Endurance Test 2011 Thread

Took Hamish out for 8 km's today, just went out to bring him inside for the night and noticed he is lame :( , hope it's nothing serious, just my luck it would be and we will miss the next few weekends of shows and the ET.

Oh Buggar :( :( :( I feel for you, all that work & now pulls up lame, which ET were going to participate???

Have entered GSDCV later this month :(

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Took Hamish out for 8 km's today, just went out to bring him inside for the night and noticed he is lame :( , hope it's nothing serious, just my luck it would be and we will miss the next few weekends of shows and the ET.

Oh Buggar :( :( :( I feel for you, all that work & now pulls up lame, which ET were going to participate???

Have entered GSDCV later this month :(

Oh cool :) will be hoping you & TrinaJ don't get Ballot out if there are toooo many enteries :( fingers & paws crossed for you guys

After my wonderful weekend with my obedience (not) dog at Newcastle. I am back to walking her, couple more walks and I will be able to get the bike back out.

Congratulations to TerraNik on her 2 passes in CCD, with her Finnish Lapphund. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks!! It was great to meet you!

congrats on your pass murve.

i have definately decided to wait to do kelaris not that i have a bike at the moment lol but i was in the ring 7 times today and by golly wasn't i stuffed afterwards so baby first before et training lol

emery, I am not sure if you are aware that Kelari has to be 2 years old before you can enter her into an Endurance Trial, from memory she has only just turned 1.

Edited by TrinaJ

After some seriouse consideration & advise, we have dicided to put Malika through her ET next year, even if she ready for Sale in July, I have a horrible feeling she will come into season on or just before that date :o .

It will give me more time to work with her :D & her toned right up

Orlando is now being a pain every morning he goes to the bike & looks at me, with the look of lets go for a run mum :laugh: :laugh: then gets stroppy when I have taken Malika instead :D

Edited by murve

Congrats murve and Orlando!!! :D

Best of luck to everybody entering the upcoming ET's.

I'll be aiming for next year possibly with my girls. Haven't done any training with them lately and the last we were at was only about 3km's at only half the speed required, so a fair amount of work to do. And Ruby pulled up lame a few weeks ago and is only just recovering now so I wouldn't have entered her anyway, don't want the injury to return.

I wish I had the motivation (and time!) to bike them more often to get their fitness up and be ready for next year! I am going to need some serious motivation for it to happen :o

Ruby Star, the look on your dogs faces will be enough motivation, trust me. Once you've taken them a few times and they see the bike, their whole face lights up..... making your dog happy is all the motivation in the world :thumbsup:

TerraNik, congrats on your 2 CCD passes :champagne:!! I would love to get a CCD on Jett one day, I just need to have a lot more patience with my stubborn girl - also I have never trialed a dog before in obedience so that is way out of my comfort zone, I lack confidence in myself :o

After some seriouse consideration & advise, we have dicided to put Malika through her ET next year, even if she ready for Sale in July, I have a horrible feeling she will come into season on or just before that date :o .

It will give me more time to work with her :D & her toned right up

Orlando is now being a pain every morning he goes to the bike & looks at me, with the look of lets go for a run mum :laugh: :laugh: then gets stroppy when I have taken Malika instead :D

Hi murve,

Malika may/may not be ready for Sale. Give some thought to the Canberra ET in September.

M

TerraNik, congrats on your 2 CCD passes :champagne:!! I would love to get a CCD on Jett one day, I just need to have a lot more patience with my stubborn girl - also I have never trialed a dog before in obedience so that is way out of my comfort zone, I lack confidence in myself :o

TrinaJ do you want to have a go at doing some Obedience training together I have done some trials with Orlando, we have improved from our mistakes & done some training with FOO. Yes I agree it was way out of my comfort zone toooo :laugh: but now we are fine.

Hi!

I'm planning on entering the ET here in WA on the 18th (I think?) of June and I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, I'm planning on running it. Is it OK to have a bike in case it all goes wrong? I have a bit of a knee problem that springs up from time to time, so if it's feeling delicate after the first 8kms, it'd be nice to know that I can ride the last 2 legs. I figure it'd be ok, seeing as you can change handlers mid test, but it never hurts to ask!

Is it safe to assume that the course is generally a circuit that you do x number of laps on? So each leg starts and ends at the same point?

Also, I had a read through the guide on the front page, and I'd just like to comment that it's actually far safer to brake on a bike with the front brake rather than the back. At 10kms/hr, you don't really run the risk of going over the handle bars, and you stop an awful lot faster. I think the common misconception of the "over the handle bars" thing is from when people emergency brake, hit the back brakes, skid, then hit the front brakes, which will throw you over. To help with front braking (and the confidence of doing so!) try bracing your arms by pushing on the handle bars. That'll shift your center of gravity back and keep you on the saddle.

Sorry to get all technical on my first post! I just thought I'd share that little tidbit I picked up.

Spoke to the show sec for GSDVC l forgot to specify we would be biking on the entry apparently a number of people have done the same. Our entries have not arrived yet :eek: , she said enteries are open till Sat week and it looks like being a ballot :(

We are doing Canberra in Sept with Isaac if anyone wants to tag along :D

Edited by Sir Sniffalot

Ruby Star, the look on your dogs faces will be enough motivation, trust me. Once you've taken them a few times and they see the bike, their whole face lights up..... making your dog happy is all the motivation in the world :thumbsup:

:laugh: Yes I'm sure their happy faces would motivate me! But it won't solve the time issue :o Already over extending myself with obedience, retrieving and agility laugh.gif

Slow and steady I guess, I've got another year to build it up very slowly :)

Hi!

I'm planning on entering the ET here in WA on the 18th (I think?) of June and I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, I'm planning on running it. Is it OK to have a bike in case it all goes wrong? I have a bit of a knee problem that springs up from time to time, so if it's feeling delicate after the first 8kms, it'd be nice to know that I can ride the last 2 legs. I figure it'd be ok, seeing as you can change handlers mid test, but it never hurts to ask!

Is it safe to assume that the course is generally a circuit that you do x number of laps on? So each leg starts and ends at the same point?

Also, I had a read through the guide on the front page, and I'd just like to comment that it's actually far safer to brake on a bike with the front brake rather than the back. At 10kms/hr, you don't really run the risk of going over the handle bars, and you stop an awful lot faster. I think the common misconception of the "over the handle bars" thing is from when people emergency brake, hit the back brakes, skid, then hit the front brakes, which will throw you over. To help with front braking (and the confidence of doing so!) try bracing your arms by pushing on the handle bars. That'll shift your center of gravity back and keep you on the saddle.

Sorry to get all technical on my first post! I just thought I'd share that little tidbit I picked up.

Hi N.M.E.

Welcome to the ET thread. Wishing you best of luck for the ET in Perth. Fantastic that you want to run the 20k's. I always admire that in a competitor.

To answer your question, yes, you can have a bike as a back up, and you can have additional handlers lined up to help with the run/cycle.

Most courses do run on a circuit. Start and Finish points are the same, so that would make a change from jogging to cycling, or a handler change very easy. It is perfectly allowable.

M

Spoke to the show sec for GSDVC l forgot to specify we would be biking on the entry apparently a number of people have done the same. Our entries have not arrived yet :eek: , she said enteries are open till Sat week and it looks like being a ballot :(

Good luck for the ballot Sir Sniffalot.

Check with the secretary a few days before entries close to ensure yours has been received.

Canberra is a great course too, and a really great team of people running it.

M

YOu need to specify??? I didn't and didn't for the last one I did either???

Hi NME hope to see you there. I will have a Whippet :)

YOu need to specify??? I didn't and didn't for the last one I did either???

Hi NME hope to see you there. I will have a Whippet :)

Generally, the clubs need you to specify whether you are jogging or cycling. When preparing the catalogue, the runners are always put together at the head of the line, the cyclists after.

M