Caucasian Ovcharka

Africa

Question for the Anatolian/Kangal breeders - how/why did the two names come about and if it's the same breed (if it is), why are they recognised individually by ANKC?

Not completely positive Raz but it's something to do with areas etc. One of the names (could be anatolian) covers an area and all the dogs of that 'type' in the area, then there are 'sub breeds'. a lot of central asian breeds etc. come under the same sort of thing.

I think? (but I'm sure if you 'google' it will be there..) that Kangal is from anatolia, so an anatolian? I think the dogs are onee and the same and have the same dogs in their heritage/pedigrees.

No idea why there are classed as two different breeds, but I couldd be completely off track. :birthday::birthday: xxx

Where is a breeder when you need them :birthday:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where is a breeder when you need them :birthday:

That's OK. Non breeders can answer as well. Thanks Monah. I did ask Lilli years ago but cant remember the answer. It's just really interesting because in Turkey when I was there they were always called Kangal, even in Anatolia. Very impressive dogs

The puppies are stunning. I came across a litter of them over there just out in the open and picked one up. God I look back now and think how damn stupid I was - both the parents were looking on.

This is Lilli's website -Lilli is nominated for master Breeder of the Year and it explains a heap about the difference or lack there of in the breed.

http://www.takasvolkodav.com/page2.asp

Oh wow congrats, Lilli. Ta Steve.

So just thinking out loud, does the ANKC recognise both names so that those who import dont have to stick their dogs under one title when it's registered in another country as the other? And did the discrepancy in the name happen in Turkey or elsewhere ie do the Turks use both names? No reason for asking other than curiosity.

Any ideas on what this hairy boofhead is? South America - could be a mongrel, could be an import. I have no idea.

post-1515-1295742401_thumb.jpg

I have to say that I don't see the less common/bred for function only LGDs are suitable "pets" for our country.

They look to me to need a job, an environment that suits the function they were bred for AND an owner who both understands them and manages them accordingly.

Sticking one in your average suburban block hits me as profoundly stressful for the dog and a potential accident waiting to happen.

As I said earlier in the thread, you can admire big cats all you like but your average person shouldn't be able to own one. Leave these magnificant animals to those who have both the situation and the understanding they need.

If you want that much "protection" hire a bodyguard.

The analogy to big cats is very apt. I have lived both in town with my Kangal and on small acreage (40 acres) - town was a nightmare, small acreage is a little easier. I'd think about having another if I had a much larger property.

I think it needs to be remembered that these dogs can (successfully) take on bears...

Casowner, I'm amazed about your stories of Jake and the lambs, what a fantastic boy he must've been.

OT Elina, I really want to get back to Northern Europe! I loved Sweden especially. I'm part Swedish, but I was surprised by how much it felt like coming home. The Estonian and Finnish languages defeat me though. I managed to learn "hello" and "thank you" in Estonian, oh and "airport".

Any ideas on what this hairy boofhead is? South America - could be a mongrel, could be an import. I have no idea.

How big? It kind of looks like an ungroomed wheaten. It's hard to tell from just one photo though.

Huge (wolfie size)

How big? It kind of looks like an ungroomed wheaten. It's hard to tell from just one photo though.

Huge (wolfie size)

At a guess then a South Russian Ovcharka?

I'm kicking myself for not asking at the time. Gorgeous dog and very laid back. I've got a photo of him with a man but the board wont let me upload it for some reason

Could just be a cross breed, but s/he is so beautiful. As I said looks a little like a (big) wheaten, so of course I'm partial... love me a shaggy dog!