Tough Hides And The Show Ring

-Megz-

'listen, dont worry, dog showing is a hobby , a past time it doesn't take you to the Olympics and it is not for a sheep station, and would you invite that person to your house for dinner, if the answer is no, why bother having anything to do with them.......you dont have to like someone just because they have the same breed'.

:thumbsup::laugh::)

I love this, I think it says it all :eek:

Obviously the problem isn't with the new people but the old exhibitors who feel their turf is being threaten...........my answer to this when I was a new exhibitor was to cut these people dead, I just stopped talking to them.

Reminds me of when I was new and used to patiently listen to someone witter on to me at length about how terrible it was that certain people in the breed never said hello or spoke to them at shows, how rude, etc. It was only later that I realised those rude exhibitors were smarter than me!!

It's sad when you reach that realisation isn't it :dancingelephant: Somehow on the annoying side of the fence!

Sadly, I'm still at the stage where people bitch behind my back. One day I'll be good enough that they will actually be rude to me in person! :( :D :D

I'm still so bad that they don't even bother bitching about me :eek: ..................... yet :eek::eek:

I must just be lucky. I have only been showing for about 7 shows and have heard about people with a problem with me who I have never talked to and my dog has never gone close to winning anything yet.

LOL! Do you feel special?

I've only been showing for just over a year now, I set myself a policy of 'open your ears and not your mouth' and learned a hell of a lot in that year. I talked to everyone in my breed, excitedly introduced myself to anyone knew and tried to really get to know them.

I very quickly learned who would, in great detail, rip sh*t through other exhibitors or their dogs with no prompting. I think that was the best thing I could have done and has certainly told me where I want to situate myself and it is something that I would personally recommend to other people... yes people will get bitchy and carry on, but just spend a while listening, it gives you a fairly good guide as to who is worth engaging with.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only been showing for just over a year now, I set myself a policy of 'open your ears and not your mouth' and learned a hell of a lot in that year. I talked to everyone in my breed, excitedly introduced myself to anyone knew and tried to really get to know them.

I totally agree with this. I too have been showing for a year and was very lucky to meet some really lovely people in my breed. I listen to all advice given. Free advice is priceless.

At the end of the day I really love my dog. I know his faults and I know his strengths and I am happy he is the one I take home, win or lose. I decided to start showing as a hobby to meet new people, have adult time away from my three young children and be able to spend quality time with my dog. I think it's a great sport.

Oh yeah

Sleeping with judges is an oldie but a goody.

Actually sometimes it is true :thumbsup:

I rememeber many years ago after returning to the car with our dogs after a judges lecture and noticing a light come on in another car nearby. Out pops a woman hitching down her skirt and then a male judge who is married, but the woman was deffinently not his wife! My mother and I was giggling like mad :-p Ahhh what some people will do to win ;-)

Haven't read the whole thread but my theory is you need to want to be there. You don't need to 'HTFU' to show or breed or even have a good time. All you need to do is know what you want to achieve and have the ability to stick to a plan. Some 'hard' people are hard because they are bitter assholes and I know some incredibly gentle, soft people who stick it out and don't let anything get to them because they know why they are there, what they want and don't play anyone's game.

Wish I could say my show ring experiences have been pleasant.

My very first show, a specialty at that, was pleasant but I was subjected to some less than pleasant behavior and remarks. That was nearly 6 years ago and I'm still showing but I nearly walked away because of it. My reason for staying in the ring was "if my ex husband can't take my pride they sure as hell won't succeed."

I'm still here. I'm still subjected the the same crap.

I have new puppy people ask me about showing and quite simply I tell them "if you can let comments go like water off a ducks back then showing is for you. If you can't then it's not a place you should be."

Do you mean we won't all be holding hands & singing "lovey dovey " sounds in November :mad:(

Yes I'll be there singing showdog, but only if I win of course, if I lose I'll storm out of the ring, rubbish the winning dogs, accuse the winning handler of sleeping with the judge and then slink off home to wash the dye out of my dogs :)

It must be ages since you lost --- after you call the judge a fornicating loser, (probably with the exhibitor of the winning dog,whether same sex or not), you then are supposed to chuck your dog into the trolley,bang the lid down as hard as possible, and swear at him too. Then pack your car, and roar off, spraying the other competitors with grass and dirt.

Don't wash the dye off, leave it till next weekend.

Hope you understand better now??

Anything I want to say, I say directly to someone, not behind their backs -- and mostly I don't want to bother, it's none of my business. And who am I to criticise their dogs, or their handling, or their dye job? No one.

If they are nasty to me, I smile a lot and say "gee, thanks for that" (and go home and stick the pins in the dolly) - but it's not important, it's not as if this person is my friend .... it is nothing.

I DO have some friends "in" dogs, but they would never be rude to me.

And I haven't been winning a lot lately, so most people are nice :cry: And my usual friends are always nice and genuinely pleased if I do well, as I am for them.

Newbies should go along to the show to have fun with their dog - some food, some drinks, a nice day out, and a chance to meet new people. Some they will like, some they wont - as in all things. But in the beginning, they can assess the people that they like, or don't like, so they can make friends, and they will. I haven't been showing at all this year, but I go with friends to shows - I hold dogs, groom dogs ---- I can't run --- but I help, and I have a great day out, as if I was showing. If I had a dog, someone would show it for me.

If the dog wins, that's a bonus ... if you go along to have a good day out, you do have a good day - and if a win is a bonus, not something you expect, you will have a better time.

Go to enjoy your dog, and the company. Those fringies are the icing on the cake!!

I always have a great time, win, lose, draw, or fall over.

And if you think dogs are bad, ponder that no one has yet attacked a dog which may win as they have with horses.

My impression of many dog show people are that they are there to be involved but only very few are there to win. In fact, many who start to win consistently find it as hard as losing. They are shunned by people who used to save them a space, their dogs criticised openly and worse, behind their backs. It takes a very tough hide to win and keep winning.

What a shame that kind of behaviour is seen as "acceptable" at any event and people need to be told "it's all part of it".

There is no excuse for that type of rudeness, and the only reason people get away with it is because it's tolerated as being part of showing dogs.

What is the answer then? I'm not trying to be funny, it's a serious question. How would you stop people being rude?

I found people aren't rude for long if you smile, take what they say on board and just get on with what you enjoy doing...showing dogs. Albeit some are happier when you're losing than when you're winning! :bottom:

There are some people out there who don't lose often and when they do it's not pretty. Sometimes they could use a bit of humble pie. But on the other hand a newcomer who starts out winning can be in for a bit of a let down when they find they don't always win. I think you have to deal with this type of thing in the same way you deal with other aspects of your life. None of us live in a cocoon.

What a shame that kind of behaviour is seen as "acceptable" at any event and people need to be told "it's all part of it".

There is no excuse for that type of rudeness, and the only reason people get away with it is because it's tolerated as being part of showing dogs.

agree...

Sadly, I'm still at the stage where people bitch behind my back. One day I'll be good enough that they will actually be rude to me in person! :bottom: :D :D

I'm still so bad that they don't even bother bitching about me :) ..................... yet :D :rofl:

see - both of these quotes apply to me. :D ;)

Been showing for a couple of years now and my girl has had some small success. In another state, I've been told she'd be titled by now, but very competitive in our breed here. (Bitches currently being shown have won specialties interstate often).

I am lucky in that most people in my state, in my breed are friendly and polite. Highly competitive, but we all talk to each other and help each other out. There are a couple that aren't or a couple that have long running feuds with each other and are down right nasty and manipulative. I suspect that a couple run me and my dog down behind my back, but frankly, don't care, don't want to know - not worth my time.

And if you think dogs are bad, ponder that no one has yet attacked a dog which may win as they have with horses.

I have heard about, and read on this forum, case of where another exhibitor put radiator freeze in a winning dogs drinking water - dog died.

Also, in SA in recent times, someone was going around tampering with people's dog trailers. Unhitching, loosening things etc.

Haven't read the whole thread but my theory is you need to want to be there. You don't need to 'HTFU' to show or breed or even have a good time. All you need to do is know what you want to achieve and have the ability to stick to a plan. Some 'hard' people are hard because they are bitter assholes and I know some incredibly gentle, soft people who stick it out and don't let anything get to them because they know why they are there, what they want and don't play anyone's game.

I so agree. You don't have to be "hard' to take it on your chin. Have we meet? :eek:

I totally agree with this.

I don't get why people should have to HTFU to enjoy a hobby. :eek:

I have a job where a certain level of 'toughness' is expected. Fine, they pay me well to be 'tough'. I don't need spend my out of work time defending myself or my dogs against the vindictive nasties of the show world.

When those vindictive nasties are left sitting at home on weekends wondering WTF happened to their precious dog shows, I'll quite happily supply them with a mirror.

Yeah, turns out I'm not tough enough :eek:

Have cards printing with this on them

3. A member shall display good sportsmanship and conduct at all times so as to reflect credit upon themselves, the ANKC and the member’s Member Body

and hand them out every time another competitor is rude to you. :eek:

I considered giving up when I was told that to survive and to win I would have to toughen up.

I agree wholeheartedly with using sports psychology to explain what is happening to a newbie. I'd also:

- introduce them to as many people with different breeds as possible, so that they can find friends who they wont be competing with

- advise them to ignore/avoid the troublemakers

- point out that there are plenty of lovely people in dog showing, but they might not stand out as much as the ones behaving badly.

I used to play competitive chess, and found it much the same as dog showing in terms of people with bad behaviour. Except I left chess because of the bad behaviour, but I plan to stick with dog showing, having taken my own advice (above) :-)

That gives me a whole new perspective on the world at large !

CC

:whiteflag:

Yep - I was physically assaulted TWICE during club chess tournaments (not badly - just kicking) but this was so OTT, and the clubs just shrugged it off (all men, who probably felt like doing the same thing to me when I beat them LOL)

Do you mean we won't all be holding hands & singing "lovey dovey " sounds in November :coffee::whiteflag:

Yes I'll be there singing showdog, but only if I win of course, if I lose I'll storm out of the ring, rubbish the winning dogs, accuse the winning handler of sleeping with the judge and then slink off home to wash the dye out of my dogs :confused:

We recently had an exhibitor who must have gone to the same school Miranda :rofl: . After her dog got reserve challenge, she stormed out of the ring, pulled all her bitches out and loudly proclaimed that the winning exhibitor MUST be sleeping with the Judge. It was rather funny except for the fact that the winning exhibitor is an elderly lady in her 70's who has been married for over 50 years and the judge is also an elderly lady in her 70's that has been married for many many years. It does however highlight the fact that some exhibitors really do take winning just a bit too seriously....

You are telling tales on me Havasneeze :wave:

Seriously though, was this in the NS or Toy ring??

I am new.. soooo very new i dont have my dog yet lol she is concieved but not yet born bahaha

I am well prepared for waht the show ring will bring by hanging out wiht friends who show, some who dont and my breeder, she has been the best of all by setting the example - people talk so what she is winning they can say what they like who got the ribbon?? bahaha and i have heard a line- all breeds are practice for the specialties... i like it as all the nastieness seems to come from the all breeds shows - the club show was lovely everyone helping eachother and being so so nice - im sure their are rivalries and all sorts goign on but these people know how to rise above.

I know in the first few yrs things will get to me and bring me to tears but t be honest i know that the first time my baby get a fringie i will cry as well and i know which memory will stick with me the longest!! The fun and bonding wiht the dogs and friends and family outweighs the nasties by far IMO!

Above the trailer tampering was mentioned, not sure if u are confused wiht the temperings at KCC in vic - these were young children playing from waht i heard and no malice meant? correct me if im wrong though :whiteflag:

I am new.. soooo very new i dont have my dog yet lol she is concieved but not yet born bahaha

I am well prepared for waht the show ring will bring by hanging out wiht friends who show, some who dont and my breeder, she has been the best of all by setting the example - people talk so what she is winning they can say what they like who got the ribbon?? bahaha and i have heard a line- all breeds are practice for the specialties... i like it as all the nastieness seems to come from the all breeds shows - the club show was lovely everyone helping eachother and being so so nice - im sure their are rivalries and all sorts goign on but these people know how to rise above.

I know in the first few yrs things will get to me and bring me to tears but t be honest i know that the first time my baby get a fringie i will cry as well and i know which memory will stick with me the longest!! The fun and bonding wiht the dogs and friends and family outweighs the nasties by far IMO!

Above the trailer tampering was mentioned, not sure if u are confused wiht the temperings at KCC in vic - these were young children playing from waht i heard and no malice meant? correct me if im wrong though :whiteflag:

trailer tampering at SACA in south oz - and it wasn't young kids

Above the trailer tampering was mentioned, not sure if u are confused wiht the temperings at KCC in vic - these were young children playing from waht i heard and no malice meant? correct me if im wrong though :confused:

trailer tampering at SACA in south oz - and it wasn't young kids

trailer tampering happens in QLD too :whiteflag:

Do you mean we won't all be holding hands & singing "lovey dovey " sounds in November :coffee::whiteflag:

Yes I'll be there singing showdog, but only if I win of course, if I lose I'll storm out of the ring, rubbish the winning dogs, accuse the winning handler of sleeping with the judge and then slink off home to wash the dye out of my dogs :confused:

We recently had an exhibitor who must have gone to the same school Miranda :rofl: . After her dog got reserve challenge, she stormed out of the ring, pulled all her bitches out and loudly proclaimed that the winning exhibitor MUST be sleeping with the Judge. It was rather funny except for the fact that the winning exhibitor is an elderly lady in her 70's who has been married for over 50 years and the judge is also an elderly lady in her 70's that has been married for many many years. It does however highlight the fact that some exhibitors really do take winning just a bit too seriously....

You are telling tales on me Havasneeze :wave:

Seriously though, was this in the NS or Toy ring??

That would be the Toy ring :rofl:

I don't really spend enough time round the Non-Sporting ring to see much happen (not much after S for Schipperke) though I have heard a few things through the grapevine... I'm up at the Toy ring until H for Havanese goes in then it's off to the Non-Sporting ring for the Schipps. I usually get there when the Poodles are going in.

Also have trailer tampering in NSW :rofl:

Edited by Havasneeze

Even though I am new, I've added a few show people I knew on facebook and they ended up deleting me eventually! :thumbsup:

Everytime I found out, I ended up wondering what the heck I have done! But at the end of the day, if thats the way it goes, then so be it :-/.

I don't speak very much at the shows, but then again I don't either outside of the shows even at work I don't speak to customers much unless it some that I am happy to talk to and they are friendly as I work in an area where they are plainly rude and uptight! :thumbsup:

I nearly gave up showing just before the specialties early last year after hearing that some was criticizing my dog for his movement! But my breeder and a couple of friends at the show convinced me to keep going and begrudgingly entered the specialties! Come the United Pinscher specialties, with no hope and dejected that Clancy went Reserve Challenge, that time beating every Champion but one Grand Champion (The Challenge Winner). He was also a Junior in Show that day. I have been told eventually he was apparently a movement judge few months later! ;)

6 Months later, took another In Group award under an International Judge, and got his title just last month!

At the end of the day, the Judge is judging your dog in the ring, so it's their opinion that counts on the day, not the ones outside the ring!

:( :( :rofl: :D