Endurance Test 2011 Thread

Zenith very helpful and interesting.

I did something similar but increased it to a longer distance more quickly as my dog was still running around like a loonie after we had gone the 2 to 3 kms.

We are now doing 7km bike ride and a 3 to 4 km walk at least every second day, and sometimes two days in a row, but the bike riding bit on the second day is generally 3 to 4 kms.

So out of 7 days we would have 4 days of bike rides and 5 to 6 of walks of 3 to 7kms.

We also live on acerage so eveytime they are outside they are trotting, running and zooming around in 5 acres.

A Pap doing the ET would be the definition of cute!

RS I think of it as fit for purpose. If I only did ET type of training I wouldn't expect them to hold their frame easily and for any length of time doing obedience as those muscles would not be fit to be used in that way. Once they are trained up and fitter they do it quite easily, same with your girls and the distance thing.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey OSS "A Pap doing the ET would be the definition of cute!" :laugh: Dont you mean "A major achievement" for the littlies, once we get her through there will be a celebration party happening. oh dont worry I will let everybody on Dolf know about it

I feel bad reading how many k's everybody is walking, in a way cause I don't walk much & when I do its not far as I do have a medical cond, my doc's have said if I want to exersice riding a bike would be better for me :)

Most definately a major achievement as well. I just had this very cute picture of a Pap strutting along like they owned the joint :)

You can do the exercise you do, if you can't do much walking then don't stress, I walk because I can and don't have any medical issues. YOu are doing a great job just the way youa re going :D

Most definately a major achievement as well. I just had this very cute picture of a Pap strutting along like they owned the joint :)

You can do the exercise you do, if you can't do much walking then don't stress, I walk because I can and don't have any medical issues. YOu are doing a great job just the way youa re going :D

Thank you OSS for your positive words makes me feel better :D

I am going to try & get some one to take a pic of Malika strutting along side the bike so I can put up here :)

Not coming from an ET background (so feel free to ignore because I've never been in or completed an ET), but from a fitness/competition background, since you have plenty of time until you need to complete the ET, I would concentrate on base training. Base training is about completing 'easy' miles, and building distance at a relatively easy pace so that you build endurance. Then closer to the trial/competition you begin a training program specific for that event (interval training, steep hill work etc). I also work on implementing an easy day, medium day and hard day into each training week. I work on a goal distance for each week, and that is my hard day.

So for example say you work on a 4 week training cycle, with 3 training sessions per week (Goal of 3.5kms):

Wk1 Day1: 2km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk1 Day2: 1km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk1 Day3: 3km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk 2 might repeat depending on your goals and assessment of how your dogs have coped.

Wk2 Day1: 2km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk2 Day2: 1km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk2 Day3: 3km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk3 Day1: 2.5km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk3 Day2: 1.5km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk3 Day3: 3.5km (@6-7km/hr)

Then as I count Wk 4 as the 'rest' week, I would repeat Wk 1

Wk4 Day1: 2km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk4 Day2: 1km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk4 Day3: 3km (@6-7km/hr)

Next 4 week cycle (Goal of 4kms):

Wk5 Day1: 2.5km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk5 Day2: 1.5km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk5 Day3: 3.5km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk6 Day1: 2.5km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk6 Day2: 1.5km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk6 Day3: 3.5km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk7 Day1: 3.0km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk7 Day2: 2.0km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk7 Day3: 4.0km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk8 Day1: 2.5km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk8 Day2: 1.5km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk8 Day3: 3.5km (@6-7km/hr)

Next 4 week cycle (Goal of 4.5kms):

Wk9 Day1: 3.0km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk9 Day2: 2.0km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk9 Day3: 4.0km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk10 Day1: 3.0km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk10 Day2: 2.0km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk10 Day3: 4.0km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk11 Day1: 3.5km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk11 Day2: 2.5km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk11 Day3: 4.5km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk12 Day1: 3.0km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk12 Day2: 2.0km (@6-7km/hr)

Wk12 Day3: 4.0km (@6-7km/hr)

Next 4 week cycle:

You may be find you may be able to increase speed slightly as fitness has increased so you could do 7-8km/hr, but I would repeat the previous 4 week cycle program, and then think about increasing distance the next cycle if the dog copes ok.

NB. Sometimes though you may not be ready to do more distance the next cycle, so just repeat the last one, or if really struggling, drop back another 4 week cycle and build from there.

I also make sure I walk my dog before and after his rides, to warm up and cool down. Because my dog is relatively fit and very energetic I have been training 7 days per week, I do one medium distance, one short, one long, one short, one medium, one short etc etc building the long distance each week. I am trying my hardest to stay between 10-12km/hr (he'd rather travel faster), so far he's coping very well.

Then working up to 12 weeks out from the ET I will do more interval training, going from 10-12km/hr up to 18km/hr, then back to 5kms per hour to rest/get breath back, then another fast interval.

Again as I've not done an ET before I'm sure the more experienced ET'ers may have better advice for you :)

Hi Zenith,

your advice is pretty good. It may also look a bit daunting to beginners starting out with an aim to achieve an ET, but it makes a lot of sense.

Whether you choose to have a regimented training pattern, or just at your own pace build up speed and distance, it is very important to start of with small achievable goals and build on them.

Happy training to all!

M

I just took Malika (our Papillon) out for her bike run, :thumbsup: I think we did well this morning,we covered 3k at a speed of 9.5 - 10k's, she kept the pace well just broke a couple of times. Yes I did push her a little just to see how Malika would go, she pulled up great.

What do you think Abbistar????.

:eek: came back to a whinging whinning whippet, all because I left him home :eek:

I think you are doing a great job. Slow and steady wins the race! Build her up slowly and I am sure you will do well at the ET.

M

vet visit done :thumbsup: both Orlando & Malika have been given the all clear, our vet thinks our guys are in great shape, pads in good condition & he thinks Malika may have a chance at competing in ET at Sale if we keep up the pace :cooldance: me I think I will keep an open mind & I will take your advice Abbiestar "slow & steady wins the race" :thumbsup:

We are doing really well. Jett had a few days off last week due to me having prior commitments, but we did 6.5km Sunday afternoon and another 6.5km yesterday average speed was 13.5kmph. She is having an absolute ball. Me .... I dread back onto the gravel and grass after the nice smooth concrete paths *LOL*, I think I will have to invest in padded bike shorts, my butt is not impressed with the bike seat (its gel but still hurts after a while). Today we are having a rest day and we are back into it tomorrow, Friday and Sunday - sticking around the 6.5-7km then mid next week I will do 1 x 8km run and continue with the 6.5-7km runs. Jett is enjoying the lectade, I have been making sure that I give this to her daily.

Question.... with elite athletes, prior to competing they will generally load up 2 days prior to an event on carbs such as rice and pasta, is this the same for dogs?

Murve, I will be at KCC Park on Monday morning around 9.30ish for a ride with another person and her dog (also a rottweiler), you are more than welcome to come along :)

We are doing really well. Jett had a few days off last week due to me having prior commitments, but we did 6.5km Sunday afternoon and another 6.5km yesterday average speed was 13.5kmph. She is having an absolute ball. Me .... I dread back onto the gravel and grass after the nice smooth concrete paths *LOL*, I think I will have to invest in padded bike shorts, my butt is not impressed with the bike seat (its gel but still hurts after a while). Today we are having a rest day and we are back into it tomorrow, Friday and Sunday - sticking around the 6.5-7km then mid next week I will do 1 x 8km run and continue with the 6.5-7km runs. Jett is enjoying the lectade, I have been making sure that I give this to her daily.

Question.... with elite athletes, prior to competing they will generally load up 2 days prior to an event on carbs such as rice and pasta, is this the same for dogs?

Murve, I will be at KCC Park on Monday morning around 9.30ish for a ride with another person and her dog (also a rottweiler), you are more than welcome to come along :)

Thank you for the offer of doing a group ride :thumbsup: Ok count Orlando & me in :D me I like the gravel, not so keen on grass :( silly question where did you get the Lectade???

just asking cause I might start giving lectade to Malika, it might give her an extra boost :D

It might get those gorgeous little legs pumping flat out!!

I told my friend that a Pap was training for the ET....her response - aww how cute - see it isn't only me :D

Trina how do you give it to your doga nd how often?

As a drink after the training run, with food each day etc???

i think you can get Lectade from vets too :)

Thank you TrinaJ :D I will give my vets a call in the morning

Am looking forward to Monday, having a couple more people to ride with :laugh:

just asking cause I might start giving lectade to Malika, it might give her an extra boost :D

It might get those gorgeous little legs pumping flat out!!

I told my friend that a Pap was training for the ET....her response - aww how cute - see it isn't only me :D

Trina how do you give it to your doga nd how often?

As a drink after the training run, with food each day etc???

:rofl: love it, might have to try & get some one to video tape us & put it up here :laugh: