Saying Farewell To My Old Girl.

Gayle.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear this Gayle, its a hard time at any stage of their life, but at that age it must be very difficult to even comprehend. I wish her a peaceful journey to meet our dogs on the other side and hugs to you. :crossfingers:

Edited by SmoothieGirl

Thanks for all your thoughts. There's a bit of a conflict here as my husband does not want me to take her, he thinks she deserves the right to die here. He says she's not in pain (I'd question that), and we should just let nature take it's course.

At the moment, the best I can hope for (and I've been hoping for this for weeks) is that she goes to sleep and does not wake up in the morning.

She is very old, she hasn't eaten for days, she looks like a chicken frame with matted fur. I can't brush her as her skin is so thin and fragile, she is winding down to the end and I just want it over. She sleeps all the time, and when she gets up she walks very gingerly to the garden, does her wee then walks very gingerly back to bed and goes right back to sleep. And she sleeps like she's already dead, I often have to touch her to make sure she's still breathing.

Her best mate Gemma who went to the bridge in 2007 will be waiting for her.

Ugh...I know how hard it is.

When our old ACD Jed was suffering my OH was all for trying something else, more vet visits etc.. He couldn't let go. I picked Jed up and said to him 'Get the keys, because both Jed and I can't stand it any more.' He came with me in the end.

17 years is a great age Gayle....Kassy has obviously had a wonderful life.

Run free old girl. :crossfingers:

:rofl: :rofl: :D :D from me and also from Mother Moocher, who also sends hugs and her condolences. She is thinking of you.

Gayle I'm so sorry again, your last post was so heatbreaking. :laugh:

If she is indeed so very thin and fragile I would be inclined to go with you on this one, I know what your hubby is talking about but I think you have made the right choice. She isn't enjoying life anymore, the only reason to keep her going is for yourselves. It's up to you to suss this one out. Is she still well enough to hang on for you guys for a little while or do you think she is ready? From your post I think she is.

I've got this looming on me right now and I understand your anguish. It's hard to know when the time is right. Do what you feel is right in your heart, talk to your hubby and try to come to an agreement. I'll be thinking of you today and praying for your family. Please try to take solace in the fact that she has lived an amazing 17 years that have been full of love, wonder and excitement. She would have so many memories, she is a lucky old dog, 17 is an incredible age.

Please update us as soon as you can and remember that everyone on dol is here for you should you need us.

Big hugs being sent from me and my pack.

I'm so sorry :)

It's so hard when someone else who cares so much about your dog wants them to keep going for their own sake. Luckily J was understanding and ended up coming with me to the vet to say goodbye to Bambi. I can't imagine how horrific it would be to lose a companion of 17 years :laugh: The best I can offer is internet hugs. xx

:) Love the oldies. What a great age she is. I'm very very sorry, you will miss her so much. Thinking of you all today,, with love.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :)

Puppy sniffer, you too.xxxx

One of my cats is 17, I'm getting quite frightened now. I love him so much.

At the moment, the best I can hope for (and I've been hoping for this for weeks) is that she goes to sleep and does not wake up in the morning.

I'm so sorry to hear this, Gayle :) With the quoted bit, I hoped the same for my 19 (almost 20) year old cat. She went downhill overnight and I hoped she would just go in her sleep but I got home from work and she was obviously in excrutiating pain. I left it too long to end her pain, so at midnight I had a vet come out and end her pain for her. It was heartbreaking, but the right thing to do. Maybe you and your husband can compromise and have a vet come to you so she still gets to pass away at home?

Hugs to you :) I have an almost 17 year old maltese living with my parents, she's blind and going deaf so I fear we don't have much time with her, either :)