Doggie Dementia/ccd?

westiemum

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have been following Mac's story and so pleased he is doing well. Many dogs seem to feel more secure if they can sleep above floor height - no doubt Mac feels nice and safe up there with you. :)

Thanks Rosetta Pers, B and all. Yes I think you might be right Rosetta - particularly as I've no doubt the dark is quite confusing for a deaf, going blind, dementing old fella.smile.gif

• 2 months later...

Well after a couple of good months, Mac has started his 3 am wanderings again - this time doing circuits of my bed!!

This can't go on. frown.gif It takes an hour or so for him to settle and go back to sleep. I think I'm going to have to contain him somehow. I think I'll try a dog bed (low doughnut type) on my bed first and see if that helps. If that doesn't work I'll have to put him in a crate or pen next to my bed. (I don't want to banish him out of the bedroom if I can avoid it).

I think I need a soft westie sized crate or a small soft sided pen (no more than 0.5 metre across). I think it needs to be big enough for him to stand up turn around and take a step? Or does he need to be more closely contained? It needs to be soft and 'not noisey' if he paces or moves in it. What would be best? Recommendations?

I hate the idea of crating or penning him (he's a puppy farm rescue who spent almost half his life penned and caged frown.gif) but I don't think I can avoid it now.

So would really appreciate some ideas and crate/pen advice please?

TIA.

Well after a couple of good months, Mac has started his 3 am wanderings again - this time doing circuits of my bed!!

This can't go on. frown.gif It takes an hour or so for him to settle and go back to sleep. I think I'm going to have to contain him somehow. I think I'll try a dog bed (low doughnut type) on my bed first and see if that helps. If that doesn't work I'll have to put him in a crate or pen next to my bed. (I don't want to banish him out of the bedroom if I can avoid it).

I think I need a soft westie sized crate or a small soft sided pen (no more than 0.5 metre across). I think it needs to be big enough for him to stand up turn around and take a step? Or does he need to be more closely contained? It needs to be soft and 'not noisey' if he paces or moves in it. What would be best? Recommendations?

I hate the idea of crating or penning him (he's a puppy farm rescue who spent almost half his life penned and caged frown.gif) but I don't think I can avoid it now.

TIA.

Would a baby's play pen up against the bed be any good?

Mine have K9+ soft crates. They certainly wouldn't be noisy if the dog got up. Are you able to tether him to anything so he could remain on the bed but not have any room to wander?

You can normally pick up cheap soft crates from top buy or deals direct - forgive me as I am not sure on an appropriate westie sized crate so don't know if this would be suitable.

http://www.dealsdire...folding-kennel/

http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/pc/Large-Portable-Soft-Pet-Dog-Crate-Cage-Kennel-Blue-p183897.htm?search_words=crate

Edited by ness

TIA.

Would a baby's play pen up against the bed be any good?

Yes I think thats my preferred first solution Rosetta - but the only ones I know of are the old, quite big wooden ones. Do they come in other smaller types do you know? smile.gif

Mine have K9+ soft crates. They certainly wouldn't be noisy if the dog got up. Are you able to tether him to anything so he could remain on the bed but not have any room to wander?

You can normally pick up cheap soft crates from top buy or deals direct - forgive me as I am not sure on an appropriate westie sized crate so don't know if this would be suitable.

http://www.dealsdire...folding-kennel/

http://www.topbuy.co...rch_words=crate

Thanks ness - I'll certainly have a look at them too. I think a crate is Plan B. I think I'll try a pen first if I can find a suitable one. He can then have his own bedding and I hope will feel more at home rather than completely enclosed. Thanks againsmile.gif

Ohh:(

Can one get soft pens? I would hate him blundering about( although in a gracious manner) and come up against something hard

W M I am thinking those circular kids playpen things made from fabric? Circular, so he can walk around and around as the urge takes him , and he cannot come to much harm. It would also be really easy to make it smell like bed just by draping bedding over it for a while before introducing him to it. and maybe lending him your pillow as well ?

Ohh:(

Can one get soft pens? I would hate him blundering about( although in a gracious manner) and come up against something hard

W M I am thinking those circular kids playpen things made from fabric? Circular, so he can walk around and around as the urge takes him , and he cannot come to much harm. It would also be really easy to make it smell like bed just by draping bedding over it for a while before introducing him to it. and maybe lending him your pillow as well ?

Thanks Perse yes thats my thinking too - something soft that he can move around in but not extensively and is small enough to fit down the side of my bed. I didn't know there were fabric kids ply pens but I think that would be ideal - and yes I'll start sleeping on the spare pillow and put an Ikea blanket under me ready for the move... great idea... thanks.smile.gif

Just thinking - a cot sounds good ..except for corners... if something is circular ... then there is no confusion or stopping ... just around&around as the brain dictates

.... :o but I guess a bedroom can only fit so much stuff in ?

Just thinking - a cot sounds good ..except for corners... if something is circular ... then there is no confusion or stopping ... just around&around as the brain dictates

.... :o but I guess a bedroom can only fit so much stuff in ?

Hmn... good point Perse... circular would be better... will look for one about a metre in diameter or if it has to be a bigger I might be able to move the bed....

Or perhaps a baby gate across the bedroom door - at least that would keep him in the room?

Thanks Rosetta - but I need to contain him as its his 3 am pacing which wakes me and the other two westies, who then want to party as well!

Not having a lot of success trying to find a round play pen with fabric, plastic or soft sides in Australia. The only pet ones I've found I didn't think looked all that good. Found an ideal plastic one in China but only with a wholesaler!

Might have to settle for a second hand cot - seem to be plenty of those around....

ETA or a hexagonal playpen might be better...

Edited by westiemum