Need Some Reassurance - My Dog Was Bitten By A Tiger Snake Yesterday&a

beenie

Hello again,

well, I have good news :cry: Miss Willow was finally tempted to eat today :cry: ...does any dog refuse a bbq chicken haha?? She had two good meals (which meant I got to visit twice yay!) and lots of lovie cuddles from me and my son who came with me this morning. She's improving a lot, tests look good, wee is clearing up - so all good! The vet discussed sending her home, but said that if we could afford another couple of days hospital care, he would prefer to keep her there on the drip a little while longer - which I agreed to. I would hate to bring her home too early and have complications down the track as a previous poster described! So, hopefully we'll have her home sometime on the weekend :cry:

Sandra, I hope China is doing well too!!

wonderful news, and don't forget when she gets home to keep her cool and confined to prevent muscle myopathy.

Very slowly build up her excercise tolerance, it can be at least a month before they are bouncing around.

Common Complications in Snakebite

Myopathy:

This is the break down of muscle which is a result of snake venom, especially in tiger snake bites. This will cause pain, respiratory failure, weakness and kidney failure. Myopathy can occur within one month of treatment for snake bite if the dog is not strictly cage confined.

After Care:

Upon the dog being discharged from Veterinary care, the dog must be strictly caged and confined. The reason for this is to prevent the development of myopathy. If an owner is successful in reaching this point, the dog has a very good chance of survival. However if the dog is not strictly nursed and confined the chances of survival at this point are greatly decreased.

Glad to hear both your dogs are okay.

Sandra collapse is a common result of brown snake bite and sometimes they can pop up and look fine a few seconds after, but of course then go down hill again. The rapid treatment in both your cases will most definately help with less damage to your dogs internal organs and a quicker recovery.

We had a collapsed great dane late one afternoon who by the next morning was jumping around his run and wanting breakfast the next morning - he had it's a miricle written across his cage card. He went home that arvo.

After care is really important, keep them very quiet but also you don't want them to get to hot, so under the aircon and in a nice cool area on hot days.

They will possibly lose a lot of muscle tone and look quite scrawny for a little while but over time it comes back.

Hopefully they are all home and quiet very very soon. My absolute worst nightmare. I have had 10 snakes at least near the house this year, three desperately trying to get into the dog runs and so far I have been extremely lucky. I hope that continues for myself and everyone else.

China is fine again this morning, only out for a brief pee & poop walk and very put out!

Didn't crate her last night as she is the only one in the lounge area of the house and just lies on her bed when she's on her own anyway. She's crated when the others are loose and she is utterly disgusted in the whole idea :)

Willow came home tonight! :thumbsup:

She is looking a bit lean, having not eaten for 3-4 days, but so so happy to be home :)

Now the 'fun' bit starts....keeping a bouncy, active 19mth old Wheaten crated or on a short leash for 3-4 weeks...... :laugh: Wish me luck!!!

A lucky escape and excellent intervention.

Unfortunately, I had a puppy booked as my first dog and the Dam was bitten the day before mating.

She survived the transfusion and made it home but deteriorated on her mat, the following day. :(

And my best bitch from our second litter succumbed to snake bite in her new home while still just a puppy.

I hate snakes. :)

Edited by pewithers

Great to hear she is home, yes you will get stink eye often over the next four weeks. Just keep reminding her that 4 weeks in a 15 year life is but a moment in time!

I severly dislike snakes myself. It is the only thing I don't like about living down here, we have lots!