Endurance Test 2011 Thread

Guest CaptainCourageous

Sorry CC!! I was the other person with the GSD today :) Pity we didn't realise you were coming to see us as we were leaving, I would have loved to asked where the actual track went for the ET next weekend. Nevermind, it was good to do a few laps and let the dogs get their sniffing out of the way!

'tis a shame. We were travelling in opposite directions so I couldn't talk long without messing up the practice. You could have done a real circuit of the route.

I think the main points are:

- be ready for those direction changes on the narrow footbridge

- be ready to get your dog through the pedestrain gateways / bollards, knowing which side you will use and whether your dog will be on the same side as you

- watch our for new loose gravel

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My bitch can be reactive with strange dogs, and she was unsettled with the dogs we had rushing us which is why we went opposite to you CC - just wanted to keep her calm. We'll aim to get there very early next weekend so she has time to take it all in and as you say, hopefully the big group will protect us!

Oh im sorry!!!! Didn't relise, we wern't being snobs on purpose, i promise!! :-)

So what happens next weekend when we encounter all the fantastic dog owners and their off lead dogs? Will someone be telling them to put their dogs on leads or do we have the honor of doing that?

Hi tommyspazz,

the club will have lots of stewards and marshalls over the course. Also your judge will be ever watchful for stray people and dogs.

M

We had a problem with an off lead dog yesterday riding around the footy grounds, the little thing came out of no where and rushed us l ended up falling off and Hamish took off and stood about 100m away waiting for the nasty dog to be collected, when the owner got to us he laughed and said his dog was not chasing Hamish he was after the wheels of my bike :mad

Some people just don't get it! :banghead:

Good luck to all entered at GSDCV next Saturday.

Looking forward to putting faces to names :)

M

Guest CaptainCourageous

I had a strange day today. When I went past one of those (general public's) dogs at Cherry Lake a breeze gust blew the cotton lead under my descending pedalling left foot - feel sorry for Jessica who took it all in her stride as her head got tugged down. Half way through NODC puppy class this morning I let my pup Sexy Lexie stand behind a new handler - he stepped backwards raising his sneaker heel and copped her one in the jaw. I comforted Lexie and he probably never knew anything about it. Early in the class a feral sticking up for his rights to use an off-lead park to let three small dogs disrupt an Obedience Club's puppy class went past a couple of times. I got involved in asking him to control his dog to which I got an expected retort. I think he may be a regular nuisance.

So for every contingency as to what distractions you may encounter in an ET, I guess the answer is be at the ready for anything.

CC

Hooray!!! We had 8 people show up on Saturday and everyone passed. There was one woman with a doberman that seemed to enjoy sniffing everything. I was worried she was going to get pulled off!! I wound up running the whole thing somehow. I'm paying for it today. My legs are killing me! I kept up a pretty decent pace for most of it, but as OSoSwift will tell you (she was riding behind me for the last leg), I really started to drop off at the end. According to my watch, it was a bit faster than 10km/h too! We had nice, soft rain during the first leg which helped keep everything cool, and it literally started belting down just after we made it back to the club house at the end. Very nicely timed! With any luck, Pippa will pull off her JD title this coming weekend too. What a star.

Are you guys just going to be doing bog laps of the GSDA grounds?! Couldn't think of anything more boring :o At least at the old location, there would have been scenery! Does anyone know why the location was changed? I think that is a huge step in the wrong direction for the ET if you guys are indeed just doing it around their grounds.

Anyway, best of luck to all the WA competitors tomorrow! I'm sure you'll all do great :D

Yeah, I think it wound up being 26.5 laps?? I didn't mind it at all to be honest. I found it a bit less mentally taxing counting laps than counting kilometers :p I almost seemed shorter some how.

We did it, he didn't pant, cruised it in and his heart rate coming in from his last leg was 85, not bad I thought. He is busy scmoozing and working the room at my SIL while I am resting my weary knees! Tomorrow a CCD attempt!

I didn't even think to check Pippas heart rate at the end. How did Sunday go?

We had a problem with an off lead dog yesterday riding around the footy grounds, the little thing came out of no where and rushed us l ended up falling off and Hamish took off and stood about 100m away waiting for the nasty dog to be collected, when the owner got to us he laughed and said his dog was not chasing Hamish he was after the wheels of my bike :mad

Wow. That's really nasty. People can be real a***holes. I don't know anyone would think that's ok :/ Hope you're doing ok.

Hope you and Hamish are okay- what a horrible person!

N.M.E - I am totally in awe you ran the whole thing!! I was more worried about getting to close to you and upsetting Pippa or putting her off.

I thought the Dobe lady may get pulled off as well.

Lewis's heart rate - resting at home - is around 40, so I would expect it to be fairly low. The lady scribing kept double checking what the vet was telling her.

WELL DONE to those in WA whom passed.

Just a question for those attending the one at Altona this Saturday and have a dog smaller than a Daly.

How many k's are you doing now and is that every day?

I am getting concerned that CC may not be doing enough k's every day in his training sessions.

Thanks

BB

Yes - congrats on the WA passes - and OSS on the obedience too - well worth the trip then :)

CC - I'm no expert, but I wouldn't be worried too much. How much are you doing? Between weather, short days, and work and other commitments, I'm struggling to get out once a week - but it was like that a few years ago when I did ET with my BCs. I try to get in about 6-8km at ET speed or a bit more each time I do get out - was only 6 yesterday evening - ran out of light. And I probably wouldn't be riding the day or two before the test. Abbiestar will hopefully be along before too long with some expert advice.

I did get my bike serviced yesterday - so one thing less to do. Will take the KMart special in for a service too, just for peace of mind, to have a back up. Our test is in just over a fortnight.

l have a cocker spaniel and will be doing the GSDCV's ET on Saturday our training varies we generally do 6-8 kms every second day some days we only manage 5-6 depending on the weather we do a 3-5 km walk every 2 day off. We done 7 km's on Monday Tuesday was a day off today 8 km's tomorrow will be his day off and a little 3km walk on Friday before leaving.

Edited by Sir Sniffalot

With my Border Collie, we did a lot less training than we planned :p In the 2 weeks leading up to the event, we did 2 8km runs (at a bit over 10km/h), and a 6km bike ride (faster) with at least 48 hours between sessions. I just assumed it was the same for dogs as it was for people with respect to the rest. Mind you, this is on top of regular Agility training. Also if you're competing on a Saturday, I'd make Wednesday your last session. The extra days rest does wonders.

Best of luck to everyone on Saturday!! Have fun with it :)

Also if you're competing on a Saturday, I'd make Wednesday your last session. The extra days rest does wonders.

Thats an interesting point NME. We did 12km today, which is 2 laps of the lake in Ballarat, and I'd planned on doing 1 lap tomorrow too. Maybe we'll go for a walk instead :)

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker - first time poster......

My Jack Russell passed the ET in Mackay, North Queensland last Sunday. We were doing anywhere between 6 and 10km's most days and in the 2 weeks leading up to the ET we did 8-10km's every second day. The last 3 days before the ET we only went for a walk as I was stressing that something might happen at the last minute (like a pad injury or lameness). I didn't sleep much the night before due to worry but after it was over I realised my boy was more than fit enough for it.

Good luck to everyone.

We did it, he didn't pant, cruised it in and his heart rate coming in from his last leg was 85, not bad I thought. He is busy scmoozing and working the room at my SIL while I am resting my weary knees! Tomorrow a CCD attempt!

Yeah well done!!!!! :) so very happy for you!!!

Well done to all who obtained their ET this weekend, ESP those who ran :worship: not in a million years would I run it lol

Good luck to everyone this weened at Altona, hope the weather is kind to you

Hi Everyone,

I am sensing a lot of jitters about the ET coming up at Altona. Remember to relax and have fun at the test. I have been reading with interest about all the effort and training you have been doing to prepare yourselves and your dogs for the ET. Now, it is time to take a deep breath, relax and see what happens on the day. Your dogs are obviously fit and healthy otherwise you would not be entering. If you have been putting the training in at the levels you have been discussing on this thread, then I believe your dogs are more than ready.

As your judge at this ET, I see it as part of my role to help you all pass. I am not looking to fail anybody. If your dogs keep up, if they do not pull or lag, and if the vets deem them fit to continue, then you will pass.

By all means rest your dogs the day before the test, and it is my opinion that they not be fed on the morning of the test. Just make sure that you bring water and food for them for after the test.

Take them for a little walk or run before heading out to Altona. (Even just for them to empty bladders and bowels).

Bring a poo bag! You will be required to pick up after your dogs. No pick up - No Pass! :)

The weather reports for Saturday are kind. Sun, partial cloud, a top of 16 degrees, No Rain.

It will be great day.

Make sure you introduce yourselves. It will be great to put faces to names.

Good luck to all.

M

Even though we have done our ET last month & passed, I have still kept up the bike riding, weather permitting :eek: Orlando dose not care he loves it :laugh:

You will be all set for next year's ET season then! Or even another ET in September in Canberra!

M