then I get my husband to come with me and I take two dogs and he takes one, and we do a walk around the village, but it's rural here and lots of dogs on unfenced properties, who come out with hackles raised.

Biking them is better but we can still only take two. I hate leaving one behind.

Older dogs - dont think this should be an excuse not to walk them if they are still interested in going out. There are two that are regulars around teh suburb (or were) first one was an old blue heeler that would be walked at a strolling pace and always had a toy in its mouth - they use to go slowly at the dogs walking pace but would be out and about most days. The other one has an older owner and they stroll along (the dogs gait isnt perfect but looks happy to be out for a stroll) - no idea how far they go but even around the block for an older dog gets them moving.

Our dog is 11 1/2 and she loves her walks and when not restricted by injury (both of us), illness (usually me getting cold/flu), heavy rain or extreme heat we try to gt out there each day. Does me good and does her good - you notice the dog stiffening up a bit if she doesnt get walked for a few days (she gets a steady pace trotting on the lead then off lead at the park - running around in a burst when driven to the park when thinking shes a lot younger also results in the dog coming up lame on occasion).

While living on acreage is pleasant for a dog, I don't believe that living on a large property is a substitute for accompanied exercise. I know plenty of people who live on acreage with dogs and in some cases the dogs are overweight and unfit and bored, because unless you have a boundary guardian like an anatolian shepherd, very, very few dogs will take themselves off solo away from your house and head off into the depths of your acreage for some exercise.

Dogs are social - so while leaving them in a postage-stamp yard with no input all day is obviously bad for the dog, I believe leaving them with no input on your 2 or 20 or 200 acre property is equally bad for the dog. In every case I know of dogs on a large property, they hang near the house unless someone is working on that property, in which case they tag along, get some exercise, head for a swim in the dam or whatever.

I have a beef with a relative of DH who criticises my dog ownership because I work 40 hours a week. For the 40 hours I work, Gus is on his own in his run with food, water, and toys - and usually something he can destroy like a pizza box or an old towel or something he can pull to shreds if he's frustrated. The rest of the week he's either indoors with me, sleeping in my room, or has the run of the full yard for a couple of hours if I've to go to the shops. I walk him every other day, but not daily - but when I do walk him I discovered a nice bushwalk near my house, with a public lake where he can swim paddle and bite the water. :mad I walk him for between 45 mins and an hour (he's only 8 months now).

The relative has two JRTs and lives on a one-acre property, so the dogs have about a half acre of very developed garden and live on the back deck. They are never indoors. They are never taken for a walk. They have no toys. Days will often pass where the most human interaction they have is about one hour per day, encompassing the half hour in the morning outside to feed them and the half hour in the evening it takes to do similar (feed them, water them, let the chickens in and out while the dogs zip about the yard). I would estimate there are days every week where the most interaction they have is the time it takes someone to top up their dry food bowl. However their owner believes her dogs are better cared for than my guy, because there are two of them and they have each other for company.

:eek:

I know my set up isn't ideal, but I think I'm doing my best and my pup isn't suffering for it!

I have two dogs and find this thread really interesting. My small Bichon frise loves walking an just over an hour daily Ensures he settles easily of a night. If he misses his walks my house turns into a nightmare. Chewing barking pulling at your leg and darting between you everywhere u walk. My English mastiff wont walk. His healthy and not at all overweight but as a pup at 16weeks was attacked by a dog aggressive Rottweiler on his first walk. His ok to go into the car and loves swimming at the dog beach but never leaves within a metre of my partner or I. I just simply can't get him out of the street to walk. It won't happen and dragging an 80kg dog up a hill doesn't work well either especially when his crying and barking. We try to get to the lake or beach weekly with him and he comes to the farmers market every second weekend. But his quite happy sleeping on his bed and protecting the house not walking doesn't seem to have a negative effect on him anyway. He sits shakes drops waits and walks fine on a lead anywhere out of my street and gets along with dogs of all sizes I don't see a problem??

Zizzi, just wondering if you ever walk your mastiff and bichon at the same time?

I've had a couple of foster dogs that were terrified of walking but if I had another couple of dogs along, they seemed to get the hang of it

pretty quickly.

I do sometimes when my husband comes or I can go alone but a 5kg dog and an 80kg dog (his only 18months) either side of a pram when his a bit scared and skittish and still teenage silly. There are to Many uncontrolled dogs around here for me to trust him when his like that. His fine at markets and loves people and loves Swimming but I just can't trust that I'd be able to help if a dog ran at him and I think part of the problem is I am as scared as him. It took weeks and weeks and he had drains through his whole body and was tube fed as the Rottweiler went through his nose and down through the roof of his mouth and crushed his palette. I just can't trust now that his bigger and stronger that I'd be able to help him. I don't expect he would be nasty at all but I jus don't know how he will react or how I could handle keeping him my small dog and my baby safe all at once.