When Buying From A Registered Breeder Poll 1

SwaY

When looking for a Registered puppy  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Do you care about the breeders website when choosing a breeder?

• YES - I like a good flashy website
    • No - I don't care
    • N/A
  2. 2. Would you buy from a Regsitered breeder who was not a member of there BREED club?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A
  3. 3. How long would you wait for a Registered puppy from your chosen breeder?

• 1-3 months
    • 3 -6 months
    • 6 - 12 months
    • 1 - 2 years
    • 2 - 3 years
    • 4 - 5 years
    • N/A

I don't need a flashy website but I would like a website that is easy to navagate and I can find information and photos.

They don't need to be a member of their breed club, although I'd want to know why before I furthered my enquiries.

I'm happy to wait around 2-3 years for a dog, if I were wanting a dog to become part of a breeding program then I'd wait longer.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some breeds, of course, don't have breed clubs and some aren't worth it anyway.

Beat me to it.

Breeder doesn't have to have a website. While it makes things easier some breeders aren't tech savvy or have the time. Doesn't make them any less of a responsible breeder.

I would wait as long as needed for a pup from the right lines.

The wait for an Irish Terrier in this country can be long, their aren't often litters listed as there just aren't many breeders around. We had so many wonderful enquiries when Ruby was pregnant that we could have placed multiple litters in fantastic homes.

ETA: Just because someone has a wonderful looking website doesn't make them ethical or responsible. Some people are fantastic liars. :heart:

Edited by Lyndsay

I understand that some people can't be bothered with websites but I would be very hesitant to buy from someone who's dogs I can't see if I didn't have the option of seeing the parents. Pedigree's, photos and show info is important to me and I like to see it.

I hate all the fancy flashy music crap, keep it simple, tidy and up to date!

Couldn't care less if the breeder is a member of the breed clubs.

As for waiting, I will wait for as long as I have too for the right dog.

Our boy from Poland has been in the works for 2 years now and he still isn't here, also the bitch I am hopfully getting in March has been almost a year.

Edited by Bjelkier

I made the mistake of leaping right into getting my second dog and ended up with a rescue full of health problems. I don't regret Bambi for a second and I miss her terribly, but I would never EVER repeat what I did.

I've happened across a wonderful breeder who I've chatted to a fair bit, I've admired her bitch for a long time and stalked her on DOL for a while :cheer: I know exactly what I want in my next dog and she's more than willing to work with me (but I swear to god if you call my pup <Prefix> The Fluffinator I WILL hunt you down!!). It was incredible timing that Puppy Mummy got knocked up when she did, and I've still got a few months to get completely used to the idea.

I wanted a Bedlington originally but both the breeders I would consider very recently had pups on the ground and I am not ready for another dog yet, it's too soon. My Papillon pup won't be 'ready' until April. So I'll wait. I've been waiting 5 years so far for my little lamby, what's another 5? I understand that it's a bit difficult for rarer breeds and I'm willing to wait for as long as I have to. :heart:

A couple of years ago tho and I would not have been willing to wait. I have a much better understanding of registered breeders now and the fallout of getting a dog that has been in a BYB/mill situation and would never ever do it again.

I like breeders who have pics of their litters from birth to 8 weeks. I also like to see pics of their previous litters in their new homes. To me, it means the breeder cares about each and every puppy they have produced.

Well I chose the breeder, rather than a puppy.

You can't tell what someone is like through a website. Telephone is good though.

If we have a breed club could someone let me know please? So, that question is also superfluous.

Why would someone need to keep a puppy longer that three months?

I think that's a no, a yes and a WTF from me.

Edited by pewithers

Well I chose the breeder, rather than a puppy.

You can't tell what someone is like through a website. Telephone is good though.

If we have a breed club could someone let me know please? So, that question is also superfluous.

Why would someone need to keep a puppy longer that three months?

I think that's a no, a yes and a WTF from me.

I think the question means how long would you wait for a litter to be born with an available pup.... at least thats how I read it, may be wrong though ;)

I put 6-12mths but it would prob depend how desperate I was for another dog and if I could find another breeder I was equally happy with :laugh:

Edited by cmkelpie

Wouldn't most novice owners after deciding upon breed, then search listing of pups available and choose from the breeders who have them or close to the litter being born???. I would imagine it would be more experienced owners waiting for particular breeders or litters that have some significance to them???.

Wouldn't most novice owners after deciding upon breed, then search listing of pups available and choose from the breeders who have them or close to the litter being born???. I would imagine it would be more experienced owners waiting for particular breeders or litters that have some significance to them???.

Not all potential dog owners have a particular breed in mind, a lot just have a "type" of dog they can see themselves with, which is why pet shops do so well because they often have that "type" available.....even though the pup might grow up to be completely different to what the buyers thought they were getting.

We're about to get a new puppy, though I suppose we're not the typical new puppy buyers having been on DOL for a fair while now. Before we'd even decided to get a puppy, I knew a fair few breeders in the breed from talking to them on here and I knew how long we would have to wait. We were relatively lucky - I didn't expect to be getting a puppy until somewhere between March and May, but Halo is coming home at the end of this month. Our breeder is wonderful and I would not hesitate to get a second puppy from her - not sure the OH is too keen on a third dog though! :laugh:

For me, I find a website important because I'd never contact a breeder unless I could get information about them and their dogs first. I'll visit any website, even if it makes my eyes bleed, and I can always turn off the sound if they're going to try and kill me with music. ;) But I want the website to be informative and give me pictures of their dogs and info about their bloodlines, etc.

For our puppy's breed, there's a breed club in Vic, but that's the only state that has one, so it's not really applicable to me, though our breeder is a member of the Vic breed club. And I was happy to wait up to 12 months for a puppy, but I was certain there'd be litters sooner (and I was right).

I think the question means how long would you wait for a litter to be born with an available pup.... at least thats how I read it, may be wrong though ;)

I put 6-12mths but it would prob depend how desperate I was for another dog and if I could find another breeder I was equally happy with :laugh:

OK that's different.

I will more than likely bring imports into the country when I retire, so put me down for a 10 year wait. ;)

Yes. I am serious

Not all potential dog owners have a particular breed in mind, a lot just have a "type" of dog they can see themselves with, which is why pet shops do so well because they often have that "type" available.....even though the pup might grow up to be completely different to what the buyers thought they were getting.

That does happen a lot, I agree :laugh:

But if after a few months of trying to contact breeders and get some idea of availability, and not getting anywhere, then yes it's reasonable to look at it from a different angle.

That's not clicking your fingers then changing your mind because it isn't there immediately.

that's it, I'd be happy to wait 1-2 years if I had made contact with a couple of breeders and needed to wait until they had a litter. I would struggle to wait any length of time for a breed if I couldn't get any breeders to talk to me.

I prefer to see a breeders website that has info on their dogs and themselves before I contact them by either email or phone depending on where they are (overseas or Australia) It doesn't have to be flash but I do like it to be easy to navigate.

As for being a member of their breed club its not important to me but if there is a breed club for the breed I would like to know why they aren't members.

I would wait as long as needed to get the right bloodlines and also get a puppy from my preferred breeder.

I ticked that the website isn't important to me.

I pick working sheepdogs so I would rather pick a good dog than a good website. To be honest a lot of triallers don't even have an email address!

Breed club poll was not relevant. Again as working dogs most of the Kelpies come registered with the Working Kelpie Council but Borders are mainly registered with The Sheepdog workers as the main registry. Funny enough the ANKC Border Collies prob wouldn't accept the working strains as they won't fit the ideal conformation (colour, ear set and coat length are the immediate concerns) so to me that breed registry is insignificant when it comes to actual dogs of the breed that can work.

I said I would wait til 6 months. Depending on circumstances. If they could give a time the bitch would be bred and it was what I wanted I would only wait for 2 seasons. If it was longer I would go somewhere else

Edited by dasha

I think I'm a bit different to many people who are new to the dog world. For me to get my first puppy from a breeder took 6 months of researching (I already had an older rescue dog). And I did a lot of talking to people I knew who had the breed I wanted to get recommendations and what to look for/ask. But after all that, I went to a few shows to see the showing breeders in action and see the different dogs within my breed. After that...

I was more attracted to breeders that had a website. I was able to find out about their dogs achievements, activities and see their pedigrees (not that this meant a lot to me at the time, but I was able to see names that were familiar and recommended to me). It didn't need to be flashy, it needed to contain information. However, the breeder I think I would like to get my next puppy from (probably at least a few years away!) doesn't have a website. But they were very helpful to me at a show in giving me suggestions about what to ask when other breeders wouldn't even acknowledge me. Their lines are also in the heritage of both my girls and this is now an influencing factor for me.

About the breed club. Not sure really. I don't know that it's imperative, but I feel that a breed club should be representing your breed well so breeders should want to be part of this. But that's all a different question!

As for how long to wait. I said 6-12 months. For me it's about timing with my work (teacher - defined holidays and seeing as though I get them I'd like to get a puppy within my holiday time to get it established at home. So for my current girl I was really lucky to get her 1 week into my long break). I would be more prepared to wait for a litter that coincided as best with my holidays as possible rather than get one at a time that I know will be busy. Ideally within 6-12 months (also because I think it takes a couple of months to get to know your breeder if you haven't dealt with them before), but if it was shorter or longer so be it if the timing is right and the puppy/breeder is right.

I dont really care about how flash their web site is or even if they have one. Although I do want to see as many photos of their dogs as I can if I am unable to see them in the flesh.

The membership of the breed club bit doesn't worry me that much as I am aware there are breeds that don't have a club. However if there was a breed club I would expect the breeder to carry out any testing as if they were a member.

Regarding time frame if I was after a certain parentage from the breeder I don't think a time frame comes into it.

I think the question means how long would you wait for a litter to be born with an available pup.... at least thats how I read it, may be wrong though :(

OK that's different.

I will more than likely bring imports into the country when I retire, so put me down for a 10 year wait. :party:

Yes. I am serious

me too! :love:

Speaking as a breeder - I have never had, nor ever seen the need for, a website. When I started breeding (17 years ago) such things were unheard of :laugh: I've always been happy for people to come & look at the puppies, am happy to send them pictures of the puppies, the parents etc. & refer them to people who have bought puppies from me in the past.

As far as being a member of the breed club is concerned, I am a member now, was in the past but did not renew my membership, due to an unpleasant experience with the club (nothing to do with the current executive), so I wouldn't necessarily let it sway my judgement. I have only ever bought puppies from 2 breeders (1 of Poodles, 1 of GSPs) and I wouldn't have a clue whether either of them were/are members of their breed club!

I don't care if a website is "flashy", but when choosing a breeder I do need details of their dogs' achievements, pedigrees & health tests, and a good website is one way of me getting that information easily.

I also quite like seeing what my dog's siblings and parents are up to on my breeder's website. Although that wouldn't sway my decision to buy from a breeder, I do appreciate it.

I expect that a novice dog owner would be more attracted to a flashy ("professional") website, than someone that already knew exactly what they wanted in a dog & breeder.

This is what I meant when I selected that I wanted a website. I very much like to have some information available about the breeder and the dog, and then from that, I decide which breeders I want to meet. If there are several breeders available to choose from, I have overlooked the ones that don't have a website in favour of those that do. The website does not need to be flashy or anything, but I like to be able to see the adults, and read their take on what they're aiming to achieve - especially with my chosen breed, I like to know what sorts of work they do with the dogs, I don't want dogs who are used for nothing but showing... I suppose if none of them had websites I would have to resort to other means, but at this stage I have been fortunate enough to still have 10's of breeders to choose from who all have informative websites.