Pros And Cons Of Free Feeding

moggy

Who free feeds their dogs? I just wondered is it better to feed at certain times of the day or free feed. Our Chihuahuas have about 1/3 chicken neck in the morning and then about 1/2 cup dry food at around 5pm. Also my husband usually gives them a couple of bits of toast, around 1/2 inch square and a small spoon of ice cream if he has it for dessert. Of course they want some too.

They are a bit overweight. They run and play with each other during the day for exercise.

Both have been desexed.

Friends of ours have 2 Chihuahuas and they are free fed and not at all overweight. They have not been desexed.

I don't see any advantages in free feeding.

With mulitple dogs you can't control who gets what. You're encouragaing potential conflict over food and you're losing a valuable opportunity to control one of the dog's most valued resources.

The key to getting some weight off your dogs is not how you feed but how much. You can't control that at all free feeding.

Lose the toast and the icecream for a start - of little nutritional value to the dogs and while it might make hubby feel good, its clearly not in the dogs' interests.

FYI, you're feeding your dogs more than my 6.5kg mini poodles get!! I'd be halving that kibble too. Walking them every day will also help.

Edited by poodlefan

I don't think there are any advantages for free-feeding....you just show the dog they don't have to work for anything and you create a dog that can't eat a meal in a normal sitting so that crates a problem going forward.

My 18kg dog is only getting 1 cup of dry food per day and my 36kg dog is getting 1.5 cups (less if they get any bones as well).

The only benefit I would see in free feeding would be if you wanted your dogs to hold a low value for food? One of mine in particular would just eat until she popped but it sure makes her easy to train ;)

I don't free feed because I have two dogs that resource guard their food. I have an 'eat it or lose it' philosophy in my house. Last night, Mini growled when Grumpy looked like he was coming over to her (he wasn't, he wanted my attention) and she hadn't started eating her bambi ear. He had finished his. She didn't eat it and I didn't have the time to supervise him, so she lost it. Back in the cupboard it went.

My two get a meal in the morning (treats, some kibble) and then a meal at night, treat afterwards. If I left food out, there'd be tears.

I free feed because my dog has always been a problem eater.

Tried the whole bowl down for 15 mins only and put away until next meal but made no difference - would not eat any more at the next meal or even eat the next meal and the dog just got skinner. I persisted for ages but stopped as I considered it was not in the interests of my dog's health.

Sometimes he'll eat his meal and other times not. He gets left with his food when I go to work - some days its gone when I get home and other days its not touched. He last got fed at aroud 7pm last night but did not eat the full meal. Its now 1pm and he has not eaten today at all.

Having a breed prone to bloat I am thankfully I don't have a guzzler.

I'm very much against free feeding in general. It isn't normal - it is not good for training and it isn't what their digestive systems are geared up for. They are hunters. They should be working for their food.

But like Danois I've had to ignore this in my own dog's case, but the only reason for that is due to health issues. My boy is the same, Danois. Pulling the food away makes no difference and due to his digestive issues I think he finds it better for him to eat small amounts often (and as an aside, this fits the other of his profile which is now suggesting EPI, so I'm figuring he knows what he feels before I can). There are times where he has eaten so little I'm just glad when he decides he's hungry and eats. I don't always manage to pick those times when he feels like eating, so I do tend to leave food down for him. Although he's not so into dry food on its own and I do not leave the dry/wet mixed together as it tends to get attacked by the flies .... so leftovers get lifted, covered, and offered throughout the day.

That is a lot of food. My older shelties only gets 1/4 cup of dry with the young ones getting about 1/2 cup and they are meant to be in the 8-10kg range quote

I suppose it would depend on whether the OP is feeding her dogs a high quality food or a lesser quality kibble. If its lesser quality than that is probably OK to feed that amount which is probably equivilent to 1/2 the amount of a higher value food. I would certainly cut out the ice cream & toast....no goodness in that, & definately no free feeding. Maybe your friends dogs that free feed & are not overwight are on a very poor quality food ;) What kibble do you feed your little ones??

I have 2 terriers who have been free fed all their lives, both are slim. They are not food oriented and were hopeless trying to train with food rewards. They have access to dry food at all times with occasional table scaps as treats. I don't see that free feeding is an issue if the dogs are not greedy and don't overfeed. It is not true that it is not normal- a degree of famine and feast is seen with wild carnivores who will gorge when they have caught something but as dogs are more scavengers they will eat almost anything as and when they get it. Twice daily feeding or once daily feeding of discrete meals does not model "wild behaviour" any more than free feeding.

Fat dogs should not free feed only because if they are not hungry and clearing their bowl they are being fed too much!

I'm not into free feeding. My dog has high value for his food and will eat his meal straight away and lick the bowl. If he's ever feeling enough to not eat, I know straight away because it's unusual for him not to finish.

It is not true that it is not normal- a degree of famine and feast is seen with wild carnivores who will gorge when they have caught something but as dogs are more scavengers they will eat almost anything as and when they get it. Twice daily feeding or once daily feeding of discrete meals does not model "wild behaviour" any more than free feeding.

Yes, but they don't have the food on tap 24/7.

Many people are in favour of fasting their dogs once a week or so, to (a bit) more closely mimic the spasmodic eating behaviour they would exhibit if in the wild.

I am not in favour of free feeding.

I like to know exactly when my dogs are eating, and how much, If someone turns their nose up at their meal here there is a reason and I need to know about it.

How a dog is eating, and what they are putting out the other end are both watched here.

I work at a rescue where we previously left dry food in yards all day (on top of once a day feeding--mince and chicken bones) but obesity and resource guarding/fights became a huge issue.

Two of my mutts at home will steal food, given half a chance. My two are way more picky about eating and will take a while to eat their meals. Mischa is food aggressive but shares her bowl with Carl occasionally--they're joined at the hip.

Free-feeding will lead to conflict or resource guarding, both of which you don't want... I take away food if they clearly have had enough or aren't interested. Same with bones, toys, etc.

I admit that knowing how much a dog is eating and resource guarding are considerations when there is more than 1 dog in the house.

Boo's now up to 24 hours without eating and he's well - maybe its just the heat :laugh:

My dog blew out to 50kg at 12 months and that was with controlled meals.

He would eat a 15kg bag if he got to, otherwise he'd stand guard over it.

He's always been a possessive eater.

My female is the opposite.

At first she would only eat every third day.

Now, she sits with her food like its accruing interest.

If I didn't have the other dogs, she'd only eat every other day.

That's a demand (free) feeder.

The puppies on the other hand, (now 4yo and 5yo) can't afford not to eat because they'd lose it if they didn't.

Either dad or the other pup will take it from them.

So it depends on your dog.

I could "free" feed my senior bitch, but because she has chicken twice a day, it's just not hygienic.

Edited by pewithers