Alternatives To Cheques For Payment Of Entries

jr_inoz

My bank happily informed me the other day, whilst I was ordering a new cheque book, that all banks are phasing out cheques altogether and they will no longer be available. (No date for this, but the time is coming sooner, rather than later).

I am in SA and we do not have online entry available nor payment of show fees electronically at present. Am wondering how one will enter a show without using cheques. Bank cheques are very expensive, money orders are as well and it isn't safe to send cash.

Do people use other methods? What are the states that have electronic entries (and payments)? What methods are used by people?

Have you thought of starting up an account with a Credit Union instead so you have access to cheques?

I haven't heard anything in our news that banks are doing this?Wouldn't they loose out on making money from these?

BB

x2.. Im with one of the big banks and i havent heard this... They only sent me new book last week

Have you thought of starting up an account with a Credit Union instead so you have access to cheques?

I haven't heard anything in our news that banks are doing this?Wouldn't they loose out on making money from these?

BB

x2.. Im with one of the big banks and i havent heard this... They only sent me new book last week

We organised a new cheque book two weeks back (and received it last week) and we weren't told that either.

Guest CaptainCourageous
My bank happily informed me the other day, whilst I was ordering a new cheque book, that all banks are phasing out cheques altogether and they will no longer be available. (No date for this, but the time is coming sooner, rather than later).

Your bank is feeding you complete bulldust.

Find a new bank or a Credit Union.

CC

ps which bank was it?

If you are in Adelaide I bank with LLL in North Adelaide and they happily do all my withdrawls as cheques for all my entires. And at NO cost to me. If you can't get in they will post the cheque out to you. They will even forward the cheque if you include paperwork. You still get a passbook if you don't want internet banking.

Bit old fashioned but great service and much better interest rates than any bank or credit union that I've talked to.

Good luck, I was in that boat before I moved my banking

I haven't heard anything in our news that banks are doing this?

Wouldn't they loose out on making money from these?

BB

I am with a credit union. Community CPS.

According to the CU - everybody, including all credit unions are apparently phasing out cheques. It is not common knowledge yet.

The word is that there are not enough cheque users these days as 'everyone' uses credit card, direct transfer, paypal etc and not cheques. I said 'what is not enough' - apparently there are only 100 000 cheque users in the country - I would have thought that this was enough... but apparently not. Love my credit union - will stay unless I find that another credit union decides to keep cheques.

I like the direct transfer and post the receipt idea... works for me. Hoping that SA shows take this option up really soon. I am sure a lot of show secretaries would appreciate that instead of having to bank a whole lot of cheques.

I won't send cash, even double enveloped. I do know of a showie who had the cash for her entry for a weekend of shows (over $100) stolen. Not worth the risk.

with regards to this matter, i agree with the original poster. in europe cheque books are being phased out as we speak & we are to soon be following suit so i suggest show societies find an alternative for exhibitors to pay for entries.

yep - when i was protesting to my credit union - this is the reasoning that was given to me. It is happening in Europe already and that is will be phased in here soon. There was no timeline given. I would prefer electronic transfer, or, better still, paypal, but SA seems to be lagging behind badly in this area.

with regards to this matter, i agree with the original poster. in europe cheque books are being phased out as we speak & we are to soon be following suit so i suggest show societies find an alternative for exhibitors to pay for entries.

yep - when i was protesting to my credit union - this is the reasoning that was given to me. It is happening in Europe already and that is will be phased in here soon. There was no timeline given. I would prefer electronic transfer, or, better still, paypal, but SA seems to be lagging behind badly in this area.

yes the sooner everyone gets out of denial land & organises an alternative the better i think. lets get with the 21st century for gods sake

Hopefully all clubs get on the Ozentries bandwagon, there is no Victorian all breed shows listed on there when really there should be.......if there can be so many NSW and ACT secretaries doing it why not Victorian ones? Surely it's less paperwork??

What about people who dont have a credit card? I agree, Ozentries need to get themselves a BPay number to start, and also offer direct deposit. A bit slower, and probably need more man hours for them though, where as the CC system would be pretty much automated.

I would leave a bank who phased out cheques. Same as I left a bank who charged me too much. Love my current bank, but if they take away cheque books I will be mighty pissed off!

What about people who dont have a credit card? I agree, Ozentries need to get themselves a BPay number to start, and also offer direct deposit. A bit slower, and probably need more man hours for them though, where as the CC system would be pretty much automated.

I would leave a bank who phased out cheques. Same as I left a bank who charged me too much. Love my current bank, but if they take away cheque books I will be mighty pissed off!

You can always get a Visa or Mastercard Debit Card so you don't need the pressure of a Credit Card. You can also buy pre-paid credit cards now (although they have a set up fee of I think $9.95). So there are non CC options for Oz Entries. But it would be good to add dd and BPay as well.

I hate cheques. Hate them, hate having to watch my account and waiting for them to be deposited which can sometimes take weeks to a month after the show!!! In the process of getting a 3rd bank account now (1 is credit union and everyday savings/debit/credit card plus cheque book, the 2nd is Online only and the 3rd will be hopefully my NEW everyday account but will keep the old/current one purely for dog show cheques), but its so messy.

Have used OzEntries once (for 2 shows) and online entries for Royals and LOVE IT. Am much happier paying the CC fees (which aren't much more than cheque fees) and having the money gone in an instant rather than waiting for my cheque to be taken out and potentially ending up with fees for myself and the club if it's overdrawn (although my CU is good and has a 24 hour overdraw window but I don't check my account every day!), not to mention entries going missing in the post, getting damaged sitting in someone's mailbox during a rainstorm etc.

I reckon cheques must be a royal pain for the show secretaries, too.

Are there any shows in Australia that give paypal as an option?

This would be a great option for payment (imo anyway). I love that option when I am buying online. Means that if there is a dispute, I can get my money back.

Just on the whole leaving a bank who phases out cheques - get ready... it is coming... maybe not in near future, but it is being planned here across the entire banking sector (all institutions)...