Showing A Bitch In Season

Hunterhound

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone! If the weather is stifling then I won't show anyway, but it looks as though the general response is to show her.......but do it respectfully for the dog exhibitors.

I agree, if all those male owners didnt want us to show our females in season then the shows would be full of males only ! Why should I leave my girl at home just because you cannot control your male ? I can control mine ! I have also had exhibitors happy when they found out my girl was in season because it put their boy on his toes ! I always let everyone around me know my girl is in season and I try very hard not to toilet them close (some girls just have to mark though). And I always tell those in the lineup around me.

Thanks everyone! If the weather is stifling then I won't show anyway, but it looks as though the general response is to show her.......but do it respectfully for the dog exhibitors.

I agree, if all those male owners didnt want us to show our females in season then the shows would be full of males only ! Why should I leave my girl at home just because you cannot control your male ? I can control mine ! I have also had exhibitors happy when they found out my girl was in season because it put their boy on his toes ! I always let everyone around me know my girl is in season and I try very hard not to toilet them close (some girls just have to mark though). And I always tell those in the lineup around me.

I think that is a very selfish attitude. You say you control your dog who weighs what??? I'll give you my 52kg dog and dangle a bitch in season in front of him and see how well you control him. Yes, his is basically under control but will not stack properly and cries for the girl. Very distracting for the dog. Anyway what is 3 weeks out of your bitches show career or are those ribbons too important.

i think i asked this several years ago,and no one could tell me-how does one train a high sex drive dog NOT to be interested in females?????

I want my males to be able to serve naturally,i think it is a lost art in some breeds,but it can be bloody hard to show them if someone sets up right on top of you,and stands their bitch(day14) in front of you as you go in for groups.Also had one pretty staffy bitch take a real shine to Demon and kept getting away from the owner,find her way to our gazebo and present her rear end to him ,she was right on too. :o

I think it is incredibly selfish to show a bitch in full season and most of them dont show well at that time anyway. (ears and tails go down and they become looser all over due to the effect of hormones)

It is unrealistic to expect males especially stud dogs to behave as if those girls aren't there sharing their glorious girly smells and it makes it tough for the handlers of those male dogs.

I dont think you can "train" most males to ignore those reproductive urges and its not fair to expect their owners to have to struggle with that issue unexpectedly at any given show, to say nothing of the poor judges with blood all over their hands and then going over a male with the lingering smells on their hands and clothes.

In Europe they are not allowed to show bitches in season and as a matter of courtesy to other exhibitors I think its a good idea.

Is it really too much to expect the girls in season to stay home for a weekend or 2 in the whole scheme of things? I dont think that's too much to expect is it?

I'm not sure that it's a question that can get a straight answer... I really do think it depends on the circumstances.

I have shown my bitch in season when I had entered three shows in two days and planned a full weekend away with hubby and son around the show and she was only just starting to get showing (she got 18 points that weekend).

However I won't be taking her to classic on Saturday because she is coming in, she might cause a stir, I have another dog to show and she is already titled.

Same bitch, in season, different responses. Just if you are going to do it, be careful and respectful.

I used to get told ï should train my males out of it etc, or i should have better handling skills ,or if the dog was hard to handle with bitches in season-i should desex???? He used to whinge and get extremely fidgety,and would try to sit when the judge handled his "jewels :wave: ïf there were in season bitches around.

I dont know any way to train a dog not to be interested,I am pretty sure bitches in season are not allowed to compete in obedience,and those dogs would have a higher level of control i would assume-it must obviously affect that.

At the 2009 Melb Royal there were 2 greyhound bitches in full standing heat shown. One of them was mine. I told the owners of the wolfies peering over the benches that Fern was in season. We rearranged the dogs so their boys were furtherest away from Fern, it wasn't very far but there was no trouble from any dog at any time during the very long day. The judge was told as well when we went in.

I've only shown males thus far and don't have any problem with bitches in season :(

One has been used at stud and can be a pain around bitches but he is fairly easy to control and he brightens up.

I am about too have my first ever bitch in season, and it depends on how she will behaved during the season as too whether I show her or not.

Edited by tollersowned

I dont have a problem with it as long as people are considerate,not all males will react the same way.I would just like someone,anyone,to tell me what methods can be used to make sure a male doesnt look sideways when there is a fully standing bitch around,that is destined for stud.Food never worked,or distraction.So how do you train them -these are a hunting hound breed-not renowned for their "trainability :(

Any tips would be good in case i want to show again when i am more financial.

and telling people doesn't then mean you can walk your bitch wherever you like around the show!

I've been lucky with my males and they have shown the same BUT a friend has a male who goes to pieces when there are bitches in season, at one champ show he was surrounded by 3 of them. The poor dog couldn't settle in or out of the ring and these bitch owners wasted the entry fee of the dog owner.

Showing a scent hound male when there is bitch's right in is impossible.

I have had to scratch my male Basset Hounds in the past because of it.

Personally I don't show my girls when they are in season, most of the time they have their heads and tails down and generally do not look happy.

I also hate the look of a short coated bitch in season.

Leanne

Really can't believe some people here...

"someone elses's problems"????? really???

How about a dozen or more peoples males that are affected by YOUR dog?

Bloody rude.

Pfft I have male dogs too and I dont whinge and complain when there are girls in season around. I just deal with it. What about the stud dogs that can tell a bitch is coming in 6 weeks before she does ! Am I supposed to leave her at home 6 weeks before she comes in as well ??

Hmmm I wonder how they cope at horse shows ?? !!!

I wont take a bitch in season to a show, not only does it upset my boys, but friends boys and other dogs at

the the show, :laugh:

I get very annoyed when there is a girl in season around at a show, my older boys have learnt to ignore it

by age and experience, but when you have a young dog still learning the ropes

its such a pain when you cant get their heads up off the ground or they are really distracted by a girl somewhere

on the grounds !!

surely you can miss a show or two ?? :)

I know a few Judges that hate it when bitches in season are in the ring ! not just the mess, but also the disruption it can cause to the males that they have examine afterwards.

How do they cope at Horse shows Kelpies Rule ???

well the males competing in the hacking rings are geldings and most people dont take mares in season to shows

because they act like such absolute cows its not worth the effort most of the time,

and the stallions are only in the breed rings usually led, sometimes under saddle but not in the hacking rings.

Edited by Libertybrook

I'd rather you show your bitch in season than allow your male dog to piss over any of the following:

* my gazebo walls

* my trolley

* a bag full of show gear

* my leg

I've seen all those. :)

Bitches in season are permitted to be shown. Therefore I think its inevitable that they will be. No point getting upset about it. :laugh: