Early Desexing & Issues Therein

Bisart Dobes

I know there was a discussion re this topic several months ago and have done a search but nothing has come up. There was a fantastic post in this topic which listed all the veterinary issues that can come up because of early desexing.

I am looking for this because one of our puppy owners have been told by their vet that if they don't get their dog desexed at 6 months he will be aggressive, etc etc

We recommend minimum of 12 months for males primarily due to bone growth / muscle mass issues (but not only) which I have explained to them prior to them buying the puppy but the puppy owners husband was os at the time and he is the one who has taken the puppy to the vet for final vaccs & been told this. So I would like to back it up with this list of issues if I can.

Muchly appreciate the link to the prior topic if possible - think it was from one of the rottie people from memory.

Thanks

I got a phonecall from the lady who bought my Dobe girls pup. She went for her final vaccination and the vet booked her in for a spey at 16 weeks!!!!

I wasn't very happy about it and she ended up getting her done at just over 6 months. While I would leave it longer, she was not in a position to have an entire bitch so did not want a season.

16 weeks was far too young for me. The vet said he would have happily done it at 12 weeks!

I'm not sure about anyone else but it seems like the desexing issue goes through trends. In recent years, desexing is almost seen as a bad thing from the actual dog's perspective but we seem to need it from a societal perspective otherwise you end up with unwanted dogs.

It's so hard to get a clear view on the pluses and minuses of it because depending on what you read, there are a large number of pros and cons for early vs late-ish desexing and these days, a lot of people out there are electing not to desex at all and want to keep their dogs entire i.e. they are making a conscious choice, not that they can't be bothered etc.

My dog was desexed at just over 16 weeks of age and in my opinion it is way too early he is a German Shepherd and I would never have allowed it if he wasn't already done at that age. He is now almost two years of age and would have been going in for the snip now but certaintly NOT at 16 if it were my choice. So far I have not had problems with him and he is far from aggressive with anything or anyone. But still not a choice I would have made.

WOW & thanks guys - all of these are great - Keshwar thats the one I was looking for - thank you.

We have one dog who's owners had him desexed at 5 months on vet advice - he was rehomed at 14 months due to marriage break up and is in the best of homes but everytime I see him it breaks my heart to see his front feet esp but how is has been detrimental to his whole structure and development. The damage it does isn't worth it.

Thanks again.

I think it's an interesting topic but one that needs a lot of consideration on the part of the new owners. Are they prepared do deal with an entire dog up until desexing? I can't speak for all dogs/breeds but I know Orbit changed significantly once he started to feel his hormones and I admit I wasn't prepared for it. In hindsight I actually wish I desexed him earlier than I did (18months).

We see entires, particularly males, through work regularly, and I have to say most of them are poorly behaved. Not the dog's fault, but the owners for not providing enough leadership at the right time.

I don't think there's a set answer, but rather one that should be discussed and weighed up for each particular case.

I heard a rumour - I actually read it somewhere - cannot remember where - where governments were trying to legislate that the only people who would be able to own an entire dog would be a breeder, and that dogs would not be allowed to be sold unless desexed (and microchipped). This would make selling of puppies at 8 weeks impossible surely?

Edited by jr_inoz

This has also been floated in Qld but not implemented.

Not impossible, young pups heal very quickly. If they're done at 7 weeks they are ready to go home at 8 weeks.

But if the breeder/owner doesn't want to desex at that age or the pup is too small to be done at that age, etc. - then no, the pup wouldn't be able to be sold at 8 weeks legally.

Not impossible, young pups heal very quickly. If they're done at 7 weeks they are ready to go home at 8 weeks.

But if the breeder/owner doesn't want to desex at that age or the pup is too small to be done at that age, etc. - then no, the pup wouldn't be able to be sold at 8 weeks legally.

the concern about this is that it takes a health choice away from the owner. i do not like de-sexing large dogs at that age :laugh:

the concern about this is that it takes a health choice away from the owner. i do not like de-sexing large dogs at that age :laugh:

If it gets in then I would suggest new owners to leave the pups registered with the breeder until they are mature enough to be desexed - but that would be a big risk on some pet owners too. It's not unheard of that some breeders want pups back if they turn out better than they expected or kept the wrong pup themselves. Would make some people be more particular where they place puppies and owners where they purchase them.

If it gets in then I would suggest new owners to leave the pups registered with the breeder until they are mature enough to be desexed - but that would be a big risk on some pet owners too. It's not unheard of that some breeders want pups back if they turn out better than they expected or kept the wrong pup themselves. Would make some people be more particular where they place puppies and owners where they purchase them.

true, but imo it just complicates things more than necessary and to be honest i am getting over being so regulated as a dog owner

true, but imo it just complicates things more than necessary and to be honest i am getting over being so regulated as a dog owner

Agree - I would hate to see it come in myself.