Tips For First Time Triallers

I know there are a few people around here (including me) hoping to enter our first trial this year, whether that be in obedience, agility or another sport. There's a wealth of experience and knowledge on these forums so thought I'd put it out there -- any tips for the newbies? :D

I'm interested in anything to do with preparation and lead up, what to do and what not to do on the day, etiquette, knowing when you're ready, what the consensus is on double trials, dealing with nerves, etc. Anything you're willing to share :)

Thanks in advance!

I am assuming you have done all the training necessary & feel you are ready to trial. I would recommend going along to a trial & doing volunteer work as a leads steward for the weekend. That way you get to really see what goes on & what to expect. Before you can trial you have to register with your state body of ANKA.

Yep I am already a member of DogsACT and have stewarded at a trial. But somehow I still don't really feel any more enlightened on the ins and outs of trialling :)

Have you done some practice runs with someone acting as a judge for you?

A couple of considerations;

What sort of energy level does Ava work best at? (ie does she need to be tired out a bit, or kept fresh in a crate until show time)

*Have you one enough practice of entire sequences without praise reward? (I'm pretty sure you're right, but it can be confusing for some dogs)

*Double trials can be very tiring, (for people and dogs!) but take a crate, and keep her quiet between trials, and they generally go OK. You can always withdraw from the PM trial if you don't feel up to it.

*Don't forget a chair for you, and a crate for the dog, and shade if required. Another biggie to remember is a pin/armband for your competitor number (a safety pin is fine to start with)

If you'd like to watch from a competitors viewpoint, a few of us will be competing in the CCD evening trial in Feb, and you're welcome to come and sit with us and watch as a potential trialler, and ask questions as we go....

Interesting I wouldn't recommend necessarily having done a full run through without any form of reward. The only time either of mine don't get some sort of reward actually during a ring round is at a trial but both will be rewarded upon finishing in the ring.

Obviously its a sensible idea to extend the length of time the dog is expected to work before receiving the reward but I don't know of many top level triallers who would ever do a training round minus some form of reward at some point.

Both my dogs however are taught to do multiple exercises before a reward they just don't know when the reward might come when we train. Sometimes it might come when they are lined up at the start peg, sometime during a heel pattern, it might even not be until after a SFE (if we are talking CCD/Novice level).

On the matter of double trials I know my older girl couldn't cope with 2 rounds in a day so I don't ask her to. My youngster probably could but just being at a trial is tiring when you first start - for both dogs and handlers.

Edited by ness

I haven't done a full round without praise/reward but I have done lots of work on randomising and lengthening the time before reward especially in the heel pattern. Keeping her enthusiasm up is really important to me, she is a great little worker but being an Aussie she wants things to be FUN so I don't want to ruin her attitude by pushing her to go a long time without reward. I've already made the mistake of boring her a little with heelwork so have had to do lots of work to make it fun again!

Our one club 'runthrough' was a bit of a disaster but I wasn't too worried as it was a strange night for various reasons. I have done heeling patterns individually with our instructor calling (who is also a judge) and they have gone very well.

CleoJ, I will try come along to the Feb trial! :D

(Hopefully this is helping other people as well, I did mean for the thread to be for the general good, not just me :))

Interesting I wouldn't recommend necessarily having done a full run through without any form of reward.

I think Cleo was trying to say - "have you stopped talking to your dog yet?" :) i.e. no verbal praise during an exercise... I didn't think she meant not rewarding at all, just not talking.

I know there are a few people around here (including me) hoping to enter our first trial this year, whether that be in obedience, agility or another sport. There's a wealth of experience and knowledge on these forums so thought I'd put it out there -- any tips for the newbies? :laugh:

I'm interested in anything to do with preparation and lead up, what to do and what not to do on the day, etiquette, knowing when you're ready, what the consensus is on double trials, dealing with nerves, etc. Anything you're willing to share :eek:

Thanks in advance!

Do you belong to one of the ACT dog training clubs? If so, which one and what discipline will you be entering in? Reason I'm asking is because I might be able to direct you towards a person who can help you prepare.

Thanks for starting the thread!!! This is information I was also interested in!!

So from reading responses I have a question. "No verbal praise" - does this mean that you cann't use a bridge word during an obedience trial? Is it only the commands that are given by the judge? (I have scanned over the rules etc but I didn't see reference to this, also having not had real experience in trials I found the way some things were written a bit confusing. However planning on sitting through many trials before actually doing one so I'm sure it will make more sense after that!) And at CCD level can you give verbal and hand signals? Is there a point where you cannot give one or the other?

Yes we can do the exercises without talking or praising, even though I think that is a silly rule :eek:

Do you belong to one of the ACT dog training clubs? If so, which one and what discipline will you be entering in? Reason I'm asking is because I might be able to direct you towards a person who can help you prepare.

Yes, BDOC, obedience :laugh: I am in the trialling class so we do a lot of proofing but it's a pretty different environment in a training class to an actual trial.

Thanks for all the comments guys, they are helping me work out what we are good at and what we might need to work on some more.

Edited by wuffles

Thanks for starting the thread!!! This is information I was also interested in!!

So from reading responses I have a question. "No verbal praise" - does this mean that you cann't use a bridge word during an obedience trial?

Only your verbal and signal command to your team member (your dog) is allowed to during the exercises, so no you cannot use a bridging word .

Is it only the commands that are given by the judge?

Always listen carefully to what the judge is telling you and do as you are asked eg if your dog is lagging wait until the judge tells you what they want you to do.

(I have scanned over the rules etc but I didn't see reference to this, also having not had real experience in trials

I found the way some things were written a bit confusing.

Which parts do you find confusing?

Have you read the glossary?

The description of the exercises that is required for the level of test that you want to do ?

Ask here and some one will be able to help clear it up

However planning on sitting through many trials before actually doing one so I'm sure it will make more sense after that!) And at CCD level can you give verbal and hand signals?

Yes you can give both a verbal and hand signal as long as it is done together.

Is there a point where you cannot give one or the other?

In UD heelwork you have to only use signals and in UDX you can use a mix but you are not allowed to do them both together for the positions in motion

Praise is allowed in between exercises only.

No food is allowed in the ring. Make sure that mobile ph is switched off. Bum bags off, No dangling keys etc is allowed.

Have fun

Yes we can do the exercises without talking or praising, even though I think that is a silly rule :)

Yes, BDOC, obedience :laugh: I am in the trialling class so we do a lot of proofing but it's a pretty different environment in a training class to an actual trial.

Thanks for all the comments guys, they are helping me work out what we are good at and what we might need to work on some more.

Hopefully BDOC or one of the other clubs might put on some mock trials for you to try.

My best advice for a first time obedience person.

Breathe.. especially during stays :eek:

Smile - it will relax your neck and shoulders so your dog isn't wondering why you're moving strangely.

Go into the ring with the objective of making it a rewarding experience for your dog. He should come out happy no matter how you go.

Get someone to video you if possible. You'll learn a lot.

Have some rescue remedy - it helps the nerves!

This was an email I sent to a good friend thinking of trialling, so you might also enjoy it :D. Keep in mind I'm a perfectionist ;)

My plan for trialling is this:

*train to the maximum level – so for obedience I want them to be at Open level before I even enter CCD. You want perfection that blows you away at training :thumbsup:

*Have no expectations at a trial, BUT don’t *expect* them to fail an exercise, just don’t be disappointed if they do. So basically you want to enter a trial 100% confident your dog is proofed to perform these exercises, but you don’t walk in with the expectation that you are going to wipe everyone out with your brilliance ;)

*Don’t compare yourself to everyone else, but watch the routines so you know roughly what’s going to come. Don’t look at your scores till it’s all over – puts too much pressure on yourself :(

*Go in, have fun and take out all the small pleasures. I have Kinta to thank for this and I think it’s made a wonderful difference to our trialling career (with both dogs). I take away the little pleasures.

*Have the ability to laugh at their mistakes ;). There will be many.

*Always go in and go out with a big smile on your face. You have an Aussie Wuffles - which means they will pull no end of crazy and entertaining tricks - I have way too many stories to elaborate :o

Then – just when you think you are doing good, watch a video of Ptolomy’s dogs (or someone just as talented) and realize just how much further you have to go!!! ROFL!

Thanks Terranik for clarifying my late night reply - I simply meant each exercise without rewarding/ praising in the middle!

Another thing I find works for me, on the topic of not focusing on your dog during stays, is to look around, and sing (internally!). I use Row, row, row your boat, as a round of that is about 10 seconds, so I can also keep track of time!

You'll be better prepared than I was at my first trial - my old club didn't even do ring run throughs like we do!

This was an email I sent to a good friend thinking of trialling, so you might also enjoy it :). Keep in mind I'm a perfectionist :scold:

My plan for trialling is this:

*train to the maximum level – so for obedience I want them to be at Open level before I even enter CCD. You want perfection that blows you away at training :mad

*Have no expectations at a trial, BUT don’t *expect* them to fail an exercise, just don’t be disappointed if they do. So basically you want to enter a trial 100% confident your dog is proofed to perform these exercises, but you don’t walk in with the expectation that you are going to wipe everyone out with your brilliance :mad

*Don’t compare yourself to everyone else, but watch the routines so you know roughly what’s going to come. Don’t look at your scores till it’s all over – puts too much pressure on yourself :laugh:

*Go in, have fun and take out all the small pleasures. I have Kinta to thank for this and I think it’s made a wonderful difference to our trialling career (with both dogs). I take away the little pleasures.

*Have the ability to laugh at their mistakes :D. There will be many.

*Always go in and go out with a big smile on your face. You have an Aussie Wuffles - which means they will pull no end of crazy and entertaining tricks - I have way too many stories to elaborate :)

Then – just when you think you are doing good, watch a video of Ptolomy’s dogs (or someone just as talented) and realize just how much further you have to go!!! ROFL!

Lol I do this often :) and then i wonder what i can do to get my dog to perform like that...