Incontinence In Spayed Bitches

Sonic

Murphys law says as soon as you book the bitch in for desexing - she will come in season...

My bitch was desexed at 8 weeks by AWL, and we've had no problems with continence, or accidents. I think she's better than me at holding it, I need to go to toilet more often than she does. But she doesn't drink coffee.

Other family dogs 2 bitches - both desexed - prolly around 6 months - before coming into season - no continence problems. Well Aussie Terror didn't like going outside when it was raining or the grass was wet but her indoors peeing was no accident.

One GSP - had a car accident - always leaked when lying down.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bitch of mine that I had desexed at 3 years of age was showing signs of incontinence within a year.

Under advice I put her on Stilboestrol, and within 4 months she was dead.

To date Stilboetrol and Rimadyl have both been the most highly suspected causes of immune mediated disease in 2 of my bitches.

I do however believe that there needs to be an underlying predisposition in the line.

I for one will never use Stilboestrol again, but understand many have great success with it and no ill side affects.

It is also unlikely that I will ever desex a dog or bitch again unless I absolutely have to.

Edited by dyzney

I'm not sure about the vet technique being a factor in a lot of cases because from my limited research, leaking in spayed bitches is mostly caused by a weak bladder sphincter muscle which is a hormonal thing (lack of); hence most of treatments are hormone related. Most leaking occurs when this sphincter muscle is relaxed.

My bitch was de-sexed at around 2yrs old & started leaking in her sleep at around 5yrs. She doesn't leak when she's awake & I control it mostly by taking her outside to pee every three hours or so because Stilbestrol didn't work for her & she seems to go through long phases of staying fairly dry. She sleeps in her own bed at night with polar fleece blankets that are easy to wash & fast drying.

our girl was desexed at 6 months ish and became on and off incontinent around 5 yrs but only in her sleep. The vet gave the same explanation as Baxlse and said because she is on steroids as well (for allergies) it further knocks out the remaining hormones. So far Stilbestrol seems to be working well although she needs slightly more than the one a week suggested by the vet to keep her dry.

Edited by deerhound owner

Of all of the females I've owned that I've had desexed, only 1 had showed any signs of incontinence at a later date. Bear in mind that this one had 2 litters before being desexed aged nearly 3 years old. She started leaking while asleep when she was 6 years old. It's possible that her problem was completely unrelated to her desexing status.

My current 2 girls were desexed at 2.5 years old each - after having a litter - neither are even vaguely showing signs of any incontinence at all - and the old girl is 11.5 years old.

T.

I would no longer use Stilboesterol but when I had my older Dobe bitch it was pretty much the only thing available. Incurin and Propalin I don't think have the same potential issues.

My bitch will be desexed once she is older to avoid pyometra issues and potential mismatings, but not until she is older. Incontinence is a real pain in the backside in a house dog, and I would prefer to avoid daily lifetime medication.

Incontinence is one of the issues which has been raised with early age spayed bitches.

Amanda, from your post it sounds like there is a research project afoot - am I understanding this correctly? Also, what age is considered "early"?

Incontinence is one of the issues which has been raised with early age spayed bitches.

Amanda, from your post it sounds like there is a research project afoot - am I understanding this correctly? Also, what age is considered "early"?

There's already research on it - I haven't time to dig it out right now sorry, but I think some links to the research have been posted on the forum before. At least one study shows that the earlier a bitch is spayed, then the more likely she is to develop incontinence.

But no matter when they're spayed, spayed bitches have a much higher risk of incontinence than entire bitches do. It's due to the lack of estrogen after spaying which causes downregulation of adrenergic hormone receptors on her urethral sphincter, making the sphincter less responsive to the hormones that cause it to clamp shut.

Research also suggests that larger sized bitches are also more likely to develop it than smaller bitches.

A bitch of mine that I had desexed at 3 years of age was showing signs of incontinence within a year.

Under advice I put her on Stilboestrol, and within 4 months she was dead.

To date Stilboetrol and Rimadyl have both been the most highly suspected causes of immune mediated disease in 2 of my bitches.

I do however believe that there needs to be an underlying predisposition in the line.

I for one will never use Stilboestrol again, but understand many have great success with it and no ill side affects.

It is also unlikely that I will ever desex a dog or bitch again unless I absolutely have to.

Geez I have only had male dogs, and entire ones at that, but I always thought if I were to get a female (and if we got another dog it would be) I would desex her just because I thought it would be easier on the dog. Well this thread has made me change my mind, I think from now on my males AND females will be entire and we'll just have to work around it. I know when my poor boy drank half the ocean and had some incontinence problems as a result he was devastated and so embarrassed, I would hate to put a female through months or even years of that.

There's already research on it - I haven't time to dig it out right now sorry, but I think some links to the research have been posted on the forum before. At least one study shows that the earlier a bitch is spayed, then the more likely she is to develop incontinence.

But no matter when they're spayed, spayed bitches have a much higher risk of incontinence than entire bitches do. It's due to the lack of estrogen after spaying which causes downregulation of adrenergic hormone receptors on her urethral sphincter, making the sphincter less responsive to the hormones that cause it to clamp shut.

Research also suggests that larger sized bitches are also more likely to develop it than smaller bitches.

Hmmm interesting all mine were large breed. Maybe the Whippet will be small enough not to be as much of a problem?

Hmmm interesting all mine were large breed. Maybe the Whippet will be small enough not to be as much of a problem?

It definitely still happens sometimes in small bitches, I've seen it several times - it's just supposed to be less common than in larger breed bitches. :confused:

Incontinence in spayed bitches occurs at whatever age you spay then due to the hormonal drop off and weakening of the pelvic floor muscles. In studies comparing Australia (where spaying before the first season was common) and the UK (where the practice was to let them have at least one season) there was no difference in the percentage that became incontinent. In my experience fat dogs are more likely (possibly just more bladder pressure when lying down?) and GSDs were the most common breed.

Poor Shadow has just Leaked all over OH's Chair and on the floor it's the worst it's been.

I have made her a 'Makeshift' Nappy from a nice soft blanket and she is sitting very still on her bed, i think she knows why she has this uncomfortable bit of material wrapped around her :confused: She is so good.

I Can't believe the coinsidence in this topic coming up and this occuring for Shadow again, is it seasonal as in Summer?

Please note like i mentioned before she was Spayed at 6 Months, we thought we were doing the right thing.

Lots of female dogs in our families and none have ever been incontinent (except for our old Kelpie x who became incontinent at night when she was about 15). Desexing ages range from 10 weeks (Pia) to 2 years.

My previous girl Kal (avatar dog - bhcs) was spayed when she was 4yo and had bouts of incontinence at around age 11 or 12. However I very strongly suggest that the incontinence was a symptom of another illness which in itself eventually was her demise, and naught to do with her being spayed when she was more mature.

Bianca was speyed at 41/2 when she went into GAP. She started having incontinence problems when she was 7-8, and the severity would vary. She had a couple of UTIs, which didn't help. She was put onto Stilboestrel, which helps a lot.

She has improved a lot, and now only has medication when the problem comes back (so maybe every month or so). However, there is a waterproof backed blanket on my bed (on which she sleeps) and her day bed as she occasionally drips a bit. She also tends to have a wet vulva after she's been outside, so the waterproof blankies help with that if I'm not around to wipe her bottie for her. I buy them on eBay, and they're easy to throw in the washing machine.

Kate (IT) spayed about 5 months, Incontinent at 2 - turned out to be due to starting Hills Z/D low allergen (intolerent to meat proteins). Fixed with 1-2 Good-O's a week (much to her delight).

Nature's Gift organic dog food - makes her extremely incontinent. Solution - feed Good-O's for two days, give the Nature's Gift to the male dog.

A friend, who is one of those people who can cook, makes up a curry everytime his Keeshond starts to leak. Apparently fixes the problem.

ChristineX

Mia is a slim Chihuahua & she was around 2.5 years old when she was spayed, so I guess I’m just lucky.

I try to manoeuvre a waterproof baby blanket under her when she’s sleeping on my bed but she always manages to wriggle her bum off it. I’m quite well trained with the frequent trips outside so I manage to keep her bladder fairly empty which helps since she only seems to leak when she’s fast asleep & her bladder’s full.

Hi I have had 6 bitches. Sheba was a dobermanxshepherd. She was desexed at 6 months and developed incontinence at 6 years. A kelpie 2 coolies a border collie and a shepherdxcorgi all done 5.5 months never had a problem. The kelpie was nearly 15 when she got her wings she had great bladder control. One of my coolies is 12 also has great bladder control and my border collie is 9 and also has great bladder control. The shepherdxcorgi she died at 10 and was fine till the end when she was sick