Tips For First Time Triallers

Be consistent in your training and go in the ring the same way. This is hard because you now have someone judging you and people watching. Learn to trust in your training and train as you trial and trial as you train Concentrate on your job and that will take away some of the ring nerves...after all, you're too busy concentrating to be nervous right?! :thumbsup:

OK whats your job? First to pay attention to your dog and get focus at the start peg (you've trained that yes?) At the same time you must pay attention to the judge and be ready to follow orders...another thing to train :laugh: Now you must concentrate on walking in a straight line, do the correct footwork for the turn (just the way you trained), cue the halt so your dog is not caught unprepared, transition smoothly into fast pace, decelerate and cue correct position....and on and on.

I find the more I concentrate on getting my bit right the less nervous I become....and smile :)

Be consistent in your training and go in the ring the same way. This is hard because you now have someone judging you and people watching. Learn to trust in your training and train as you trial and trial as you train Concentrate on your job and that will take away some of the ring nerves...after all, you're too busy concentrating to be nervous right?! :D

OK whats your job? First to pay attention to your dog and get focus at the start peg (you've trained that yes?) At the same time you must pay attention to the judge and be ready to follow orders...another thing to train :rolleyes: Now you must concentrate on walking in a straight line, do the correct footwork for the turn (just the way you trained), cue the halt so your dog is not caught unprepared, transition smoothly into fast pace, decelerate and cue correct position....and on and on.

I find the more I concentrate on getting my bit right the less nervous I become....and smile :thumbsup:

Ok it may seem a daft question but how do you cue the halt??

Be consistent in your training and go in the ring the same way. This is hard because you now have someone judging you and people watching. Learn to trust in your training and train as you trial and trial as you train Concentrate on your job and that will take away some of the ring nerves...after all, you're too busy concentrating to be nervous right?! :D

OK whats your job? First to pay attention to your dog and get focus at the start peg (you've trained that yes?) At the same time you must pay attention to the judge and be ready to follow orders...another thing to train :laugh: Now you must concentrate on walking in a straight line, do the correct footwork for the turn (just the way you trained), cue the halt so your dog is not caught unprepared, transition smoothly into fast pace, decelerate and cue correct position....and on and on.

I find the more I concentrate on getting my bit right the less nervous I become....and smile :thumbsup:

Not daft at all :rolleyes: I'm not sure what others do but I slow ever so slightly and bring my left foot up to meet my right foot.

Not daft at all :rolleyes: I'm not sure what others do but I slow ever so slightly and bring my left foot up to meet my right foot.

Thanks I do slow down a bit but I need to think of other things to give him clues :laugh: I am in a practice trial tomorrow night so will bear this in mind

I love the Patty Ruzzo quote to halt like a snowflake falling :rolleyes:

Not daft at all :D I'm not sure what others do but I slow ever so slightly and bring my left foot up to meet my right foot.

Thanks I do slow down a bit but I need to think of other things to give him clues :thumbsup: I am in a practice trial tomorrow night so will bear this in mind

And it also helps to choose which foot you're going to stop on and then be consistent. It doesn't matter which, just pick one and stick to it.

Be consistent in your training and go in the ring the same way. This is hard because you now have someone judging you and people watching. Learn to trust in your training and train as you trial and trial as you train Concentrate on your job and that will take away some of the ring nerves...after all, you're too busy concentrating to be nervous right?! :laugh:

I find the more I concentrate on getting my bit right the less nervous I become....and smile :o

and....................................breathe :thumbsup:

Remember you both (handler & dog) are being judged as a TEAM, so looking like a team & working together as a team, for instance...... if you have a little dog, take little steps to match, if you have a larger dog, take slighly longer steps. Cue your stops/turns with a smoooooooth transition of steps, dont just stop/turn & expect your dog to be watching.

Try to think of the ring as an extension of your training and that it is your oppuruntiy to "show off" what the two of you can do!!!

Go into the ring with an aura of confidence (easier said than done :eek: )

Most of all have fun & enjoy the challanges ahead of you with you furbaby :thumbsup:

I've found the following a help for overcoming nervous tension which can ruin a trial.

You conserve your mental energy by concentrating on what you should be doing at each specific moment.

Focus on every part of every exercise, giving clear signals, showing positive body language, smiling.

After each exercise praise the dog then immediately start cueing him/her for the next one. You can tell

your dog what is coming next as you walk back to the post.

Pay attention to the what the judge says, and answer if necessary, but don't make conversation with the judge.

Reserve your attention for your dog. You can use the available few seconds between exercises to cheer him

up or calm him down. In other words it is about you and your dog and nobody else.

If you are really nervous, or find the judge a bit scary think of something very funny. (Usually involving that judge) :o:laugh:

Remember KEEP IT SIMPLE

luvsablue