Rubber Back Vet Bed - Pee Sits On Top!

SwaY

I have several pieces of Rubber Back Vet Bed, I don't like it. Maybe im doing something wrong?

The pee sits on top and does not drain through, They have all been washed 20+ times and every piece has the same problem.

The rubber is peeling and gets mushed into the plush pile and you have to pull it all off by hand, reminds me of grated cheese!

I have washed some pieces on cold wash, others on warm - same problem.

These pieces are only 4 weeks old.

Is it just more or do others have the same problem?

I have previously used 100% woolen carpet and love it!

Any liquid drains straight through to the paper underneath.

Down side is you have to gurney it clean and can take a while to dry.

I have several pieces of Rubber Back Vet Bed, I don't like it. Maybe im doing something wrong?

The pee sits on top and does not drain through, They have all been washed 20+ times and every piece has the same problem.

The rubber is peeling and gets mushed into the plush pile and you have to pull it all off by hand, reminds me of grated cheese!

I have washed some pieces on cold wash, others on warm - same problem.

These pieces are only 4 weeks old.

Is it just more or do others have the same problem?

I have previously used 100% woolen carpet and love it!

Any liquid drains straight through to the paper underneath.

Down side is you have to gurney it clean and can take a while to dry.

We are using that type at present but Rosie kept digging it after the puppies were born ( as they do) and the white rubber was flaking off everywhere. We would have to pick out the pieces all the time as we worried the puppies may inhale or swallow some. Last night I ordered the normal type without rubber backing.

I have since cut it in half for the whelping box so that paper is exposed at one end and Rosie can dig that up. I don't think I will buy that type again.

I bought a piece of the rubber-backed vet bed just over a month ago. I don't have the problem you describe with pee sitting on top, it drains straight through - but I do have bits of rubber peeling off the backing. It's only been through the washing machine maybe half a dozen times. I'm going to stick with the green-backed stuff from now on.

Stick with the ordinary green backed stuff. If you need to to stay put, perhaps try stick on velcro at the corners (one on the back of the fleece and one on the bottom of the box or crate). Marine carpet is also a handy box or crate liner.

I tend to keep the rubber back ones for the crates, use the ordinary vetbed for pups. sometimes the rubber does ball off a little for the first few washes but i find as it ages, that stops.

I've not seen pee sit ontop of the vetbed, although it would find it difficult to drain through a rubber base!

I've not seen pee sit ontop of the vetbed, although it would find it difficult to drain through a rubber base!

The bottom has strips of rubber with gaps of normal vetbed between them so it can drain.

Problem is it doesn't even get to the bottom of the plush, just sits on top!

aeb6b923.jpg

I've not had that problem with any vetbed I have used, once the rubber backed ones are well used, they drain through to the paper underneath, but even newer ones that have been used haven't had pee sit on the top.

Try brushing the vet bed with a slicker brush to break up the 'fur' and see if it will then drain better.

Try brushing the vet bed with a slicker brush to break up the 'fur' and see if it will then drain better.

Tried that but with a wide tooth comb.

What have you washed them with? Was there any fabric softener used?

No fabric softener, just normal washing powder.

If you look close and see the little white flecks, they are bits of the rubber backing.

I must have been lucky :) This is my 3rd litter that I have used mine for and still really good. I only wash it in cold water & don't put it in the drier.

Same, mine is still going strong in crates, the trailer etc after being used for litters almost 2 years ago. Didn't find the pee sat on top or the rubber came off.

I have rubber backed - the rubber does tend to flake, but not excessivly.

I was mine by laying it on the concrete and hosing it off. sprinkle on some washing liquid, hose to get it all suddsy, leave it for 5 minutes (i need a coffee break by then loL) and then hose it off wel. Hang it over the fence and its dry in 10 minutes.

Mine drains well, i dont get pee on the top.

Perhaps you got a weird batch Sway?

I have excess of both - love the stuff. Haven't had an issue with the rubberback with either wee or the rubber. I wash in cold water with normal wash powder & bleach and have put in dryer in winter - still no issue at all. Only have one with a bit of rubber off but that was a dogs doing no the drybed.

I don't like the rubberback in the whelping box though - I find it doesn't conduct the heat evenly through it like the green backed does. So rubberback now in crates & trailer on waterproof mats and greenback for babies / box.

I was specifically told by the vendor to use the standard as that is the one for whelping boxes and that the rubber back is more for bedding in areas of slippage such as in pens and crates etc. I was told it was designed for use on polished boards etc.

I have seen many others with rubber back that has also flaked with time.