• Weimeraner
    • German Short Haired Pointer

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for all the replies thus far. Now maybe some members can help me with perceptions/ generalisations that I have about the breeds right or wrong to see if they i'm on the right track.

German Shepherd

Like it or not they do automatically invoke fear in a lot of people, which could be cause for concerns for friends coming over especially with kids (though supervision show always be given regardless!!!).

Coat is slightly thicker even with short hair breed and may attract more seeds.

Maybe could be issues with wanting to 'herd' roos.

Very intelligent and should pick up commands easiest and be good on recall, with training.

German Shorthaired Pointer

Very active breed

May be eager to chase birds, roos etc.

Less negative perceptions

Shorter coat should be easier maintenance (feel the cold more????)

Might be harder to train for recall as likes to follow it's nose??

Edited by Warnsey

The GSD and the two utility gundogs have quite different temperaments.

I suggest you visit with breeders and check them out for yourself.

You'll be the best judge of what breed best fits you but I'd not recommned a Wei for agility and you'll be hard pressed to find a suitable GSD these days.

If you can't keep the dog securely confined, don't get any of them. All have decent prey drive and all would have potential for chasing stock and wild life.

German Shorthaired Pointer

Very active breed

May be eager to chase birds, roos etc.

Less negative perceptions

Shorter coat should be easier maintenance (feel the cold more????)

Might be harder to train for recall as likes to follow it's nose??

training, training, training, training & training should fix a lot of this .... my boys are very different (although they are closely related - their mothers were litter sisters) - one has a lot more drive than the other, both are quite affectionate but in different ways and both are more than happy to spend the day vegging out on the lounge if need be, both are giant sookie-la-las sometimes and othertimes I've seen both get defensive and protective ..... training needs are also very different, Morty has more drive and is more of a challenge - he works amazingly with my OH they have a fabulous connection through their training but he is a very headstrong dog who is constantly challenging what you think of him and where you are aiming your training - when he works for you/with you he is amazing to watch, Archie is softer and I find easier for me to train (doesn't mean I dont' train Morty cause I do as well), he learns quickly but is less challenging .... both have very good recall cause we work on it constantly ....

Feel the cold? yeah my two do but we possibly foster that in them as they aren't outside in the cold much so they get used to being at a more constant temperature - but a few of the GSP owners in the subforum are from the snowy areas of the state so they would be ablet o answer that better - although since even mine seem to be happy to jump into the ocean in the dead of winter and swim and surf the waves whilst its like 10 degrees with a freezing cold wind then they can't be too afraid of the cold but they do feel it when they get out .....

Where are you located? I'm happy to introduce you to my boys if you're near Newcastle NSW....

Edited by FionaC

Personally i think a GSD

BUt i prefer the working dog temp

Good luck in your decision

As for the fear factor, if your friends are coming over and they know you and your pup you will reduce that

I have 2 GSDs, if people move away from me and the dogs when i am walking them, that is their problem, they miss out on cuddles from very friendly and happy dogs.

Thanks for the info Fiona. I am in Canberra currently, but the house will be just south of the border in NSW. My wife has family down Maitland way. Thanks for the offer.

no worries .... if you find yourself visiting Maitland let me know and I'll see if our schedules match up - the boys are always up for extra attention and pats ....

How could you resist this face :rofl:

Perception by some about the breed can be a good thing for people whom dont know your dog :rofl: prowlers and burgulurs etc :eek:

Sounds like you would have a great set up for any breed :eek:

Good fencing, security and training would prevent any herding of roos by a GSD

Goodluck deciding, 45 acres, hmmmm why not get a GSP and a GSD :rofl:

post-17097-1295157513_thumb.jpg

I'll back Pockets on this one - my GSP's love their "cousin" the GSD and they all have a wonderful time together

and if we're resorting to cute puppy photos in this discussion how about these ones

4332244778_083049fc0e.jpg

4336042617_4c32bac6ea.jpg

Edited by FionaC

How could you resist this face :rofl:

Perception by some about the breed can be a good thing for people whom dont know your dog :eek: prowlers and burgulurs etc :eek:

Sounds like you would have a great set up for any breed :D

Good fencing, security and training would prevent any herding of roos by a GSD

Goodluck deciding, 45 acres, hmmmm why not get a GSP and a GSD :rofl:

Nawwwww, that is a very cute face!! :rofl:

I would make a list of why you picked those 3 breeds,what you about them & what you dislike about them & make a list of what ideally you want the dog to fit into & see if any breed starts to stand out more.

Although i would go German Wirehaired Pointer over the GSP just prefer the easier nature

I'd be planning for some snake proofing of a run Warnsey.. they're bad around Canberra this year.

Yes, we've only seen 2 on the property so far, one brown and one black. I am planning for a chain link fence dug in. Then using 4.5mm wire mesh dug in on the outside of the chain link fence 1.2m high and coming out at a right angle.

I would make a list of why you picked those 3 breeds,what you about them & what you dislike about them & make a list of what ideally you want the dog to fit into & see if any breed starts to stand out more.

Although i would go German Wirehaired Pointer over the GSP just prefer the easier nature

We've made many a lists, that's how we narrowed it down from 10 to 3.